If LTX is successful this year could it come to the UK next year?

3 Lions

@LinusTech @Slick @nicklmg

As LTX 2017 is based in Canada it's hard for people living in the UK and the rest Europe to actually go. Basing it in the UK would be so much better, I've even found the correct venue which would be the NEC in Birmingham as this is basically next to Birmingham International Airport it would be very easy to transport all of your gear to the venue and most importantly it would be much easier for people from other countries to come, plus you get nearly 20 halls to play with much more than the venue that will be hosting LTX 2017. 

Here's a promo video of the venue

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

3 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

@LinusTech @Slick @nicklmg

As LTX 2017 is based in Canada it's hard for people living in the UK and the rest Europe to actually go. Basing it in the UK would be so much better, I've even found the correct venue which would be the NEC in Birmingham as this is basically next to Birmingham International Airport it would be very easy to transport all of your gear to the venue and most importantly it would be much easier for people from other countries to come, plus you get nearly 20 halls to play with much more than the venue that will be hosting LTX 2017. 

Here's a promo video of the venue

LTX won't be going anywhere else unless it becomes an incredible success that makes buckets and buckets of money. Transporting people & gear is a HUGE expense, highly unlikely that we'll ever do an LTX outside of BC.

And if we do, it'll probably be somewhere in the US - where most of our hardware partners, and therefore our potential "exhibitors" are located - and where about 35% of our audience comes from.

Sorry! :( 

Mainland Europe would make so much more sense than UK, especially since the UK is leaving the EU.

But as said above, doing it outside of their region makes even smaller sense.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 hours ago, nicklmg said:

LTX won't be going anywhere else unless it becomes an incredible success that makes buckets and buckets of money. Transporting people & gear is a HUGE expense, highly unlikely that we'll ever do an LTX outside of BC.

And if we do, it'll probably be somewhere in the US - where most of our hardware partners, and therefore our potential "exhibitors" are located - and where about 35% of our audience comes from.

Sorry! :( 

Huh, 35% is lower than I'd have thought.  Roughly what percentage of the audience is Canadian vs International?

6 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Huh, 35% is lower than I'd have thought.  Roughly what percentage of the audience is Canadian vs International?

If I had to guess, under 5%.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Well I can only speak to % of views, which isn't necessarily entirely representative of actual audience percentage, but it's the best I've got.

Right now we're at about 32% USA, 20% EU, 9% Asia, 9% UK, 5% Canada, and 5% Australia/New Zealand. Typically US floats between 30-40% of total views.

Just now, nicklmg said:

Well I can only speak to % of views, which isn't necessarily entirely representative of actual audience percentage, but it's the best I've got.

Right now we're at about 32% USA, 20% EU, 9% Asia, 9% UK, 5% Canada, and 5% Australia/New Zealand. Typically US floats between 30-40% of total views.

Wow, really?  While I get that these are rough numbers but a Canadian made tech series own domestic audience is the same size as the Australia/New Zealand audience?  I am legit disappointed. :(

Wow, really?  While I get that these are rough numbers but a Canadian made tech series own domestic audience is the same size as the Australia/New Zealand audience?  I am legit disappointed. :(

The numbers line up pretty well to be honest. Aus/NZ combined have about 30 million people, Canada has 35. I'd say that's within margin of error in terms of "broad access" to the content.

We're serving both of those markets better on a views/million people basis than we are in the US.

Looking at Views per 1 Million people per month (let's call that VMm) we're at:

USA: 43,820.24 VMm

Canada: 64,800.05 VMm

Australia/New Zealand: 76,392.05 VMm

I'd attribute the high population of Aus/NZ fans to our previous release time (midnight PST) which catered extremely well to their timezone (5pm AEST). We released at this time for a number of years, catering to a population that most tech channels were blatantly ignoring (that wasn't the primary reason for our choice of that time, but it was certainly a nice side effect), and putting less of a focus on NA viewers, so it's to be expected that our coverage in NA is less than perfect :)

Just now, nicklmg said:

The numbers line up pretty well to be honest. Aus/NZ combined have about 30 million people, Canada has 35. I'd say that's within margin of error in terms of "broad access" to the content.

