7900X reviewed!

PCGuy_5960
Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

I'm referring to comments that act like Intel suddenly designed their mesh interconnect and a HCC Skylake package in response to Ryzen.  For sure we wouldn't have a > 10 core chip if it wasn't for AMD, but it's not like Intel is having to actually scramble making new chips to be competitive.  I'd love to be in a position where my competitor has to spend 5 years to make something and all I need to do is update an Excel spreadsheet to beat it.

I understand that. My point is, the product stack itself is evolving quickly because of the competition. Do I think Intel is afraid of AMD? Not in the slightest. They are still going to hold the performance crown, no matter what AMD does. Intel has a very robust Xeon lineup that they can draw upon at any time if they truly want to win the "core war". Intel is instead, hedging their bets on the "megatasking" enthusiast community, giving slightly fewer cores at a much faster speed. It's a very solid bet, with the only downside being it's relatively steep price. AMD is going all-in on a "lifting on a budget" design, that is going to entice people that need the raw horsepower, but can't quite afford real Xeons.

Intel is responding to Ryzen, but not in the context that they are scrambling to design something new. Their response is mostly them moving their own products around to answer Ryzens "threat" appropriately. I don't believe the interconnect was designed because Ryzen did it, and I also don't believe they didn't plan this years in advance (given how long it takes to produce working silicon). My entire point was, both sides are trying to compete now, and because of this, things are going to be changing rapidly. Rather than just Intel releasing "niche side-grades", we have another company fighting for marketshare with an entirely different approach to win the consumers money. All in all, it's good. It should hopefully address the stagnation of the CPU market that we've seen for the past few years.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

5 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I'm referring to comments that act like Intel suddenly designed their mesh interconnect and a HCC Skylake package in response to Ryzen.  For sure we wouldn't have a > 10 core chip if it wasn't for AMD, but it's not like Intel is having to actually scramble making new chips to be competitive.  I'd love to be in a position where my competitor has to spend 5 years to make something and all I need to do is update an Excel spreadsheet to beat it.

Hey, have you seen what kind of work it takes to update an excel sheet it's at least a weeks worth of work. It's painstaking. Lol

42 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

That's a pretty standard warranty policy. Most aren't transferrable.

True, but still that's a shitty move to do to a person that lost a relative.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

9 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

The Mesh release looked bad because AMD has been talking about Infinity Fabric for a while.  There was probably no way to avoid that without just not really mentioning it exists.  I think it was a hit they needed to take, but I'm really curious to see how it performs. 

5 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

True, but still that's a shitty move to do to a person that lost a relative.

There's always going to be someone that has some sob story and if Intel gives in once then everyone is going to have "dying relatives" to try to get secondhand warranty service. Oh let's just have Intel start checking death certificates *eyeroll*.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

4 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

There's always going to be someone that has some sob story and if Intel gives in once then everyone is going to have "dying relatives" to try to get secondhand warranty service. Oh let's just have Intel start checking death certificates *eyeroll*.

They could adopt EVGA's philosophy, and just warrant the product and not the person, lol. Part of why EVGA is so respected, they stand by their products regardless of the circumstances. Friend of mine broke his KPE after borking his LN2 pot, and EVGA replaced it without question, even though it was clearly his fault.

That being said, I've also had friends that delidded their CPU's, fried them, and Intel still replaced them. They didn't even buy that "overclocking warranty" that they offer. I guess it depends on who you get for a customer service rep. I just don't really understand the whole "non-transferring" aspect of warranties. As long as the product failed within it's normal warranty window, it really shouldn't matter whether or not the product was transferred to another owner. Then again, I don't really understand business in general.

If anyone is interested and too lazy to do some math: 

7460X = 60,5$ per thread
7740X = 42,375$ per thread
7800X = 32,417$ per thread
7820X = 37,438$ per thread
7900X = 49,95$ per thread
7920X = 49,95$ per thread
7940X = 49,96$ per thread
7960X = 53,1$ per thread
7980XE = 55,53$ per thread

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/06/16/intel-core-i9-7900x-and-x299-chipset-revie/1

Another Review dropped.

