Headphones

Hello.

My actual headphones are getting rusty... they flat out stop working sometimes. So I'm here to ask for some recommendations abou the headphones. To make it easier, I'll split it into 3 phases.

1- Can someone somewhat explain to me the difference between the gaming ones and "normal" ones, (Like hyper x cloud vs "some Other brand"), and argument it why X wins?

2 - Actual recommendations, with some arguments. (Why should I buy x, what does it have etc) 

3 - Some budget seperate microphone I can use. (I want it just for communication.)

What I'll use them for : Hours of gaming, daily, work, animation.

Ear size - Ehh, medium i guess.

Budget :

Headphones :  70$ (Can  stretch a bit)

Microphone - 30$

Notes : 

-I'm a fucknut, I never had any knowledge about headphones, It just didn't seem "fun" to learn for me unlike the rest pc periphals and the pc itself. So i highly apologize if i sound ignorant, offensive, stingy, overall rude!

- I honestly want something that will survive longer than a year.

I have the hyperx of cloud core and, I think that they are so popular due to the sound quality. I would recommend the hyper x cloud II. It has amazing sound quality with a detachable mic. they are about $100. if you need a headset just attach the mic. honestly my favorite feature is the solid metal Y piece that connects the ear cups. makes it so easy to remove form head.

edit - THEY ARE SO F***ING COMFORTABLE. when you first put them on it is uncomfortable due to the solid band during first use. it will get more springy 

Image result for hyperx cloud II

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

48 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

I have the hyperx of cloud core and, I think that they are so popular due to the sound quality. I would recommend the hyper x cloud II. It has amazing sound quality with a detachable mic. they are about $100. if you need a headset just attach the mic. honestly my favorite feature is the solid metal Y piece that connects the ear cups. makes it so easy to remove form head.

edit - THEY ARE SO F***ING COMFORTABLE. when you first put them on it is uncomfortable due to the solid band during first use. it will get more springy 

Image result for hyperx cloud II

100$ is out of my range though.

2 minutes ago, RoyalBeer said:

100$ is out of my range though.

the cloud core is $80is. same thing but without controller and mute switch

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

The vast majority of headsets marketed for gaming have mediocre or poor build quality, comfort and sound quality and bad sonic properties for gaming, especially FPS gaming.

I have HyperX Cloud (which is sonically the same as Cloud II and CloudX), and I do not recommend it because it has a small soundstage, bad imaging and it sounds very muddy. Soundstage is how well distance to sounds is portrayed and imaging is the location of sounds across the soundstage. A much better option is Superlux HD668B with velour earpads from HiFiMAN; the headphones have a big soundstage and good imaging, clarity and detail retrieval. Another option that I see people recommend for gaming is Philips SHP9500. As for mics, you have Massdrop Minimic and V-Moda BoomPro. The BoomPro isn't compatible with HD668B.

Hello. As I'm looking for them. I've stumbled upon superlux.

To be exact : Superlux HD681B /HD681

Anybody used those?

Also @L.Lawliet I've got no interests in a mic +30$ honestly. I don't need such a mic.

Please note. I CANNOT TEST-THEM OUT, NO SHOP HAS THEM.

5 minutes ago, Tacanacy said:

The vast majority of headsets marketed for gaming have mediocre or poor build quality, comfort and sound quality and bad sonic properties for gaming, especially FPS gaming.

I have HyperX Cloud (which is sonically the same as Cloud II and CloudX), and I do not recommend it because it has a small soundstage, bad imaging and it sounds very muddy. Soundstage is how well distance to sounds is portrayed and imaging is the location of sounds across the soundstage. A much better option is Superlux HD668B with velour earpads from HiFiMAN; the headphones have a big soundstage and good imaging, clarity and detail retrieval. Another option that I see people recommend for gaming is Philips SHP9500. As for mics, you have Massdrop Minimic and V-Moda BoomPro. The BoomPro isn't compatible with HD668B.

You posted htis ltierraly 1second before i said that i found them. I got one question though. What's the comfort level? My brother had ones i belive and he said the comfort-level is mediicore due to the small earpads which are dull.

That's going to be completely subjective from person to person. It's comfortable on my head. I like this wing design much better than Audio-Technica's because it's tighter, so the headphones don't slide down and don't rest on my ears. I think it's important that you replace the ear pads with better quality to get better comfort.

1 minute ago, Tacanacy said:

That's going to be completely subjective from person to person. It's comfortable on my head. I like this wing design much better than Audio-Technica's because it's tighter, so the headphones don't slide down and don't rest on my ears. I think it's important that you replace the ear pads with better quality to get better comfort.

