7900X reviewed!

PCGuy_5960
Just now, done12many2 said:

I'm very biased. Asus is all I do these days, but the Strix was kinda bad news for x99. 

I had a couple of bad experiences with MSI CS and I'm not a fan of their BIOS/UEFI. 

I say ball hard. :)

Jesus...I hate you.  How much are we thinking that monster is going to cost?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

7 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Price/performance is not great, but, honestly, that's not unexpected :D

Source:http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/107017-intel-core-i9-7900x-14nm-skylake-x/

Reaching 100c  at 4.7Ghz with 1.3V !! :o Both Noctua D15S and 280mm AIO couldn't cope.

putting 1.3V through the Core i9-7900X veins resulted in temperature soaring beyond 100ºC and automatic throttling. We swapped out our favoured Noctua NH-D15S in favour of an EVGA CLC 280 liquid cooler but even that couldn't cope

"However, temperatures were definitely a concern with Cinebench and Terragen pushing 100°C with our 240mm AIO liquid cooler. As a result, while stable and potentially tameable under custom water-cooling, we decided to go for 4.6GHz for benchmarking, which required a super-low 1.22V. Interestingly our Core i7-6950X ran much cooler despite using a significantly higher voltage, albeit at 4.4GHz. This could well be due to thermal paste having been used between the heatspreader and CPU core with the new Skylake-X CPUs, in which case delidding could potentially yield significant benefits given the high heat density."

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/06/16/intel-core-i9-7900x-and-x299-chipset-revie/8

giphy.gif

The rest of it looks fantastic though, bar price of course. :P

Bring on Threadripper comparison reviews! Daddy wants to see which system he's going to get, my poor 5820K is sweating bullets doing renders and encoding.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

If 7800x or the likes can hit 5 ghz we may have a new gaming champ.

Fine, the 7900x already seems to be the gaming champ but it's price is way outta reach :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

39 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Reaching 100c  at 4.7Ghz with 1.3V !! :o Both Noctua D15S and 280mm AIO couldn't cope.

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/06/16/intel-core-i9-7900x-and-x299-chipset-revie/8

The rest of it looks fantastic though, bar price of course. :P

Bring on Threadripper comparison reviews! Daddy wants to see which system he's going to get, my poor 5820K is sweating bullets doing renders and encoding.

I think that anyone who realistically expects to cool a 10 core chip at 4.6 to 4.7 GHz with 1.3v on the latest architecture with an air cooler or an AIO is nothing short of an idiot. This includes the reviewers quoted.  

The fact that we can hit those clock speeds it what's impressive.  

It's on us to cool it should we chose to push things that high.  Intel just gave us the option to do so, which I find better then them somehow producing slower silicon and limiting us to 4 GHz or something like that.  

4.7 GHz @ 1.2x volts and others getting 4.8 GHz.  Damn impressive.  It must take a lot to impress you.  -_-

I highlighted the part that you left.

Capture.JPG

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

If 7800x or the likes can hit 5 ghz we may have a new gaming champ.

Fine, the 7900x already seems to be the gaming champ but it's price is way outta reach :P 

The 7740k will more than likely be better at gaming. The cache system changes appears like it might be an issue in a number of games. (Everything is optimized for the old system/Kaby Lake's. It's part of the same issues that Ryzen ran into.)

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

The 7740k will more than likely be better at gaming. The cache system changes appears like it might be an issue in a number of games. (Everything is optimized for the old system/Kaby Lake's. It's part of the same issues that Ryzen ran into.)

The cache has just had size changed and the L3 was changed to a victim cache. There's no CCX stuff that's going on with Ryzen.

Also it's 7740x, not k :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I wonder how my push/pull h115i is going to manage a delided 7820x.  Do you think it will run much cooler than the 7900x?  Is this going to be the chip that is going to push me to a full blown custom loop?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

I think that anyone who realistically expects to cool a 10 core chip at 4.6 to 4.7 GHz with 1.3v on the latest architecture with an air cooler or an AIO is nothing short of an idiot. This includes the reviewers quoted.  

It's on us to cool it should we chose to push things that high.  Intel just gave us the option to do so, which I find better then them somehow producing slower silicon and limiting us to 4 GHz or something like that.  

If they were soldered that extra 10 degrees would help a nice amount.

