Bethsesda's paid mods.....some more info

jaggysnake57

for those that dont know, Bethesda anounced the creation club at e3

its essentialy mods created by bethesda and some members of the modding comunity that will be sold for credits.  all these mods will go through QA to ensure that they meet Bethesda's high standards (insert irony joke here). natuarly people are skeptic and jim sterling is working on a video adressing this.

today  bethseda tried to clear up exactly what is going on

Creation Club, announced for PC, PS4 and Xbox One during Bethesda’s E3 2017 presser and immediately summed up as another crack at the whole paid mods scheme that went down like a lead balloon back in 2015. Here’s a key difference, though: speaking to Gamespot, Bethesda’s Pete Hines said existing mods won’t appear on Creation Club as paid products, and the existing mod environment will continue alongside as a distinct entity.

he goes on to say that they want to keep mods going and bring in really good modders as devs working with bethesda and that exsiting mods will not be allowed on creation club

“We want to continue to make and do stuff for Skyrim and Fallout 4, and we want to create an ecosystem that works across both games, but we want to leave mods the way that they are,” he said.

“We don’t want to change how that works. And we want to actually be able to do this ourselves but to also bring in external developers or even bring in people who are known for making mods, but not bring them in as modders – bring them in as, now you’re a game developer with us, not on a mod; whatever we greenlight that you make has to meet certain criteria.

“It can’t be something you’ve already created that now you say, ‘I want to offer this through Creation Club.’ That’s not what Creation Club is about.”

opinion - if the quality of the mods are good enough then its could be classed as DLC and its nice to see modders get paid. it could mean modders get hold opf better tools to improve there mods even further. however, there is till a part of me that thinks this is just a cash grab, and that is re-enforced by this years e3 showing from bethesda. i mean FFS how many times can you sell skyrim, and having to pay full price for fallout 4 VR is a joke when you have already paid for the original game and DLC.

source https://www.vg247.com/2017/06/16/skyrim-fallout-4-creation-club-will-only-feature-new-dlc-not-mods-you-can-get-for-free-now/

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Yeah, IDK why people are freaking out.

They'll hire modders, and sell what those modders make on creation club.

they might also buy mods that are in development, which is kinda crap, since those would've been free otherwise, but at least it's not as bad as what people are saying.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

10 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

they might also buy mods that are in development, which is kinda crap, since those would've been free otherwise, but at least it's not as bad as what people are saying.

The paid mods already blew up in there face before and the next step for them if they did continue with the creation club is too force people to use it by taking down the currently free websites such as nexus, which is something they could actually do if they feel like it, so no I don't think people are overreacting.

Don't see how it's acceptable for them to still be milking skyrim after all this time!

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

2 minutes ago, alexyy said:

The paid mods already blew up in there face before and the next step for them if they did continue with the creation club is too force people to use it by taking down the currently free websites such as nexus, which is something they could actually do if they feel like it, so no I don't think people are overreacting.

Don't see how it's acceptable for them to still be milking skyrim after all this time!

watch them bring skyrim ultra special+ edition to the PS5 and Xbox One XXX

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

16 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

people are freaking out for 2 reasons

1 its a change to the status quo and that always freaks people out

2 it set a president that will see other devs try the same thing *cough* take two

this also means the quality of mods will go down as decent modders will want to be paid.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Are they dumb enough to pull this again?

If modders want to put price to their mod there's nothing holding them back for doing so.

Like seriously

I would probably be okay with this for fleshed-out projects like Nehrim. Paradox has done that sort of thing before, basically licensing their game engine to modders slash amateur devs to release full games.

Darkest Hour is my favorite example, as it's essentially the best game in the Hearts of Iron 2 family.

34 minutes ago, alexyy said:

Because they can.

As for the Mods, they're basically offering a support & validation system.  That has value to people, if they don't treat it like they treat their game engines.

im reallly indifferent about this. on one hand i like modders getting some money, on the other hand devs should already implement a good modding framework without the need to charge money for mods using it. im also kinda worried about what this will do with the modding scene in general, most there are really motivated fans who like what they do for others regardless of the money, how will that change once money gets involved?

I could see this as their way to move "DLC" development to modders. Almost like they are trying to capitalize on modders content, so they don't have put in the development themselves. They know people are better receptive of "mods" than DLC, even if it really ends up being the same.