Hello again.

1- How much does a ear-pad change cost, just curious.

2 - Also found a so called "AKG K518". any thoughts?

7 minutes ago, RoyalBeer said:

Hello again.

1- How much does a ear-pad change cost, just curious.

2 - Also found a so called "AKG K518". any thoughts?

The velour earpads from HiFiMAN cost $10: http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/velour-earpads.html
They are a little bit deeper than the stock pads.
I haven't come across AKG K518 before. But from looking at photos, I see they're closed-back, which will generally provide a small soundstage or no soundstage. Soundstage and imaging overlap, so it's difficult to say how the closed design would affect imaging. In my experience, soundstage and imaging go hand in hand, so if the soundstage suffers, the imaging does too.

14 minutes ago, Tacanacy said:

The velour earpads from HiFiMAN cost $10: http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/velour-earpads.html
They are a little bit deeper than the stock pads.
I haven't come across AKG K518 before. But from looking at photos, I see they're closed-back, which will generally provide a small soundstage or no soundstage. Soundstage and imaging overlap, so it's difficult to say how the closed design would affect imaging. In my experience, soundstage and imaging go hand in hand, so if the soundstage suffers, the imaging does too.

Thanks for the info! Really appreciated to have such indept posts.

I'm most likely gonna uby the HD688b

Now the microphone comes to place, like I said. Using bassicly only for gaming. But I figured that I could ask you for some "explanation" if that's not gonna be much trouble. 

Which to buy, which are good, which are dogshits. Which are best budget ones (10-30$) etc.

Sorry for the trouble!

11 minutes ago, RoyalBeer said:

Thanks for the info! Really appreciated to have such indept posts.

I'm most likely gonna uby the HD688b

Now the microphone comes to place, like I said. Using bassicly only for gaming. But I figured that I could ask you for some "explanation" if that's not gonna be much trouble. 

Which to buy, which are good, which are dogshits. Which are best budget ones (10-30$) etc.

Sorry for the trouble!

Under that price, you have:

• Massdrop Minimic
  • Neewer 3.5mm Clip on Mini Lapel Microphone
  • Sony ECMCS3
  • Zalman ZM-Mic1

The Minimic attaches to the headphones and the others attach to your shirt. The Minimic is being sold on Massdrop now for $25, but the estimated ship date is 21. September.

Well, since the base ModMic is out of your price range by $20 or so, you're basically looking at an inexpensive desktop mic or cheap clip-on mic. The Boompro is not compatible with the HD668, so that is out too.

For Clip-on at that low a price I recommend either the Zalman or - if you want to spend a few dollars more - the Sony ECMCS3. I'd take the Sony, personally.

For Desktop you're basically looking at one of the bottom tier brands like Neewer, but no specific model I know is something I can recommend.

Of course the best solution is really the ModMic, but I am incredibly bias when I say that! If you don't mind the whole clip on thing for $17 the ECM is a nice lav mic.

Oh and absolutely replace those 668 earpads!

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

5 hours ago, RoyalBeer said:

Hello. As I'm looking for them. I've stumbled upon superlux.

To be exact : Superlux HD681B /HD681

Anybody used those?

Also @L.Lawliet I've got no interests in a mic +30$ honestly. I don't need such a mic.

Please note. I CANNOT TEST-THEM OUT, NO SHOP HAS THEM.

I had the Superlux HD681B and I threw them in the garbage because they were so bad. Even Apple Earbuds are more tolerable. 

- The ergonomics were a farce! It comes with a self adjusting elastic headband that will pull your ears up and cause acute pain unless your head is the shape and size of a grapefruit. Also, they clamp hard. And the earpads are too small unless you have Shrek ears. 

- The sound...oh the sound...Just imagine nails on a chalkboard amplified by a million. These things are treble canons. The sibilance is unbearable. 

Unless you're planning on torturing a prisoner by blasting the Jesus & Mary Chain on the Superlux 681B, don't buy these headphones. They should be illegal. They're that awful. 

Just buy the Philips SHP 9500. They sound shockingly good. You can add a V moda boom pro if you need a mic. And the earcups are the size and shape suitable for a human. Not a grapefruit with Shrek ears. And they're within budget. 

53 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

I had the Superlux HD681B and I threw them in the garbage because they were so bad. Even Apple Earbuds are more tolerable. 

- The ergonomics were a farce! It comes with a self adjusting elastic headband that will pull your ears up and cause acute pain unless your head is the shape and size of a grapefruit. Also, they clamp hard. And the earpads are too small unless you have Shrek ears. 