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/06/16/intel-core-i9-7900x-and-x299-chipset-revie/6

The gaming performance brings up a LOT of questions.  That new Cache architecture would appear to have some negative scaling effects right now.  (Oh, look, it'll need patches! Haha.)

27 minutes ago, MageTank said:

They could adopt EVGA's philosophy, and just warrant the product and not the person, lol. Part of why EVGA is so respected, they stand by their products regardless of the circumstances. Friend of mine broke his KPE after borking his LN2 pot, and EVGA replaced it without question, even though it was clearly his fault.

I misaligned a DDR4 stick and broke a DIMM slot retention clip on my motherboard.  Despite having a 10 year extended warranty with advanced next day replacement option, they denied my warranty and wanted to charge me $200 to repair the mobo.  Understandable but if don't treat your high roller customers well I'll just go to other brands no problemo.  EVGA mobo BIOSes also kinda suck and their technical responsiveness is poor.  I served them up a X99 BIOS bug on a silver platter and they never fixed it.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

3 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I misaligned a DDR4 stick and broke a DIMM slot retention clip on my motherboard.  Despite having a 10 year extended warranty with advanced next day replacement option, they denied my warranty and wanted to charge me $200 to repair the mobo.  Understandable but if don't treat your high roller customers well I'll just go to other brands no problemo.

On your EVGA board? My friend sanded his 8 pin EPS on his Z97 classified to make it fit in a case that didn't support E-ATX, and when his board eventually popped, he sent it back for repair. Oddly enough, they sent him back a different board (either new, or refurbished) as it didn't have the sanded 8 pin EPS anymore. Seems odd that EVGA would deny a warranty claim over something as simple as a retention clip. Even MSI warrantied my board for a broken retention clip, and they were known to have CS issues back in the day.

That could also be another case of getting the wrong CS rep at the wrong time. I used to defend Newegg for their amazing CS, but was burned by them twice in a row recently. Canceled my premier membership over it, and have not purchased anything from Newegg since. 

Just now, MageTank said:

That could also be another case of getting the wrong CS rep at the wrong time.

Could have been, but that plus not fixing broken 5960X OC support on their micro2 board pretty much added them to my shit list for mobos.  It sucks that EVGA is the only brand though that offers cross shipping on RMA's.  ASRock has been pretty solid for me the past 5 years, but their RMA turnaround time is apalling (like over a month).  Asus displeased me with their Rampage V Extreme sometimes refusing to post on reboot unless I turned it off and back on.  Gigabyte is solid and hard to kill but man their BIOS is just phoned in with zero explanations or organization.

Tangent :)

Could have been, but that plus not fixing broken 5960X OC support on their micro2 board pretty much added them to my shit list for mobos.  It sucks that EVGA is the only brand though that offers cross shipping on RMA's.  ASRock has been pretty solid for me the past 5 years, but their RMA turnaround time is apalling (like over a month).  Asus displeased me with their Rampage V Extreme sometimes refusing to post on reboot unless I turned it off and back on.  Gigabyte is solid and hard to kill but man their BIOS is just phoned in with zero explanations or organization.

Tangent :)

I agree entirely with your view on mobo's. It's also why I personally use ASRock for my boards, as their performance and quality seem pretty high. Luckily, I've not had to deal with their RMA process. ASUS was an utter nightmare, which saddens me because they offer amazing features and performance for the price, but I just can't go through another RMA nightmare again. EVGA, to me, is not the option one goes to when looking for extreme performance, but rather, "elegance" as their boards tend to look less gamer-y, and more classy. Sad to hear that you've had issues with them though, and hopefully it's an isolated issue. I know others had issues with their GPU VRM's from EVGA as well, but my 1070 is still alive and kicking, despite being from that very batch of GPU's.

On a more on-topic note, what's with the random sporadic reviews of the 7900X? Has the NDA been officially lifted? Or are these people breaking NDA? Seems odd that the only outlets that are releasing reviews, are lesser known outlets. 