1 hour ago, Dylanc1500 said:

I could see this as their way to move "DLC" development to modders. Almost like they are trying to capitalize on modders content, so they don't have put in the development themselves. They know people are better receptive of "mods" than DLC, even if it really ends up being the same.

i have the  feeling thats a new form of dlc and microtransaction.

and also hope a little for a story dlc for fallout from this programm

So instead of just blanket charging for all mods instead they intend to cherry pick the best creators in the modding scene and employ them basically locking their work behind a paywall?

I'm no expert but I'm not sure the latter is any better than the former in this instance.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

is bethesda owned by take two? if so they can go suck it because its just another money scheme. i was going to buy kerbal space program but im not so sure i will after take two bought them.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170468-Take-Two-CEO-Company-is-Under-Monetizing-its-Users

Zelnick said that Take-Two wasn't maximizing its microtranaction business. "We are convinced that we are probably from an industry view undermonetizing on a per-user basis. There is wood to chop because I think we can do more, and we can do more without interfering with our strategy of being the most creative and our ethical approach, which is delighting consumers."

But Zelnick also acknowledged that you can go too far in charging players for every last bit of content. "You can't give stuff away for free in perpetuity; there's no business model in that," Zelnick said. "But we're not trying to optimize the monetization of everything we do to the nth degree. My concern is, if you do that, the consumer knows. They might not even know that they know, but they feel it."

fuck him and fuck his opinion. consumers knew it was milking money as soon as DLC became just normal updates but for money.

I have no problem with paid mods.this creates even more well done mods.

2 hours ago, blu4 said:

Valve tried doing this and they got so much grief about this.. I think Valve should be the prime (and only) example of why paid mods sohuld never happen.

I think Bethesda was part of that first effort too, but they just lucked out that all the outrage got directed at Valve and not them.

5 hours ago, Blebekblebek said:

Are they dumb enough to pull this again?

If modders want to put price to their mod there's nothing holding them back for doing so.

Actually, there is: that would immediately constitute IP infringement, since they would be making commercial use of a trade mark. In fact, game companies have taken free mods down in the past on this basis.

Basically, not-for-profit mods exist because the companies making the games make a (self-interested) decision to allow it. The moment there's money to be made, it will have to go through them or otherwise split the cake.

Bethesda’s Pete Hines said existing mods won’t appear on Creation Club as paid products, and the existing mod environment will continue alongside as a distinct entity.

Oh, so all the best ones, never fucking coming? You're gonna be charging from content that will be objectively fucking worst if you cannot make use of things like ENBs, SKSE and some fairly essential and universally embraced mods that depend on those like SkyUI?

Good fucking luck with that.

No that's basically a fucking lie: I am almost 100% sure they will allow existing mods into the paid platform so long as the mod maker just claims "Oh this is version 1.1 and totally new: I added a new pair of daedric sandals on this version!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

*sigh*

Who knew I would find a legitimate reason to use the Horse Armor joke twice in the same week?  Unfortunately, while this is a joke, it isn't funny.

5 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

people are freaking out for 2 reasons

1 its a change to the status quo and that always freaks people out

2 it set a president that will see other devs try the same thing *cough* take two

this also means the quality of mods will go down as decent modders will want to be paid.

*precedent :P

6 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

We don’t want to change how that works. And we want to actually be able to do this ourselves but to also bring in external developers or even bring in people who are known for making mods, but not bring them in as modders – bring them in as, now you’re a game developer with us, not on a mod; whatever we greenlight that you make has to meet certain criteria.

this is shady. 

5 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Because they can.

As for the Mods, they're basically offering a support & validation system.  That has value to people, if they don't treat it like they treat their game engines.

Yeah sure their validation system:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=skyrim+se+glitches

(Spoiler: About 1,530,000 results found)

-------

Current Rig

-------

I normally don't use mods for my games but I would gladly start using them but only if they go through QA like Bethesda claims. Free mods never sat right with me, paid mods I'm 100% for though. Just my 2 cents.

-KuJoe

6 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

We don’t want to change how that works. And we want to actually be able to do this ourselves but to also bring in external developers or even bring in people who are known for making mods, but not bring them in as modders – bring them in as, now you’re a game developer with us, not on a mod; whatever we greenlight that you make has to meet certain 

10 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

this is shady. 

Magna Mundi, anyone? :P