- The sound...oh the sound...Just imagine nails on a chalkboard amplified by a million. These things are treble canons. The sibilance is unbearable. 

Unless you're planning on torturing a prisoner by blasting the Jesus & Mary Chain on the Superlux 681B, don't buy these headphones. They should be illegal. They're that awful. 

Just buy the Philips SHP 9500. They sound shockingly good. You can add a V moda boom pro if you need a mic. And the earcups are the size and shape suitable for a human. Not a grapefruit with Shrek ears. And they're within budget. 

Not everyone is extremely sensitive to treble. And have you heard of replacing earpads?

1 hour ago, Tacanacy said:

Not everyone is extremely sensitive to treble. And have you heard of replacing earpads?

Yeah, because I really want to buy a $30 headphone so that I can spend another $30 on it to make it tolerable. This still doesn't solve the issue of the self-adjusting headband pulling my ears up. Do yourself a favor and get good headphones that don't require add-ons or mods to become usable...just usable. 

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

Yeah, because I really want to buy a $30 headphone so that I can spend another $30 on it to make it tolerable. This still doesn't solve the issue of the self-adjusting headband pulling my ears up. Do yourself a favor and get good headphones that don't require add-ons or mods to become usable...just usable. 

Lol, the budget is $70. The headphones cost $40 and earpads with good quality don't cost more than $10. With this budget and the purpose being gaming, there are few reputable headphones to choose from. I've researched the SHP9500 and I'm reluctant to mention it to others because people who have complained about it for gaming have at least described why. I've yet to see someone claim why it's good for gaming. If you're thinking of doing so, then save your effort; you've already come across as overly biased. Comfort and treble sensitivity are some of the most subjective factors in regard to headphones, and there's one thing to make people aware of potential issues, and then there's another when you try to convince people out of getting certain headphones. You make it sound like your issues will be OP's issues.

54 minutes ago, Tacanacy said:

Lol, the budget is $70. The headphones cost $40 and earpads with good quality don't cost more than $10. With this budget and the purpose being gaming, there are few reputable headphones to choose from. I've researched the SHP9500 and I'm reluctant to mention it to others because people who have complained about it for gaming have at least described why. I've yet to see someone claim why it's good for gaming. If you're thinking of doing so, then save your effort; you've already come across as overly biased. Comfort and treble sensitivity are some of the most subjective factors in regard to headphones, and there's one thing to make people aware of potential issues, and then there's another when you try to convince people out of getting certain headphones. You make it sound like your issues will be OP's issues.

If i may ask, have you used/listened to the SHP9500? just out curiosity..

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

Just now, nicobombai said:

If i may ask, have you used/listened to the SHP9500? just out curiosity..

No, not yet.

2 minutes ago, Tacanacy said:

No, not yet.

Have a listen to them. :)

If i just research on the net without actually listening to the product first hand i might as well say HD800S suck balls lol.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

26 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

Have a listen to them. :)

If i just research on the net without actually listening to the product first hand i might as well say HD800S suck balls lol.

Uh, so you're trying every headphone in the world to see which one is the best match? No, I didn't think so. You make informed guesses. SHP9500 has very little going for it in that regard to gaming. I've explained the problem with how people recommend SHP9500 for gaming, which is the same way you did with HD800 when trying to make a point.

There are no such things as gaming headsets. There are good headphones for gaming.OK so let me brake it down...

A headphone is  simply 2 mini speakers that are connected. the usual size of the speaker magent are 40-55mm

When companies market 7.1 or 5.1 speakers, it means that you have 7 or 5 speakers around a room with a subwoofer. This allows one to feel like he is actually in the "zone" or thing that he is watching. This is called surround sound.

Now "gaming" headset  trick you in thinking that headphones have this physical capability, but if your read closely they say virtual surround sound. (yes there are a few headphones with multiple TINY drivers but the sound quality is dreadful ( ive heard one before). For almost all "gaming"headsets, it is simply a software. NO you do not need this software. Ex (click this)Watch this :Virtual Barber shop its actually REALLY cool.

now what makes a headset? Simple, it is simply a pair of headphones with a microphone attached. 

Companies will increase the price of their product by claiming 7.1 SS capabilities, adding a mic AND aesthetics. Please, i BEG of you, you are wearing these headphones on your head, you do not need RGB. What does all this mean? lower price to preformance.

What now???

Its simple actually, get a a headphone and a mic separately. 

Now there are many different types of headphones with different pros and cons. Some headphones have a wide sound stage, some have good bass, others have their own perks.

Two things will probably come up, 

Open back or closed back?

