7900X reviewed!

PCGuy_5960
1 minute ago, oporto92 said:

any words on reliability/compatibility with the 7900X when it comes to heavy-multi tasking and video editing and rendering? I'm considering getting one for work. Thanks

Should be what you should expect: quite good. I guess the biggest question is if a 7900X is really necessary for you.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Should be what you should expect: quite good. I guess the biggest question is if a 7900X is really necessary for you.

4K 10-bit (4:2:2) 60 FPS 400mbs videos...  I think so, but I dont know for sure.

Just now, oporto92 said:

4K 10-bit (4:2:2) 60 FPS 400mbs videos...  I think so, but I dont know for sure.

That answers your question for you. If you don't wanna wait for Threadripper (predictable as it may be, honestly) then it'd probably be a worthy investment, especially if you're willing to overclock.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

7 hours ago, VagabondWraith said:

Just like the TITAN Xp vs 1080 Ti. If you have the money for the best, there's no need tgaf about what others deem as "value." At a certain point, it becomes less about value and more about having the best.

7 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Well said.

I disagree with your disagreement.  xD

What I mean to say is that there are a great deal of non-professionals that are simply enthusiasts that want the best of the best regardless 

Sorry poor example to pick as for GPUs it doesn't work that way at all. You can get 2 1080Tis in SLI for the price of the Titan, which will out perform it. Also anyone defending what Nvidia did to Titan buyers this gen was shameful.

1. "This is the Titan X (pascal) the pinnacle of pascal."

2. Less than a year later "This is the 1080Ti with performance equivalent to the Titan at half the cost" All Titan X owners are now fairly salty after that "but hey that's fine I guess its not better afterall and I got it 1st"

3. 2 Months later, "This is the Titan Xp the pinnacle of pascal!" That 2nd nut punch was the final straw for Titan X owners. "WTF you told us the Titan X (pascal) was the best you could do with pascal?!" "Hehe oops but don't worry for a mere $1200 you can be the best again!"

3 minutes ago, oporto92 said:

Looks like Skylake X is great for you, although if you don't need a new system right now; it could be worth waiting for Threadripper to see how it'll do compared to it.

I deal with similar video myself, and the 5820K is struggling to say the least. I'm in a similar situation as you, but I want to wait a little to see what the competition brings.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Why is the rebrand of Skylake uses xx40X in their cpu model number? Does not make sense to me

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

2 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Why is the rebrand of Skylake uses xx40X in their cpu model number? Does not make sense to me

You mean the Kabylake-X??

Just watch Linus's video. No one can figure out why the hell Intel releases these two pointless CPUs.

4 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Looks like Skylake X is great for you, although if you don't need a new system right now; it could be worth waiting for Threadripper to see how it'll do compared to it.

I deal with similar video myself, and the 5820K is struggling to say the least. I'm in a similar situation as you, but I want to wait a little to see what the competition brings.

True, and I have a intel 920. I struggle with 1080p, have already upgraded all my camera gear and im ready for 4K but there isnt even a point in shooting 4K if I cant even edit it.  Threadripper is around the corner, but I have the feeling that AMD will have more launch issues than intel and reliability/compatibility are very important.

Just now, Deli said:

You mean the Kabylake-X??

Just watch Linus's video. No one can figure out why the hell Intel releases these two pointless CPUs.

Oh yeah my friend, one socket holds two generations. Confusing, and what happened to Intel gen 8? And in the first impression i thought skylake x is like i5-6640X

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

2 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Oh yeah my friend, one socket holds two generations. Confusing, and what happened to Intel gen 8? And in the first impression i thought skylake x is like i5-6640X

I think most people can simply ignore the two Kabylake-X CPUs.

The Skylake-X is where the focus should be. Besides they seem to run hot when overclock. Performance-wise they are quite a step above the older Broadwell-E. Only if Intel will drop the price, like $799 for the 7900X, to compete with AMD TR. That will be golden.

13 minutes ago, oporto92 said:

True, and I have a intel 920. I struggle with 1080p, have already upgraded all my camera gear and im ready for 4K but there isnt even a point in shooting 4K if I cant even edit it.  Threadripper is around the corner, but I have the feeling that AMD will have more launch issues than intel and reliability/compatibility are very important.

