Should I Get a Master's Degree in IT?

Hey everyone,

I'm in college studying IT, and my parents keep bugging me about getting a master's degree. In my opinion it's unnecessary, but they think a regular degree will get me nowhere without a master's.

What do you think? Have any of you majored/mastered in IT? What are your personal experiences if you have any in this situation? I'm not solely basing my choice off of the opinions in here, so don't worry. I'm going to have a chat with my academic adviser later in the year about it, and make my decision before I graduate a few years from now.

Thanks.

What kind of IT?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

9 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

What kind of IT?

I suppose that information would help, but I'm not sure yet.

10 hours ago, Kyle8497 said:

I'm in college studying IT, and my parents keep bugging me about getting a master's degree.

I totally agree with your parents.

A Masters degree is necessary here in Germany when you want to climb the corporate ladder and earn decent money.. In fact, I have seen a few bachelor informatics students that return to university because of that reason.

I don't even have any college and I work in I.T. and make enough to afford a house, have a car and a motorcycle and live decently, have a true vacation once a year. Then again, I live in the ghetto so I guess thats not too hard since everything is cheap here.

I think it might depend where you live, or your luck. I know my situation is just pure luck.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex GX1, Intel Pentium 3 @ 450MHz, 128MB PC133 RAM, Windows 98 Second Edition, Office 97' Professional

Food for thought: https://www.goodcall.com/news/how-much-more-can-you-make-with-a-masters-degree-01529

You're parents aren't wrong. But not all career options require a MS. There are benefits to a graduate degree, some employers will consider your time spent obtaining your graduate degree as work experience. Most jobs pay better. 

Some extra things to consider: Try getting a year long internship after you graduate. Your employer may hire you and offer incentives in getting a graduate degree to further your career. Also, start studying for the GRE.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

The salary difference is what, +20-30% over a bachelors?

From what i have seen online, only research and development personnel or team leading roles require a Master degree.

But hey, i dont even have a Bachelors degree nor will ever have anyways, so i suppose you should simply ask to your teachers that most definetly have one.

Groomlake Authority

Depends what area of IT you are aiming for.

I know several peeps who get paid north of 70-80K a year and they only have an associate or bachelor degree.  On the other hand, they have several certifications to back up their experience.  At least State side, most employers prefer people with actually on hands experience with equipment over a person just coming out of school.  So, definitely get an internship somewhere to get on hands experience.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU