Tesla autopilot update

spartaman64

The update will allow the car to perpendicularly park on its own. It also gets rid of the speed cap on autosteer and make it smoother. It uses hardware that tesla have been adding to their cars since october 2016. New teslas have 8 cameras providing 360 degree coverage for 250 meters. Better processing with the radar sensor allows it to see through rain, fog, dust, and even another car. The 12 ultrasonic sensors were updated to sense hard and soft objects at twice the original distance. The new cars are using nvidia's drive px2 that has 40 times the computing power of the previous computer system.  Elon musk says by the end of 2017 teslas will be fully autonomous.

A government report found that the first generation autopilot system reduced crash rates for tesla cars by 40%.

a-recent-government-report-found-that-the-first-generation-autopilot-system-has-slashed-crash-rates-for-tesla-vehicles-by-40.jpg.b3293a24f258c1e7cde8f3aaedee758d.jpg

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-enhanced-autopilot-system-self-driving-features-2017-6/#all-of-this-means-that-if-you-order-a-new-tesla-today-you-could-feasibly-have-a-fully-self-driving-car-pending-regulatory-approval-until-then-youre-getting-a-host-of-advanced-autopilot-features-15

When tesla first release autopilot they recieved lots of criticism with people saying that it is not ready and it will endanger people but the results are quite the opposite as there was a substantial decrease in crashes. At the beginning every time there was a crash while a tesla was on autopilot it is seized upon as proof of how unsafe autopilot is but it seems to me now that was just confirmation bias. Self driving cars have long been theorized to decrease car accidents but there have been lots of resistance from people who are skeptical of that saying computers can have errors etc but we are now recieving proof of that theory and that humans make errors more than computers. 

Glad to see the rapid and measurable progress.  I'm a big fan of self-driving but I quickly jumped on the hate train for Autopilot when it was first announced.  Looks like it's really come into its own now though.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Can older models get upgraded to the new cars specs in terms of cameras and such? Also, Noragami should get another season imo.

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4 

1tb hard drive

GTX 960m

15in IPS 1080p display

4 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

You'll still never see me get behind the wheel of a car I can't drive myself.

It won't be long before that means you'll just not ever get in a car again

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think you underestimate just how long it would take to roll something like this out.  It would be multiple decades before you'd even potentially see bans on cars lacking autodrive of some sort, especially considering the number of cars on the road right now.

7 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I think you underestimate just how long it would take to roll something like this out.  It would be multiple decades before you'd even potentially see bans on cars lacking autodrive of some sort, especially considering the number of cars on the road right now.

Yeah, that sounds about right.  And you can bet that once it's ready, and government see the incredible safety improvements that they'll make it law just like seatbelts, certain bumper designs, or any of the other fancy things that've happened before

15 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I wouldn't mind requirements for being able to drive (hobbyists and professionals) being taken up a few pegs. I would be adamant against banning all human drivers altogether though. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

15 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I wouldn't mind requirements for being able to drive (hobbyists and professionals) being taken up a few pegs. I would be adamant against banning all human drivers altogether though. 

You mean make it harder to get a driver's license?

7 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

You mean make it harder to get a driver's license?

Somewhat. I don't mean so hard as to require a Scandinavian Flick, but harder than merely driving the block. Demonstration of good decision making would help too. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

11 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

How about Tesla shows their worth of $51bn by investing in making their cars cheaper?

Tesla is a luxury car company. Thats like asking lamborghini to make their cars cheaper 

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Ah, so there's no reason for Tesla to be worth $51bn then. 

What does the company's worth have to do with the price of their products? Tesla is worth that much because of their assets and other factors 

2 hours ago, This kid builds pc said:

Can older models get upgraded to the new cars specs in terms of cameras and such? Also, Noragami should get another season imo.

Elon has stated while the software will improve, no. I believe this is due to HW1 vehicles having hardware from Mobileeye (or something). After an accident, they were finger pointing and the companies split. Tesla started using new hardware for HW2 vehicles. This is why some HW2 cars were actually behind HW1 cars feature wise. He has also said that the cost and hassle it would be to upgrade hardware from 1 to 2 is not worth it. 

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

How about Tesla shows their worth of $51bn by investing in making their cars cheaper?

*cough* model 3

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

How does that make any sense? The more a company is worth the cheaper its products should be?

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

4 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Somewhat. I don't mean so hard as to require a Scandinavian Flick, but harder than merely driving the block. Demonstration of good decision making would help too. 

A little harder for the testing would be nice.

A strongly increased focus on good decision making and checking for signs that the person is likely to actually follow driving laws after getting their license would be very good ideas.  

Too often I bet people get their license and two seconds later are like "f you common sense/police".

6 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Ah, so there's no reason for Tesla to be worth $51bn then. 

So Apple has no reason to be worth $800bn then? 

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Now, if only I could afford a Tesla... 

I'm going to agree with making the driving tests harder. For NJ, you literally stop at one STOP sign, turn right or left, and then parallel park. That's it... Wow!

I will also agree that self-driving vehicles should be more prominent on the roads with a manual driving option still being available like in I, Robot

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

8 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Now, if only I could afford a Tesla... 

I'm going to agree with making the driving tests harder. For NJ, you literally stop at one STOP sign, turn right or left, and then parallel park. That's it... Wow!

I will also agree that self-driving vehicles should be more prominent on the roads with a manual driving option still being available like in I, Robot

I'm still waiting for cars that don't use gas so I can drive a gas engine car and have people look at me like I'm insane for driving a bomb.  ?

(Like the scientist woman reacted to Will Smith's character's motorcycle. lol)

7 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

You do realize that Tesla has never made any profit in the last few years right? 

Their early products were "tests" for the project and the new model 3 will be the first car produced in series that is affordable.

the data doesn't really tell us the whole picture. i want damage cost per crash, damage cost for all crashes, injury severity per crash, injury severity overall, etc etc etc. that would be the real interesting data. this is just to get the bloodhounds of their back that say its unsafe imo.

16 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, that sounds about right.  And you can bet that once it's ready, and government see the incredible safety improvements that they'll make it law just like seatbelts, certain bumper designs, or any of the other fancy things that've happened before

Right up until hackers and/or terrorists find a way to take control of these vehicles and cause major accidents.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

Right up until hackers and/or terrorists find a way to take control of these vehicles and cause major accidents.

In the long term I wouldn't be any more worried about that than current systems. If they wanted to do that and could they would be hacking traffic control systems, rail and aircraft control right now. The danger lies in early technology with bad implementation and poor oversight/regulation, cases which we have already seen with cars being demonstrated as been taken over.

We do have the means and technology to make these types of things extremely secure but while there are no rules around it and we live in a profit driven society most cars makers will be implementing the lowest cost solutions not the most robust solutions, even in the case of Tesla.

Edit:

It's also quite amusing to see how no body is questioning the safety and ability of auto pilot systems on planes which can actually land a jumbo jet in fairly bad weather conditions. It's currently a given/accepted fact that auto pilot is totally safe and in air accidents pilot error is the go to first point of call for blame.