We're serving both of those markets better on a views/million people basis than we are in the US.

Looking at Views per 1 Million people per month (let's call that VMm) we're at:

USA: 43,820.24 VMm

Canada: 64,800.05 VMm

Australia/New Zealand: 76,392.05 VMm

I'd attribute the high population of Aus/NZ fans to our previous release time (midnight PST) which catered extremely well to their timezone (5pm AEST). We released at this time for a number of years, catering to a population that most tech channels were blatantly ignoring (that wasn't the primary reason for our choice of that time, but it was certainly a nice side effect), and putting less of a focus on NA viewers, so it's to be expected that our coverage in NA is less than perfect :)

Yeah, but I was expecting a measurable boost in numbers from Canadian viewers prefering, do a statistical degree, to consume a Canadian production.  Similar, I thought there'd be more Americans since LTT typically consumes North American SKUs and deals with American pricing normally.

That said that's why I'd also imagine a British channel doing better among a UK audience or an Australia channel doing better among it's Australian audience.  I mean what god fearing British tech user watching a heat sink fan review would want to hear the word 'Aluminum' get butchered by Linus' Canadian accent? :P 

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Yeah, but I was expecting a measurable boost in numbers from Canadian viewers prefering, do a statistical degree, to consume a Canadian production.  Similar, I thought there'd be more Americans since LTT typically consumes North American SKUs and deals with American pricing normally.

That said that's why I'd also imagine a British channel doing better among a UK audience or an Australia channel doing better among it's Australian audience.  I mean what god fearing British tech user watching a heat sink fan review would want to hear the word 'Aluminum' get butchered by Linus' Canadian accent? :P 

Heh. Yeah I think nationalistic pride is becoming less and less significant as the world becomes more integrated. I'm not trying to get into the weird "globalist" political stuff, but there is something to be said for the elimination of borders digitally causing an elimination of cultural differentiation in some ways.

Maybe I'm just reaching at that point though :P 

Just now, nicklmg said:

Heh. Yeah I think nationalistic pride is becoming less and less significant as the world becomes more integrated. I'm not trying to get into the weird "globalist" political stuff, but there is something to be said for the elimination of borders digitally causing an elimination of cultural differentiation in some ways.

Maybe I'm just reaching at that point though :P 

All I'm hearing you say is 'Maybe Linus is acting too American on camera'.  Shoulda expected his when he started advertising Ting, WHICH ISN'T EVEN AVAILABLE IN CANADA.

I demand reviews of the latest in Zamboni technology, advertisements for Tim Hortons, and LinusBeaverTips... Oh and maybe the next prank should be a moose breaking into the warehouse.  ...OR I'M GOING STRAIGHT TO THE CRTC!  CAN CON!  CAN CON!  CAN CON! :P

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

All I'm hearing you say is 'Maybe Linus is acting too American on camera'.  Shoulda expected his when he started advertising Ting, WHICH ISN'T EVEN AVAILABLE IN CANADA.

I demand reviews of the latest in Zamboni technology, advertisements for Tim Hortons, and LinusBeaverTips... Oh and maybe the next prank should be a moose breaking into the warehouse.  ...OR I'M GOING STRAIGHT TO THE CRTC!  CAN CON!  CAN CON!  CAN CON! :P

I still want to do the "Canadian Winter Survival Tech Backpack" filled with like, huge battery banks, a 4G LTE hotspot and shit for when you're snowed in and lose power. I think that would be hilarious.

3 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

I still want to do the "Canadian Winter Survival Tech Backpack" filled with like, huge battery banks, a 4G LTE hotspot and shit for when you're snowed in and lose power. I think that would be hilarious.

Shame it's way too late to do content tied to Canada 150 and racked in all that money the government was giving away. :P