Atari announces new console

Jito463
1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Exclusivity doesn't hurt the market, at all. If it did, then the XBOne would have been a failure, as it has very few exclusives compared to the PS4, which has an exclusives list that is a drop of water compared to the exclusives PCs have available to them.

It's another thing to drive competition.

It may not hurt the market from Microsoft's standpoint, but it certainly does from the consumer's standpoint. Are you seriously going to tell me with a straight face that being forced to buy another box to play a game for arbitrary reasons is somehow good for me? PC "exclusives" are different in that no deal was signed where the developer receives money in exchange for not porting the game elsewhere, unlike console exclusives. What competition? The box itself should either offer enough value and features to compete or not exist in the first place. Right now if I wanted to play all currently top rated games I'd have to own 3 boxes and a pc. With this, the number of boxes goes up to 4 (assuming they can get any good games on there) - when in theory there's no reason I shouldn't be able to run everything from my pc, save perhaps switch games since it's a handheld.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

but it certainly does from the consumer's standpoint. Are you seriously going to tell me with a straight face that being forced to buy another box to play a game for arbitrary reasons is somehow good for me?

Right, who's holding a gun to your head if you don't but an XBOne? Or a PS4? You're not being forced to buy shit. It's not like 99% of these games are unique, or bring anything new to the table.

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Right now if I wanted to play all currently top rated games I'd have to own 3 boxes and a pc.

Good thing most people either genuinely don't give a shit about playing top rated games just because they're top rated games. They play what appeals to them, on the system that appeals to them, and shrug their shoulders when another top rated game, that is ultimately just another copy of a copy of a game, isn't on their system. They accept that one game, that they might like, isn't on their console, and move on with their lives. Just like anyone that uses Windows accepts that Final Cut Pro X isn't on Windows, anyone that uses Linux accepts that a good selection of Steam games aren't available to them.

What few people that actually feel compulsed to play the games, will buy the console, play the game, and then sell both or keep it for future exclusives. Not a big deal to them that they have "extra boxes," because that's what they chose.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

17 hours ago, Mooshi said:

As neat as this is, the console market is already flooded. Both Sony and MS already have mini PCs and Nintendo is the only unique console.

I beg to differ about the Switch being unique - it's a glorified NVIDIA Shield Tablet w/ a custom OS... about the same as PS4 and XBO be glorified PC's w/ a custom OS ;)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Right, who's holding a gun to your head if you don't but an XBOne? Or a PS4? You're not being forced to buy shit. It's not like 99% of these games are unique, or bring anything new to the table.

Good thing most people either genuinely don't give a shit about playing top rated games just because they're top rated games. They play what appeals to them, on the system that appeals to them, and shrug their shoulders when another top rated game, that is ultimately just another copy of a copy of a game, isn't on their system. They accept that one game, that they might like, isn't on their console, and move on with their lives. Just like anyone that uses Windows accepts that Final Cut Pro X isn't on Windows, anyone that uses Linux accepts that a good selection of Steam games aren't available to them.

What few people that actually feel compulsed to play the games, will buy the console, play the game, and then sell both or keep it for future exclusives. Not a big deal to them that they have "extra boxes," because that's what they chose.

Read again, "being forced to buy another box to play a game". Man, where do you get such bad arguments? "You don't have to play those games!" - sure, and I don't have to play any games at all for that matter, what is your point?

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The top rated games thing is just an example to show that if I like what the majority seems to like (which I'm sure you agree is not that far fetched given the definition of majority) then I need multiple boxes to enjoy it. Accepting a shitty situation doesn't make it any less shitty and doesn't mean we don't want it to change... again, what is your point?

"Accept it and move on with your life" is an extremely lame argument that doesn't address any of the concerns here and basically tells me to ignore the problem because you don't like talking about it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This has gotta be a Steam Box with some Atari UI and shaped like a 2600, as no way the company has the money to build anything to try to challenge Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo. And probably with a horrible controller like the 5200 and Jaguar had. xD

21 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Wasn't Atari's failed hardware business what nearly killed the entire videogame industry once already?

I'd be weary.

Not really, it was more to do with zero quality control leading to every man and his dog churning out tripe, calling it a game and selling it for full price.

Consumers lost confidence, nobody bought anything and everything crashed. Remember how hardcore Nintendo pushed QC & IP control back in the NES days? They did that for a reason.

If anything Atari hardware was responsible for bringing gaming to the masses in the living room.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)