Is GPU upscaling possible?

What GPU do you have? I'm sure you can do with with driver software, I can do with my AMD Radeon settings. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I assume you are having issues with your monitor's interpolation of lower resolution output? I am not sure exactly why, but turning ON v-sync makes 1080p look a lot better on my 4k monitor. I have a GTX 1060. Hope that helps!

3 hours ago, Turtlesaurusrex25 said:

Is there a 3rd party application that would allow me to upscale everything to 4K?

That will already happen naturally when you lower the resolution in game. If you're playing fullscreen, anything lower than the monitor's native resolution will be upscaled to the monitor's resolution in order to fill the screen. On a 4K monitor everything will be upscaled to 4K.

On 6/15/2017 at 10:39 PM, Glenwing said:

That will already happen naturally when you lower the resolution in game. If you're playing fullscreen, anything lower than the monitor's native resolution will be upscaled to the monitor's resolution in order to fill the screen. On a 4K monitor everything will be upscaled to 4K.

I don't mean having the image stretched. What I'm talking about is the thing that consoles do where they render at a lower resolution like 900p and upscale to 1080p.

Yes. You can use DSR if you're using a NVIDIA card, and VSR if you're using an AMD card. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

1 hour ago, Turtlesaurusrex25 said:

I don't mean having the image stretched. What I'm talking about is the thing that consoles do where they render at a lower resolution like 900p and upscale to 1080p.

Yes, that's done by just changing the resolution ingame. If the game resolution is the same aspect ratio as the monitor (like 1920×1080 on a 3840×2160 display), there won't be any stretching. If it is a different aspect ratio, you can set the GPU scaling settings to scale up the image as large as possible without stretching and have black bars fill in the remaining area.

25 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Yes, that's done by just changing the resolution ingame. If the game resolution is the same aspect ratio as the monitor (like 1920×1080 on a 3840×2160 display), there won't be any stretching. If it is a different aspect ratio, you can set the GPU scaling settings to scale up the image as large as possible without stretching and have black bars fill in the remaining area.

There is also a third option.  Some games support specifying an aspect ratio, so you can render at 1024 x 768 on a 1080p monitor, select 16:9, and the image will be stretched to fill the screen, but without distortion, since "counter-distortion" is applied when rendering.  I believe the Windows boot screen even does this now.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 6/15/2017 at 4:33 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

If you have an NVIDIA card, you might be able with the driver's Dynamic Super Resolution setting.

Otherwise no. Not that I'm aware of anyways

ever heard of vsr?

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200