Is it worth getting the rx 580?

erzz

I know the 1060 performs a bit better but you can CF with the rx 580 later on for an upgrade. Its very hard to find the asus rx 580 in Germany.

You're going to have a very hard time finding a 580/480 right now. By the time you think you want to crossfire there would already be a better single card alternative. I will say no, it's not worth it.

1 minute ago, erzz said:

I know the 1060 performs a bit better but you can CF with the rx 580 later on for an upgrade. Its very hard to find the asus rx 580 in Germany.

it has advantages and disadvantages, amd has freesync which might be "free" in your next monitor upgrade, chill is cool as well although it needs more games supporting it,

it uses a bit more power, you can mine better with it, its out os stock in many places. (btw if you see an 580 in stock tell me :-) )

4 minutes ago, erzz said:

Good luck finding one right now. Crypto currency is at an all time high, and all of the miners out there are buying them up. Not only are they more expensive, they are a rarer commodity. Just get a 1060. 

10 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

it has advantages and disadvantages, amd has freesync which might be "free" in your next monitor upgrade, chill is cool as well although it needs more games supporting it,

it uses a bit more power, you can mine better with it, its out os stock in many places. (btw if you see an 580 in stock tell me :-) )

notebooksbilliger has one, but I bet you when you order it it will say that its out of stock.

Just now, erzz said:

notebooksbilliger has one, but I bet you when you order it it will say that its out of stock.

ya, the struggle of buy gpus for mining is real :-(

2 cards just isn't enough for my plans of world domination 

Just now, cj09beira said:

ya, the struggle of buy gpus for mining is real :-(

2 cards just isn't enough for my plans of world domination 

I've done mining before, because now a lot of people are mining it will get way harder to get BTC and the value increases by a lot. I can't imagine how vega would impact the mining community.

1 minute ago, erzz said:

I've done mining before, because now a lot of people are mining it will get way harder to get BTC and the value increases by a lot. I can't imagine how vega would impact the mining community.

not much, to slow and expensive (for etherium at least)

now if: any coins can be run under fp16 say bye bye to all the stock

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

not much, to slow and expensive (for etherium at least)

now if: any coins can be run under fp16 say bye bye to all the stock

I still don't get why they can't supply enough cards.. See now customers are leaning towards their competitor because they can't supply the demand.

Ryzen was hard to find here in the Germany on release, and it didn't have the best release so I just decided to get an intel cpu

Just now, erzz said:

I still don't get why they can't supply enough cards.. See now customers are leaning towards their competitor because they can't supply the demand.

because making gpus is a complex process where you cant just increase the production in a flash, plus its hard to say how much should they increase the production

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

because making gpus is a complex process where you cant just increase the production in a flash, plus its hard to say how much should they increase the production

They must be making tons of profit, hire more people and get more machines. They probably made a lot of profit on the 480 release.

But yeah I know there probably there is something stopping them

9 hours ago, erzz said:

first off, 580 is better than a 1060. period. but given how much they are now, id say the 1060 is a better buy. but waiting never hurts, and 580 prices will likely drop within a few months, making the 1060 worthless again. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

On 6/16/2017 at 7:43 AM, Nickathom said:

first off, 580 is better than a 1060. period. but given how much they are now, id say the 1060 is a better buy. but waiting never hurts, and 580 prices will likely drop within a few months, making the 1060 worthless again. 

It is better, but 1060 was 10 months older, and some games support nvidia better than AMD, when I build a new rig, it's probably going to be full-amd unless intel releases better products.

On 15.6.2017 at 10:23 PM, erzz said:

From Germany here too :)

In average, RX 580 performs a few % better, depending on what games, and who tests.

Hardwareunboxed did RX 480 / 580 / GTX 1060 tests in 27 games. It was 2 fps differences: RX 580 > GTX 1060 > RX 480.

Computerbase still has GTX 1060 slightly better.

Those few % differences are neglectable. You will NOT feel them Today, and you will NOT feel them in 2 years. Period.

RX 580 has 2gb more Vram, and supports the cheaper Freesync (which is the MAIN advantage).
GTX 1060 however consumes MUCH less power. It is around 120 Watt for a GTX 1060, and 200~ Watt for a RX 580.

No, RX 580 is NOT better than a GTX 1060 "period". Both have Advantages, and Disadvantages.

I like the power consumption of Nvidia MUCH more. 80 Watt are alot of additional Heat and cost.

But as a objective Gamer, i would take the RX 580 over a GTX 1060.

Only because of 1 Reason: Freesync. You can get 72-75 Hz Monitors 1080p and IPS/VA Panel with Freesync for about 130-170~ already.

or a 1080p 144 Hz VA Panel from Samsung with Quantum Dots for 250 + 19% Cashback.

Freesync does make a huge difference.

The cheapest G-Sync monitor that is relevant starst at 380€~.

However: RX 580 is not available right now, thanks to miners. Not 1 single Model. And if yes, it's for 330-440€. Not worth.

My opinion right now: GTX 1060, because it's the only card you can actually buy~.

Palit Jetstream / Gainward Phoenix are excellent models, very quiet, good cooler, and good VRM/Vram cooling. Should cost about 270€~, which is fine.

If there were a good Custom RX 580 for <280-290, i would say get that. But that's still a bit too much... RX 480 Asus Strix (one of the best models) was on deal for 199€ a few times earlier this year. so 280€+ are quite much for a few % faster RX 580, that also consumes more power...