I wonder why neither Hexus nor Bit-Tech showed overall temp differences. I would have liked to know how well the CPU runs at 4Ghz boost on all cores for encoding to see how the D15S coped with it.

Will be interesting how the 8 core stacks up, and then looking at full platform cost to performance between this and Threadripper.

If I go X299 I atleast have a Noctua D15S to put on right away.

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

The cache has just had size changed and the L3 was changed to a victim cache. There's no CCX stuff that's going on with Ryzen.

Also it's 7740x, not k :P 

Good point. 7740k wouldn't be EXTREME!!!1!!!!!111!!! enough.

Wow, I just realized that Intel has gone for 90s cringe over 80s cringe.  I think the 80s cringe will hold up better for AMD.

Just now, Valentyn said:

If they were soldered that extra 10 degrees would help a nice amount.

I wonder why neither Hexus nor Bit-Tech showed overall temp differences. I would have liked to know how well the CPU runs at 4Ghz boost on all cores for encoding to see how the D15S coped with it.

Will be interesting how the 8 core stacks up, and then looking at full platform cost to performance between this and Threadripper.

If I go X299 I atleast have a Noctua D15S to put on right away.

Did you notice this part that you left out?  It wouldn't have looked as negative, but you probably should have included it.

They only pushed to 1.3v when they were trying to go higher then 4.7 GHz.

Our chip seems to be a good one and had no qualms about running at 4.7GHz across all 10 cores. Heck, it needed only 1.25V to make it happen.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Did you notice this part that you left out?  It wouldn't have looked as negative, but you probably should have included it.

They only pushed to 1.3v when they were trying to go higher then 4.7 GHz.

Yeah, but I want temps. They never mentioned the temps of it, only that at 1.3V it reached 100c.

So even if it hit 90-95 at 1.25v it's still silly amounts.

Why have none of these reviewers included "stock/boost" temps under loads. :(

4 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Yeah, but I want temps. They never mentioned the temps of it, only that at 1.3V it reached 100c.

They probably rushed their reviews so they could be first. If they don't actually have an NDA they're under, speed would be most important to them.  Doesn't help actual buying decisions, but, well, we're talking about them. Which means the speed "worked". 

Just now, Valentyn said:

.05v makes a much bigger difference in Kaby Lake then it does in Skylake so I wouldn't doubt that .05v has a big impact on temps. Voltages and their scaling are dramatically lower and different with these newer chips.

Either way, cooling a 4.7 GHz 10 core overclock with an air cooler or an AIO is just asking for trouble.  

Truthfully, I wouldn't put too much faith into either of these reviews.  

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

They probably rushed their reviews so they could be first. If they don't actually have an NDA they're under, speed would be most important to them.  Doesn't help actual buying decisions, but, well, we're talking about them. Which means the speed "worked". 

.05v makes a much bigger difference in Kaby Lake then it does in Skylake so I wouldn't doubt that .05v has a big impact on temps. Voltages and their scaling are dramatically lower and different with these newer chips.

Either way, cooling a 4.7 GHz 10 core overclock with an air cooler or an AIO is just asking for trouble.  

Truthfully, I wouldn't put too much faith into either of these reviews.  

Aye, it really looks like they were rushed out ASAP to simply get the clicks.

Not nearly thorough enough.

Hopefully the other reviewers give us some thorough ones.

Just now, Valentyn said:

Aye, it really looks like they were rushed out ASAP to simply get the clicks.

Not nearly thorough enough.

Hopefully the other reviewers give us some thorough ones.

It took around 2 months for Ryzen reviews to start to make sense.  While SK-X isn't a completely new Uarch, that cache structure change is pretty dang massive.  It's going to cause patches & optimization changes at the Compiler-level.  It's really going to be months before we know much beyond the Gaming performance. (There won't be patches for gaming on X299, I assume.)

Jesus...Jet.com has m.2 960 Evo 500gb for $199.99.  Had to order another one.  m.2 raid 0 here I come...lol

39 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

4.7 GHz @ 1.2x volts and others getting 4.8 GHz.  Damn impressive.  It must take a lot to impress you.  -_-

I highlighted the part that you left.

Capture.JPG

I second this. Let's not even forget, that was 100C under cinebench. Not exactly a "hot" program if you ask me. Without a custom loop, I fully expect these things to throttle at stock clocks/voltages under heavy AVX load (especially if AVX-512 is involved, hence another reason why I don't expect it's wide adoption). 

