Need help for how much watts my pc needs

So i have a build a pc but im still not sure how much power should my psu, I picked the corsair 550w as you can see in my build by looking online.

I plan to overclock my gpu and cpu so i dont know if that will be enough to power the system, That's why i wrote this post to try and get some help and advice.

Here is my build:https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Juan11904/saved/FVjTWZ

550W should be enough, but I would recommend a 600+W PSU just to be safe because power supplies degrade over time, even if the quality is good. Never cheap out on the PSU, it could kill your whole system.

1 minute ago, erzz said:

550W should be enough, but I would recommend a 600+W PSU just to be safe because power supplies degrade over time, even if the quality is good. Never cheap out on the PSU, it could kill your whole system.

Yup. Cheaping out on the PSU is like cheaping out on the house foundation so you can afford better siding. Not good. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, Juan11904 said:

So i have a build a pc but im still not sure how much power should my psu, I picked the corsair 550w as you can see in my build by looking online.

I plan to overclock my gpu and cpu so i dont know if that will be enough to power the system, That's why i wrote this post to try and get some help and advice.

Here is my build:https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Juan11904/saved/FVjTWZ

The unit you chose is fine. Though, don't get the V300 SSD.

1 minute ago, erzz said:

Its really weird that in pcpartpicker they say that the wats should be 366 watts, Is overclocking take that much more power?

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Yup. Cheaping out on the PSU is like cheaping out on the house foundation so you can afford better siding. Not good. 

And then wondering later while it's falling down but looks good from the road. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

The unit you chose is fine. Though, don't get the V300 SSD.

What's wrong with the v300 ssd?

Just now, Juan11904 said:

Its really weird that in pcpartpicker they say that the wats should be 366 watts, Is overclocking take that much more power?

That's the bare minimum. You should never be that close to the requirements. Always go for more. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

That's the bare minimum. You should never be that close to the requirements. Always go for more. 

But do you think a 550w psu will do the work?, Or should i get a 600w psu?.

If you get a 400W PSU and you dont overclock, your pc wont instantly die, it will take a bit more time to die. I believe that you should never get any psu under 550W for a high-end gpu, and the psu you chose is 80+ Bronze, of course its going to degrade a lot

6 minutes ago, Juan11904 said:

What's wrong with the v300 ssd?

Just far slower than it should be, and you can get better for the price. 

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

Just far slower than it should be, and you can get better for the price. 

For example what?

1 minute ago, Juan11904 said:

550W PSU can just do it, but not 80+ Bronze, get a better certificatioon 80+ Gold or more. You're powering a mid range and a high end GPU with that PSU, so you should give it a bit more importance and more money from your wallet. Cut costs on others things, I'm talking from personal experience of computers breaking just because of the PSU. Some companies dont warrant that, look for something from EVGA.

Consider this one: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1, 80+ GOLD

5 minutes ago, Juan11904 said:

550W is about double what that system will use without OC and about 200W more than what it would with OC. You're fine, don't worry about it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

For example what?

850 Evo, Intel M.2, ect.

This build is better. Costs extra due to the SSD

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($195.69 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($115.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($75.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Kingston - HyperX Fury 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.44 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($429.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($56.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series AF120 Red 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan  ($12.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series AF120 Red 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan  ($12.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1223.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-15 18:01 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

550W is about double what that system will use without OC and about 200W more than what it would with OC. You're fine, don't worry about it.

You're right, but its 80+ Bronze, they degrade over time.

5 minutes ago, erzz said:

550W PSU can just do it, but not 80+ Bronze, get a better certificatioon 80+ Gold or more. You're powering a mid range and a high end GPU with that PSU, so you should give it a bit more importance and more money from your wallet. Cut costs on others things, I'm talking from personal experience of computers breaking just because of the PSU. Some companies dont warrant that, look for something from EVGA.

Consider this one: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1, 80+ GOLD

No, no no no no

Efficiency does not correlate directly to quality. An 80 PLUS Bronze unit can be of greater electrical performance and quality than an 80 PLUS Gold unit. Second, that PSU is totally fine for his system. Third, the EVGA G1 is terrible, worse in fact than the CXM that OP chose. The G1 is the worst among the Supernova lineup with an old group-regulated design and mediocre electrical performance, way outclassed by similarly priced EVGA units.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, erzz said:

You're right, but its 80+ Bronze, they degrade over time.

No, that is not how that works. Check the guide pinned on this subforum (in my signature as well) about 80 PLUS efficiency. The rated efficiency does not correlate to a better unit and does not correlate to degradation in any way.

PSUs don't degrade quickly either, especially a quality unit like the CX550M. That unit might lose 5-10W of it's potential output in 10 years from now.

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

No, no no no no

Effiency does not correlate directly to quality. An 80 PLUS Bronze unit can be of greater electrical performance and quality than an 80 PLUS Gold unit. Second, that PSU is totally fine for his system. Third, the EVGA G1 is terrible, worse in fact than the CXM that OP chose. The G1 is the worst among the Supernova lineup with an old group-regulated design and mediocre electrical performance, way outclassed by similarly priced EVGA units.

I dont love the PSU either but op wants to cheap out on PSU

Just now, erzz said:

I dont love the PSU either but op wants to cheap out on PSU

A CX550M is not "cheaping out on a PSU" and he already bought it.

I didnt buy it yet but I'm going to buy the pc today, So should i upgrade to a 80 gold or stay with the one i choose?

I think it is when you have a high end gpu and a mid range cpu. I get that the rating does not really mean quality, and I have never tested the EVGA G1 myself. I still think that you should get more than you need, its always better to be safe. I myself am running on a 80+ Bronze PSU, 750W. PSUs will degrade, i've seen this happen so many times.

I didnt buy it yet but I'm going to buy the pc today, So should i upgrade to a 80 gold or stay with the one i choose?

The one you chose is fine but if you have more money lying around then an EVGA B2/GS/GQ/G2/G3 would be fine with 550W being plenty and 650W+ being the minimum offering of a couple of those. 

The Seasonic G-series 550W can often be found relatively cheap too.

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The one you chose is fine but if you have more money lying around then an EVGA B2/GS/GQ/G2/G3 would be fine with 550W being plenty and 650W+ being the minimum offering of a couple of those. 

The Seasonic G-series 550W can often be found relatively cheap too.

I can recommend the Seasonic G-series too, it's actally a good PSU.