I'm actually not too worries about the AMD launch issues. This skylake X launch already has reviewers getting last minute Bios updates for performance and stability. 

Feels a lot like the X99 launch, minus the horrible RAM issues. 

Threadripper is just double RyZen cores, on a similar platform. I think their launch will go a lot better, especially since all the much needed bios updates and AGESA updates are out now. 

So if you do wait for Threadripper that also gives Intel and Mobo makers time sort out any Bios issues, and you get to compare the two. 

Rather win win in my book. As I said though, if you need one right now, grab Skylake X, it'll do you well. Just slap a decent cooler on that chip since you'll be encoding and using AVX which really stresses these CPUs for thermals it seems. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

8 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

I'm actually not too worries about the AMD launch issues. This skylake X launch already has reviewers getting last minute Bios updates for performance and stability. 

Feels a lot like the X99 launch, minus the horrible RAM issues. 

Threadripper is just double RyZen cores, on a similar platform. I think their launch will go a lot better, especially since all the much needed bios updates and AGESA updates are out now. 

So if you do wait for Threadripper that also gives Intel and Mobo makers time sort out any Bios issues, and you get to compare the two. 

Rather win win in my book. As I said though, if you need one right now, grab Skylake X, it'll do you well. Just slap a decent cooler on that chip since you'll be encoding and using AVX which really stresses these CPUs for thermals it seems. 

Thanks, its satisfying to hear this. I think I will preorder the cpu and mobo only and if intel seems like the better choice I will finish the build and if not i will be able to sell at retail price without issues as it will be sold out everywhere for a while. specially if ryzen launches sooner than later which I sense will be the case to better compete with intel.

16 minutes ago, Deli said:

I think most people can simply ignore the two Kabylake-X CPUs.

The Skylake-X is where the focus should be. Besides they seem to run hot when overclock. Performance-wise they are quite a step above the older Broadwell-E. Only if Intel will drop the price, like $799 for the 7900X, to compete with AMD TR. That will be golden.

The Haswell ages is back

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

10 minutes ago, oporto92 said:

Thanks, its satisfying to hear this. I think I will preorder the cpu and mobo only and if intel seems like the better choice I will finish the build and if not i will be able to sell at retail price without issues as it will be sold out everywhere for a while. specially if ryzen launches sooner than later which I sense will be the case to better compete with intel.

Since you have a 920 you got me thinking about a very temporary 970/980, checked ebay and lol nope way too much.

50 minutes ago, oporto92 said:

You'll need to wait probably 1-2 weeks to get a better picture of your specific use case. Reality is that 12c through 18c parts are coming over the next few months from Intel.  And Threadripper from AMD in about 6ish weeks.  There's going to be a Cost/Performance curve for your work, so you'll want to wait a little bit for the new launches to roll out.

21 minutes ago, oporto92 said:

I think I will preorder the cpu and mobo only and if intel seems like the better choice I will finish the build and if not i will be able to sell at retail price without issues as it will be sold out everywhere for a while.

I doubt these will be sold out :P 

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

You'll need to wait probably 1-2 weeks to get a better picture of your specific use case. Reality is that 12c through 18c parts are coming over the next few months from Intel.  And Threadripper from AMD in about 6ish weeks.  There's going to be a Cost/Performance curve for your work, so you'll want to wait a little bit for the new launches to roll out.

Yeah, thanks to all of you I have decided to do that. So thanks everyone! : )

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Since you have a 920 you got me thinking about a very temporary 970/980, checked ebay and lol nope way too much.

haha i thought the same and the same happened xD:( 

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

I doubt these will be sold out :P 

In australia everything new PC related is sold out. always. check  pccasegear.com and mwave.com.au/  

2 minutes ago, oporto92 said:

In australia everything new PC related is sold out. always. check  pccasegear.com and mwave.com.au/  

Was chatting with a friend from Australia. You guys have some funky pricing issues for PC parts.  Especially GPUs. (It seems like CPUs are sold by the manufactures in-country, but GPUs are actually imported from Singapore or something, thus as big chunk of import tax issues.  I think.)