Basically, get a heavy pump and a 1080mm rad if you truly wish to attempt to cool one of these bad boys. Even then, you are gonna have to show some restraint and be realistic with the overclocks depending on what kind of load you intend to throw at these CPU's. Delidding will be far riskier this time around, even with a tool (as Der8aur himself said risk is still there) which only up's the ante, given the initial cost of these CPU's. I don't exactly expect people to be jumping at the opportunity to risk their $1000 CPU's by delidding them. @done12many2 feel free to show me how crazy you really are, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Don't be too happy, this chip runs at 100 degree c in cinebench lol!

stress test like occt makes it burning 

i love my soldered 6900k

18 minutes ago, MageTank said:

@done12many2 feel free to show me how crazy you really are, lol. 

Coming to a LTT thread near you...  soon.  :D

I'll have to wait for der8bauer's tool or something equivalent as there's no way I'm putting one of these in a vice.

3 minutes ago, ELIES said:

Don't be too happy, this chip runs at 100 degree c in cinebench lol!

stress test like occt makes it burning 

i love my soldered 6900k

Talk about low situational awareness.  xD  Look up one post.  

4 hours ago, samcool55 said:

True, but still that's a shitty move to do to a person that lost a relative.

No offense, but you're not "owed" anything because someone died. And I'm sure if you called again you would get someone who would help.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

32 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I second this. Let's not even forget, that was 100C under cinebench. Not exactly a "hot" program if you ask me. Without a custom loop, I fully expect these things to throttle at stock clocks/voltages under heavy AVX load (especially if AVX-512 is involved, hence another reason why I don't expect it's wide adoption). 

Basically, get a heavy pump and a 1080mm rad if you truly wish to attempt to cool one of these bad boys. Even then, you are gonna have to show some restraint and be realistic with the overclocks depending on what kind of load you intend to throw at these CPU's. Delidding will be far riskier this time around, even with a tool (as Der8aur himself said risk is still there) which only up's the ante, given the initial cost of these CPU's. I don't exactly expect people to be jumping at the opportunity to risk their $1000 CPU's by delidding them. @done12many2 feel free to show me how crazy you really are, lol. 

Heh, I have  1260mm worth of rad space, capacity to expand it up to 3000mm+, and 25 gallons of thermal mass.  I ordered a .925 silver Aquacomputer NEXT Vario *just* for the 7980XE and also have a Alphacool Eisblock XPX on the shelf untouched.  My body is ready for this debauchery of delid direct die watercooling.

11e10b3ae1b556afc82e63ae900c2c140f53f5465baf4ceb195cf77b864da638.jpg

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

No offense, but you're not "owed" anything because someone died. And I'm sure if you called again you would get someone who would help.

Truthfully, Intel's CS is pretty damn amazing if you experience it first hand.  I recently RMA'd my 5960x.  I talked to them one day and had a brand new chip in my hand the next.  I elected to pay for the cross shipping option for $25, but that included them overnighting me the new chip along with a prepaid shipping label for the return of the old chip.  To make things even better, the new chip is absolutely golden for overclocking.  

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Heh, I have  1260mm worth of rad space, capacity to expand it up to 3000mm+, and 25 gallons of thermal mass.  I ordered a .925 silver Aquacomputer NEXT Vario *just* for the 7980XE.  My body is ready for this debauchery.

I can't do the math, but my 5 x 360mm rads might be just enough to boot a 7980XE at 4.5 GHz.  xD

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Truthfully, Intel's CS is pretty damn amazing if you experience it first hand.  I recently RMA'd my 5960x.  I talked to them one day and had a brand new chip in my hand the next.  I elected to pay for the cross shipping option for $25, but that included them overnighting me the new chip along with a prepaid shipping label for the return of the old chip.  To make things even better, the new chip is absolutely golden for overclocking.  

They weren't happy with me when I returned a relidded 3770K...or 4770K can't remember.   I put the lid from a different batch back on it....oops :)

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

They weren't happy with me when I returned a relidded 3770K...or 4770K can't remember.   I put the lid from a different batch back on it....oops :)

Yeah, they probably viewed that as some type of deception I'm sure.  I bet they honored your warranty though.  :D

I bet PTPP on the 7980XE is going to be $75 or more.