Let's Clear up this "Gaming" Headset conundrum.

Lethalmonk

** Do not use in nightmode***

There are no such things as gaming headsets. There are good headphones for gaming.OK so let me brake it down...

A headphone is  simply 2 mini speakers that are connected. the usual size of the speaker magent are 40-55mm

When companies market 7.1 or 5.1 speakers, it means that you have 7 or 5 speakers around a room with a subwoofer. This allows one to feel like he is actually in the "zone" or thing that he is watching. This is called surround sound.

Now "gaming" headset  trick you in thinking that headphones have this physical capability, but if your read closely they say virtual surround sound. (yes there are a few headphones with multiple TINY drivers but the sound quality is dreadful ( ive heard one before). For almost all "gaming"headsets, it is simply a software. NO you do not need this software. Ex (click this)Watch this :Virtual Barber shop its actually REALLY cool.

now what makes a headset? Simple, it is simply a pair of headphones with a microphone attached. 

Companies will increase the price of their product by claiming 7.1 SS capabilities, adding a mic AND aesthetics. Please, i BEG of you, you are wearing these headphones on your head, you do not need RGB. What does all this mean? lower price to preformance.

What now???

Its simple actually, get a a headphone and a mic separately. 

Now there are many different types of headphones with different pros and cons. Some headphones have a wide sound stage, some have good bass, others have their own perks.

Two things will probably come up, 

Open back or closed back?

Open back headphones Ex. shp9500(s), have a wide sound stage but lack in bass. BUT others around you can hear what your listening to because the earcups are exposed, thus not a good headphone for areas with alot of noise. These headphones do not isolate noise at all.

Closed back  are basically the opposite. They passively cancel out noise. they also usually have a smaller soundstage but have good bass. 

I would choose open back if your environment allows because it is better for fps (yes you loose (a bit) of bass but you can live)

Whats a dac/AMP 

a dac is a Digital to analog converter and an amp is a amplifier. Most motherboards have decent dac/amps but they are only mediocre. not everyone needs a dac/amp, but EVERYONE can benefit from a good set. if your motherboard audio fails you, you can get a dac/amp that fits your budget, or get the E1 soundblaster, soundcard or a USB audio stick. If we want more info, a quick Google search or YouTube video should do. 

What about a mic?

Well, there are two main, attachable mics, 

The modmic is good for headphones that lack a removable cable. it is a mic that attaches to a pair of headphones by a magnet. you can take it on or off as you please.

The VMODA mic is a mic that fits into the audio jack of a headphone that allows you to take out  the cable. Thus allowing you to have one cable for both the headphone and the mic, while the modmic requires you to have two cables leading to your source

EX

Image result for shp9500

^ is the shp9500, it has a removable cable

This below is the SHP9500(s) with a modmic,

Image result for shp9500 v moda

Image result for antlion modmic

this is the modmic. As seen it attaches to a headphone.

They are both the same quality. if you can, get the vmoda boompro instead of the MODMIC because you dont need 2 cables UNLESS YOU ARE USING AN EXTERNAL DAC/AMP SOURCE FOR YOUR HEADPHONEAS AND IT DOES NOT SUPPORT MIC IN. using different dac/amp for your headphones with the vmoda will causing a slight hum due to electrical grounding issues. using the mic/headphone splitters that come with the Vmoda mic is fine if u connect it to the same source (motherboard audio, soundcard etc.)  .THIS IS NOT MANUFATURING FLAW OR DEFECT. it is just a con of using a mic built in to an audio output. if you dont use an external dac/amp without a mic input your fine. the creative E1 is the only mic/headphone dac/amp that youll find for $40.

Microphones that dont connect to your headphones :

this clip on mic is also above par but doesnt attach to your headset,

if you can, the blue yeti or snowball usb mic are superior but if desk space or clicky keyboards is an issue, these ^^ mics are perfectly fine

Here is a list on the recommended headphones you can get. (closed and open) 

here is his channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/ZeosReviews

I am in now way affiliated with Zeos* lol.