Just now, MageTank said:

On a more on-topic note, what's with the random sporadic reviews of the 7900X? Has the NDA been officially lifted? Or are these people breaking NDA? Seems odd that the only outlets that are releasing reviews, are lesser known outlets. 

I am pretty sure that those are early reviews, they aren't very thorough 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, MageTank said:

Embargo lifts the 19th 6:01AM PST.  These guys are probably "borrowing" review units from bigger publications.  Or maybe they have friends who work at tech shops that got these chips in stock.

Embargo lifts the 19th 6:01AM PST.  These guys are probably "borrowing" review units from bigger publications.  Or maybe they have friends who work at tech shops that got these chips in stock.

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/06/16/intel-core-i9-7900x-and-x299-chipset-revie/1

Yeah, another review dropped.  Something is a little funky.

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

I am pretty sure that those are early reviews, they aren't very thorough 

So the NDA isn't lifted? Just wondering when we can expect some reviews from more... "reputable" sources. I wouldn't mind more information to compare against the results we see so far.

Ah, so they can technically skirt around the NDA since they didn't sign one? While that's one way of doing things, it's likely going to damage their chances of legitimately receiving review samples in the future. Seems like a bad idea in the long run.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

So the NDA isn't lifted? Just wondering when we can expect some reviews from more... "reputable" sources. I wouldn't mind more information to compare against the results we see so far.

Yep, as @AnonymousGuy said it lifts the 19th 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

8 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Ah, so they can technically skirt around the NDA since they didn't sign one? While that's one way of doing things, it's likely going to damage their chances of legitimately receiving review samples in the future. Seems like a bad idea in the long run.

Anyone giving or letting them use units is probably breaking agreements with intel. 

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Yeah, another review dropped.  Something is a little funky.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

I'm still debating my mobo for X299... Asus or ASRock. Gigabyte is solid but they don't support Thunderbolt. I can't buy a gimped product even if I might have no intention of using it. I prefer Gigabyte's Creative Sound to Asus' SupremeFX. Creative is SO much better. Too bad about the Thunderbolt. I noticed ASRock uses Realtek ALC 1220. Is that any good? I'd rather have "solid" onboard audio over buying a sound card. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

I'm still debating my mobo for X299... Asus or ASRock. Gigabyte is solid but they don't support Thunderbolt. I can't buy a gimped product even if I might have no intention of using it. I prefer Gigabyte's Creative Sound to Asus' SupremeFX. Creative is SO much better. Too bad about the Thunderbolt. I noticed ASRock uses Realtek ALC 1220. Is that any good? I'd rather have "solid" onboard audio over buying a sound card. 

In the same boat but with Asus or MSI.  I hate the vertical M.2 slot Asus uses for its second.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

6 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

In the same boat but with Asus or MSI.  I hate the vertical M.2 slot Asus uses for its second.

No vertical M.2 slots on this bad bay.  :D

It has two DIMM2 slots for a total of 4 NVMe M.2s without taking up any real board real estate. 

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-VI-APEX/

P_setting_000_1_90_end_500.png

18 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

I don't like how bare bones Realtek's software is.  Want to be able to turn off some of the 5.1 channels if you don't have those speakers installed?  Can't.  Don't think you can even decrease dB level on channels like the subwoofer even.

Soundblaster control panel does it all no problem.

18 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

No vertical M.2 slots on this bad bay.  :D

It has two DIMM2 slots for a total of 4 NVMe M.2s without taking up any real board real estate. 

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-VI-APEX/

P_setting_000_1_90_end_500.png

I know...I just don't know if I can convince myself to ball that hard.  I am tentatively picking between the Asus Strix X299-E and MSI X299 Pro Crabon AC.  Any thoughts on either of those?

4 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

I know...I just don't know if I can convince myself to ball that hard.  I am tentatively picking between the Asus Strix X299-E and MSI X299 Pro Crabon AC.  Any thoughts on either of those?

I'm very biased. Asus is all I do these days, but the Strix was kinda bad news for x99. 

I had a couple of bad experiences with MSI CS and I'm not a fan of their BIOS/UEFI. 

I say ball hard. :)