Open back headphones Ex. shp9500(s), have a wide sound stage but lack in bass. BUT others around you can hear what your listening to because the earcups are exposed, thus not a good headphone for areas with alot of noise. These headphones do not isolate noise at all.

Closed back  are basically the opposite. They passively cancel out noise. they also usually have a smaller soundstage but have good bass. 

I would choose open back if your environment allows because it is better for fps (yes you loose (a bit) of bass but you can live)

Whats a dac/AMP 

a dac is a Digital to audio converter and an amp is a amplifier. Most motherboards have decent dac/amps but they are only mediocre. not everyone needs a dac/amp, but EVERYONE can benefit from a good set. if your motherboard audio fails you, you can get a dac/amp that fits your budget, or get the E1 soundblaster, soundcard or a USB audio stick.

What about a mic?

Well, there are two main, attachable mics, 

The modmic is good for headphones that lack a removable cable. it is a mic that attaches to a pair of headphones by a magnet. you can take it on or off as you please.

The VMODA mic is a mic that fits into the audio jack of a headphone that allows you to take out  the cable. Thus allowing you to have one cable for both the headphone and the mic, while the modmic requires you to have two cables leading to your source

EX

Image result for shp9500

^ is the shp9500, it has a removable cable

This below is the SHP9500(s) with a modmic,

Image result for shp9500 v moda

Image result for antlion modmic

this is the modmic. As seen it attaches to a headphone.

They are both the same quality. if you can, get the vmoda boompro instead of the MODMIC because you dont need 2 cables UNLESS YOU ARE USING AN EXTERNAL DAC/AMP SOURCE FOR YOUR HEADPHONEAS AND IT DOES NOT SUPPORT MIC IN. using different dac/amp for your headphones with the vmoda will causing a slight hum due to electrical grounding issues. using the mic/headphone splitters that come with the Vmoda mic is fine if u connect it to the same source (motherboard audio, soundcard etc.)  .THIS IS NOT MANUFATURING FLAW OR DEFECT. it is just a con of using a mic built in to an audio output. if you dont use an external dac/amp without a mic input your fine. the creative E1 is the only mic/headphone dac/amp that youll find for $40.

Microphones that dont connect to your headphones :

this clip on mic is also above par but doesnt attach to your headset,

if you can, the blue yeti or snowball usb mic are superior but if desk space or clicky keyboards is an issue, these ^^ mics are perfectly fine

Here is a list on the recommended headphones you can get. (closed and open)

here is his channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/ZeosReviews

I am in now way affiliated with Zeos* lol.

Btw you might see people recommend the hyper X's 

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i wonder why. tell me if you see a similarity here.

Hyper X  *** this is the gunmetal grey** it also comes in red.

Image result for hyper x headphones

Takstar pro 80

Image result for tackstar 80

WOW, its only as if kingston (hyperX) took a decent pair of comfy and good sounding headphones and slapped a mic onto it and re branded it as their own while everyone else made crappy headphones!

Heed my words, dont get a gaming headset, get a separate headphone and mic. You can also wear the headphones around without the mic and not look like a...............

if you are restricted, get the kingston's hyperX headset from above. You can also just use your headphones/apple earpods and get a surprisingly well sony clip on mic or a cheap decent zalmon mic.

I own the SHP9500s and a vmoda boompro. No complaints, really comfy and convenient . $80 USD total.

feel free to AMA.

The Virtual Barber Shop is irrelevant because no games, as far as I know, have this level of binaural recording or aren't mixed anywhere near as good as this. The Virtual Barber Shop also records mostly across the X-axis. In games, depth is equally important.

Hello,

First let me start with a exxagerated "THANK YOU" note. @Lethalmonk  ; @Tacanacy I never saw anybody go that much indept with a review, i cannot stress this enough. All i can say, thank you for the trouble!

With that being said, I'm going to bother you again!

Let's start with the headphones. Only the HD668B's are availabe. With those earpods, in the same shop conviniently.  So I wanna ask about one thing again, an "Extended" opinion about the sound quality of them. A few people say they sound.... "muddy-ish". 

Now I'll go with the mics.... none of those you've mentioned are avalible in my country (Poland), atlesat not the cheaper ones. Which puts me in an uncomfortable position to ask for help again. 

Sidenotes :

-The fuck is AMA?

- Do you guys have THAT kind of knowledge about other periphals aswell? 

I haven't heard of those earpads. I've read people claim that velour earpads let sound pass out more freely and that pleather traps the sound more. I only use velour earpads and I threw out the HD668B's stock pads, so I don't have experience with this.

You really can't order online? Have you considered a desktop mic?

I don't know what AMA stands for.