Btw you might see people recommend the hyper X's 

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i wonder why. tell me if you see a similarity here.

Hyper X  *** this is the gunmetal grey** it also comes in red.

Image result for hyper x headphones

Takstar pro 80

Image result for tackstar 80

WOW, its only as if kingston (hyperX) took a decent pair of comfy and good sounding headphones and slapped a mic onto it and re branded it as their own while everyone else made crappy headphones!

Heed my words, dont get a gaming headset, get a separate headphone and mic. You can also wear the headphones around without the mic and not look like a...............

if you are restricted, get the kingston's hyperX headset from above. You can also just use your headphones/apple earpods and get a surprisingly well sony clip on mic or a cheap decent zalmon mic.

I own the SHP9500s and a vmoda boompro. No complaints, really comfy and convenient . $80 USD total.

feel free to AMA.

*** i made this long article for a response to a recent post and decided to share it. Also  i didnt get the chance to double check my spelling and stuff so ill do that tomorrow, its getting late here******

Not to piss you off but I cant read it due to the formatting issuses

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

Not to piss you off but I cant read it due to the formatting issuses

what cant your read? click on the image or reddit posts.

3 minutes ago, Lethalmonk said:

All of the text

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

3 minutes ago, Lethalmonk said:

I think he means with night theme, its just black on black for us. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

All of the text

screenshot please?

Thanks, i was debating what to buy to improve my setup, not a headset isn't an option. Well an expensive one. I'll just buy watercooling gear and a blue yeti

CPU - i7-4790k

GPU - MSI 980 Ti 

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Memory - 32 GB DDR3

Storage - 3.4 TB

Full List : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sPgN8d

1 hour ago, Lethalmonk said:

[snip]

black on black isn't good.

some people have night theme, which makes the background black.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers
there was no need to quote that entire huge OP

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, xDylanio said:

Thanks, i was debating what to buy to improve my setup, not a headset isn't an option. Well an expensive one. I'll just buy watercooling gear and a blue yeti

Yep no problem. if you have any questions feel free to ask.

I wasn't aware that this subject was a conundrum, let alone one that needed clearing up, but there you go. Kind of sickening to see that much Zeos regurgitated in one place, though.

@Lethalmonk Your post is not able to be seen in night theme ... just to clarify the comments prior to mine. The formatting from the copy and pasting of the material in your post is the same color as the background.

I suggest you highlight your post and remove formatting by clicking the Tx button.

Spoiler

Capture.JPG.55d49579074777b3a6ff3cea49786169.JPG

The remove formatting button is located here;

Spoiler

Capture.JPG.cd3eb3281e7cddc1bca2dadad173d196.JPG

Also the use of spoilers can be useful to help condense very long pastes, your post format is very thin and long - takes up a lot of screen space making it hard to follow.

I hope this helps and clear it up a bit.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

@Lethalmonk Your post is not able to be seen in night theme ... just to clarify the comments prior to mine. The formatting from the copy and pasting of the material in your post is the same color as the background.

I suggest you highlight your post and remove formatting by clicking the Tx button.

The remove formatting button is located here;

I hope this helps and clear it up a bit.

did and done.. i think

Suggest the author of this post do a little further research concerning what a DAC actually is and does.  They don't call them "Digital to Analog Converters" for nothing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+a+DAC&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS743US743&oq=what+is+a+DAC&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6361j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

48 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Suggest the author of this post do a little further research concerning what a DAC actually is and does.  They don't call them "Digital to Analog Converters" for nothing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+a+DAC&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS743US743&oq=what+is+a+DAC&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6361j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Sorry, you are very much write. At the time of writing this I was a bit tired and wrote audio instead of analog. Also, I did not write much about the DAC and amps because that is a different topic of what I'm getting at and the readers can google it if they want to., thanks for catch.