This is the ONLY RX 580 right now available: https://geizhals.de/?cat=gra16_512&xf=132_8192~9808_11704+-+RX+580+(XTR)~9808_11704+-+RX+580+(XTX)&asuch=&bpmax=&v=l&hloc=de&plz=&dist=&sort=-p

And 364€ is way too much for a midrange GPU, that "should" cost 100 less.

You're MUCH better off getting a 370-400€ GTX 1070. 35-40% faster, and still consumes 50 watt less power.

Edit: comeon..... GTX 1060 also got a pricebump of like 40-50€.... seriously, this situation sucks right now.

These are my recommendation right now (Gainward Phoenix > others): https://geizhals.de/?cmp=1478764&cmp=1478147&cmp=1521981

But i would try to stay below 280-290 right now.

If you go ABOVE 300 bucks, don't take Palit jetstream, or Asus or anything: https://geizhals.de/msi-geforce-gtx-1060-gaming-x-6g-v328-001r-a1478791.html?v=l&hloc=de

One of the best GTX 1060 on the market. Much quieter than ANY RX 480/580 there is, very low temperature,  high power target. I had this bevore i upgraded to GTX 1080. I was perfectly satisfied, i NEVER heared it because it was silent all the time. Just upgraded because i got a 1440p / 165 Hz Monitor, that needed a bit more horse power.

But personal recommendation: https://geizhals.de/?cmp=1479081&cmp=1478750

Because 270€ is quite good for this situation right now. The Cooler is okay, and you can do alot with undervolting in case it's a bit louder.

But would be 19 bucks more for a better Cooler~

47 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

From Germany here too :)

In average, RX 580 performs a few % better, depending on what games, and who tests.

Hardwareunboxed did RX 480 / 580 / GTX 1060 tests in 27 games. It was 2 fps differences: RX 580 > GTX 1060 > RX 480.

Computerbase still has GTX 1060 slightly better.

Those few % differences are neglectable. You will NOT feel them Today, and you will NOT feel them in 2 years. Period.

RX 580 has 2gb more Vram, and supports the cheaper Freesync (which is the MAIN advantage).
GTX 1060 however consumes MUCH less power. It is around 120 Watt for a GTX 1060, and 200~ Watt for a RX 580.

No, RX 580 is NOT better than a GTX 1060 "period". Both have Advantages, and Disadvantages.

I like the power consumption of Nvidia MUCH more. 80 Watt are alot of additional Heat and cost.

But as a objective Gamer, i would take the RX 580 over a GTX 1060.

Only because of 1 Reason: Freesync. You can get 72-75 Hz Monitors 1080p and IPS/VA Panel with Freesync for about 130-170~ already.

or a 1080p 144 Hz VA Panel from Samsung with Quantum Dots for 250 + 19% Cashback.

Freesync does make a huge difference.

The cheapest G-Sync monitor that is relevant starst at 380€~.

However: RX 580 is not available right now, thanks to miners. Not 1 single Model. And if yes, it's for 330-440€. Not worth.

My opinion right now: GTX 1060, because it's the only card you can actually buy~.

Palit Jetstream / Gainward Phoenix are excellent models, very quiet, good cooler, and good VRM/Vram cooling. Should cost about 270€~, which is fine.

If there were a good Custom RX 580 for <280-290, i would say get that. But that's still a bit too much... RX 480 Asus Strix (one of the best models) was on deal for 199€ a few times earlier this year. so 280€+ are quite much for a few % faster RX 580, that also consumes more power...

This is the ONLY RX 580 right now available: https://geizhals.de/?cat=gra16_512&xf=132_8192~9808_11704+-+RX+580+(XTR)~9808_11704+-+RX+580+(XTX)&asuch=&bpmax=&v=l&hloc=de&plz=&dist=&sort=-p

And 364€ is way too much for a midrange GPU, that "should" cost 100 less.

You're MUCH better off getting a 370-400€ GTX 1070. 35-40% faster, and still consumes 50 watt less power.

Edit: comeon..... GTX 1060 also got a pricebump of like 40-50€.... seriously, this situation sucks right now.

These are my recommendation right now (Gainward Phoenix > others): https://geizhals.de/?cmp=1478764&cmp=1478147&cmp=1521981

But i would try to stay below 280-290 right now.

If you go ABOVE 300 bucks, don't take Palit jetstream, or Asus or anything: https://geizhals.de/msi-geforce-gtx-1060-gaming-x-6g-v328-001r-a1478791.html?v=l&hloc=de

One of the best GTX 1060 on the market. Much quieter than ANY RX 480/580 there is, very low temperature,  high power target. I had this bevore i upgraded to GTX 1080. I was perfectly satisfied, i NEVER heared it because it was silent all the time. Just upgraded because i got a 1440p / 165 Hz Monitor, that needed a bit more horse power.

But personal recommendation: https://geizhals.de/?cmp=1479081&cmp=1478750

Because 270€ is quite good for this situation right now. The Cooler is okay, and you can do alot with undervolting in case it's a bit louder.

But would be 19 bucks more for a better Cooler~

I just got the ASUS ROG version because I always loved the design and I don't mind paying 30-40EUR extra for design. Thanks to linus I am trying to fully rgb my pc and stuff so yeah.