As for purchasing decisions, unless you know the use case for something from X299, the best advice is simply wait about 2 months. We don't know enough about either the 12c-18c parts or Threadripper yet to talk with any great authority either way.  (We can expect many things, but there's some big technical stuff we haven't seen yet.)

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Was chatting with a friend from Australia. You guys have some funky pricing issues for PC parts.  Especially GPUs. (It seems like CPUs are sold by the manufactures in-country, but GPUs are actually imported from Singapore or something, thus as big chunk of import tax issues.  I think.)

Most supply of products in NZ/AUS goes through places like Ingram Micro, it was one of the nice benefits of my last job because I could buy parts at wholesale cost for myself. My last purchase before I left was that previously mentioned IBM server of mine, which changed company policy to cap purchases to $500 and anything above that gets a 5% margin added to it :P.

2 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Lets be honest here the majority of you are going to game and stream/content create, so when I show you how underwhelming the 7820X is for gaming (5-15% gain at 1080p which is a resolution enthusiasts don't play at) it is to prevent you wasting your money. Linus already has a video showing how great the R7 is at the above use case.

The R7 is a better choice than the 7700K for streaming on current platforms, but content creation depends on the software used. The second you touch anything that uses AVX1, a 4GHz R7 is giving you analogous performance as the stock 7700K. AVX2, it's better, but not by enough of a margin. The Hexacores of X99 and X299 will mob the floor with the R7 in an AVX workload, and 3 out of 5 of them aren't that much more expensive than the quadcores that are available now. Platform cost is also a non argument, X99's low end starts out where the equivalent priced Z97/170/270 offers in quality. If you're building cheaper, it's because you're going with lower quality components.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Platform cost is also a non argument, X99's low end starts out where the equivalent priced Z97/170/270 offers in quality. If you're building cheaper, it's because you're going with lower quality components.

While I agree in a lot of places I have to disagree here, a B350 board will do just fine and cost $150-200 less. The difference in component quality vs performance is not much. Better quality VRMs for example are essential for the ultra power hungry Intels but Ryzen is more efficient and you will hit your overclock limit because of the cpu not the motherboard. Therefore a lower quality VRM for example won't matter on Ryzen. Your point however is valid for X99/Z97 because Intel chips are thirsty and you need top notch components to satisfy that thirst and to achieve max OC.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Better quality VRMs for example are essential for the ultra power hungry Intels but Ryzen is more efficient

Only at idle and under AVX loads. Otherwise, Ryzen 7 is no better than Broadwell-E.

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

you will hit your overclock limit because of the cpu not the motherboard.

Only with low end CPUs, like the i3, and CPUs rocking FIVR. Otherwise, you're going to stress the VRMs to the point of failure rather quickly. I've had a Phenom II system and my A10 system have OC's handicapped from the VRMs of MSI's cheap FM2+ and AM3+ boards. That exact thing can easily happen if you tried taking a budget Z270, B350, or X370 to the top dogs of the respective platforms.

4 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

a B350 board will do just fine and cost $150-200 less.

A cheaper B350 board also cuts back on features. And personally, I wouldn't trust half of the B350 boards to last long at a "high" OC to last long under the load content creators can make.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Only at idle and under AVX loads. Otherwise, Ryzen 7 is no better than Broadwell-E.

Only with low end CPUs, like the i3, and CPUs rocking FIVR. Otherwise, you're going to stress the VRMs to the point of failure rather quickly. I've had a Phenom II system and my A10 system have OC's handicapped from the VRMs of MSI's cheap FM2+ and AM3+ boards. That exact thing can easily happen if you tried taking a budget Z270, B350, or X370 to the top dogs of the respective platforms.

A cheaper B350 board also cuts back on features. And personally, I wouldn't trust half of the B350 boards to last long at a "high" OC to last long under the load content creators can make.

Well the fact remains you can achieve your oc on these boards. How long for? Can't say but the chance is very high that the board will be working at the time of your next upgrade cycle.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Well the fact remains you can achieve your oc on these boards. How long for? Can't say but the chance is very high that the board will be working at the time of your next upgrade cycle.

I wouldn't put a dime on that. Big reason I don't have a Ryzen system yet.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.