Need help for how much watts my pc needs

Just now, erzz said:

I think it is when you have a high end gpu and a mid range cpu. I get that the rating does not really mean quality, and I have never tested the EVGA G1 myself. I still think that you should get more than you need, its always better to be safe. I myself am running on a 80+ Bronze PSU, 750W. PSUs will degrade, i've seen this happen so many times.

A CX550 is in what way "cheapening out?" Explain that to me please. It performs very well electrically and is only hindered by the sleeve-bearing fan installed in it. And yes, although PSUs degrade, they only massively degrade when they can't tolerate the heat being forced through the unit, IE. a friend of mine who broke their AX750 which powered dual R9 290s for years due to the fact they had the PSU fan facing down with tall carpet. Old crappy PSUs with little rear exhaust fans might suffer from this too. The CX550M will not.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, erzz said:

I can recommend the Seasonic G-series too, it's actally a good PSU.

So i found the seasonic g series 550w 80 gold a bit cheaper than the corsair 550w 80gold the modal tx55m so which one should i get?

3 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

A CX550 is in what way "cheapening out?" Explain that to me please. It performs very well electrically and is only hindered by the sleeve-bearing fan installed in it. And yes, although PSUs degrade, they only massively degrade when they can't tolerate the heat being forced through the unit, IE. a friend of mine who broke their AX750 which powered dual R9 290s for years due to the fact they had the PSU fan facing down with tall carpet. Old crappy PSUs with little rear exhaust fans might suffer from this too. The CX550M will not.

The CX550 is not a bad psu, but I would rather have it running a 1060 and a i5-7500 or less than an overclockable cpu and gpu. If OP decides to OC 3 years later (CPU, GPU), the PSU would have degraded and it might cause problems.

Just now, erzz said:

The CX550 is not a bad psu, but I would rather have it running a 1060 and a i5-7500 or less than an overclockable cpu and gpu. If OP gets into overclocking it might limit him. If OP decides to OC 3 years later (CPU, GPU), the PSU would have degraded and it might cause problems.

What is op?

Just now, Juan11904 said:

What is op?

Orginal Poster

Just now, erzz said:

Orginal Poster

ohh so i found the seasonic 550w 80gold for a good price so i think i would get that

Ok so i made my choice thanks to everybody that helped me find the right psu.

6 hours ago, erzz said:

The CX550 is not a bad psu, but I would rather have it running a 1060 and a i5-7500 or less than an overclockable cpu and gpu. If OP decides to OC 3 years later (CPU, GPU), the PSU would have degraded and it might cause problems.

It would not have degraded to the point where it couldn't power a 1070. Do you have literally any proof that quality PSUs degrade that quickly? Any at all? As I've said before, the degradation of a quality unit over time is so minimal the average user would have replaced their unit with a more modern one long ago by the time any degradation would have happened. Maybe @quan289has more insight about the degradation of PSUs but I doubt the CX550 would degrade so poorly over the course of 3 years that it would lose the ability to output 100W of it's as-new capability.

6 hours ago, Juan11904 said:

Ok so i made my choice thanks to everybody that helped me find the right psu.

The G-series is a good choice. Hopefully you found the deal on SuperBiiz for a $20 MIR, totalling 49.99 for that unit? I'm helping a friend of mine build a PC and he got his with said deal.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

It would not have degraded to the point where it couldn't power a 1070. Do you have literally any proof that quality PSUs degrade that quickly? Any at all? As I've said before, the degradation of a quality unit over time is so minimal the average user would have replaced their unit with a more modern one long ago by the time any degradation would have happened. Maybe @quan289has more insight about the degradation of PSUs but I doubt the CX550 would degrade so poorly over the course of 3 years that it would lose the ability to output 100W of it's as-new capability.

The G-series is a good choice. Hopefully you found the deal on SuperBiiz for a $20 MIR, totalling 49.99 for that unit? I'm helping a friend of mine build a PC and he got his with said deal.

I cant buy the parts on newegg becouse i dont live in us, I will buy the computer parts in my country

5 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Well, a quality unit should be capable of maintaining its rated output capability for many years even beyond it rated warranty, as they usually have an engineering overhead. Some more-so than others, so you can't just simply make a blanket statement that it will no longer capable of outputting its rated output. Not to mentioned, most people don't operate their PSU close to it rated output, nor do they operate it at the most demanding load 100% of the time. Because of this, there shouldn't be any need for concern on a good quality unit like the CX550M even if it is a budget unit.

Anyways, a lot of concerns of degradation within three years are due to capacitors are rooted from a stigma had grown against certain branding of Chinese / Taiwanese capacitors. But at the same time, you'd also hear people who fixed / serviced these PSUs found that certain OEMs like Delta, Chicony, etc. are capable of designing their PSU to make those caps last much longer. A good quote from Phaedrus of Jonnyguru.com that explain what contribute to it lifespan is:

"Temperature, average voltage, surge voltage, voltage ripple, ripple current, usage pattern. There's a lot of factors that go into aluminum capacitor lifetime. All relative to the ratings and build quality of the cap itself. A good engineer minimizes all factors that effect lifetime, to the greatest extent practical. Focusing on one to the exclusion of others is bad practice.",

...and a lot this is due to the overall design of the power supply which many of the quality PSU nowadays are much better than how it was, in which concerns of the past may no longer be valid especially reports of cap manufacturers having improved their quality control over the past few years.

A system with moderately CPU overclock + a 1070 will draw less than 300wDC during gaming load. I doubt a CX550M with only occasional <~50% load usage will start to show signs of aging to the point that it will no longer able to output 550w within 3 years like you have said.

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I changed my psu i going with the TXM 550W GOLD becouse i want black cables plus this psu is modular and the price is really good its close to the seasonic i wanted to buy.

1 hour ago, Juan11904 said:

I changed my psu i going with the TXM 550W GOLD becouse i want black cables plus this psu is modular and the price is really good its close to the seasonic i wanted to buy.

That's fine, both are good choices.