AMD Epyc 7000 series revealed

NumLock21
Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

this may be a big chip but its still 180W and 1u is very little space to work with

because of the size of the chip the heat is distributed across the heatsink more evenly, as the heat is much less concentrated on the middle (like on monolithic dies), as this will literally be 4 45w chips separated by what seems to be a good centimeter 

AM I READING THIS RIGHT.

the single socket 16c EPYC will cost less then $700 and the dual socket capable CPU's is $1100-$600. so Threadripper shouldn't be more then $1000.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

37 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Screenshot_2017-06-15-09-25-48_1.thumb.jpg.ec5843c753252dd1d4d8d6798016b212.jpg

Screenshot_2017-06-15-09-25-58_1.jpg.888d52dacf9b4b280f4e0c01bf7840d8.jpg

Performance looks promising, but:

• AVX performance is clearly not taken into account
  • They are comparing EPYC to older Xeons, we don't know how EPYC stacks up vs Skylake Xeons

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

16 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

That TDP looks a bit too high for the low core count models, especially considering the low clock speed. 
The clockspeed is lower than intels which based on threadripper leaks shouldn't be happening, and if true AMD has little chance of beating intel. Unless of course the server processors are way downclocked for some reason even though they are supposed to be better binned.

Server processors  are always downclocked, since their main use favors core count over clocks, and cramming as many processors in as little space as possible is another main concern (hence you want to keep heat down). Check any Xeon or Opteron lineup...

Still, claiming 120W for the 8x2GHz CPU seems overly cautious - I don't expect the additional CCXs (with dead cores) needed to justify double the TDP of a 1700 while running at lower clocks...

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

the single socket 16c EPYC will cost less then $700 and the dual socket capable CPU's is $1100-$600. so Threadripper shouldn't be more then $1000.

They can sell it for more than $1000 if they want, (For example, Intel sells the 2630 v4 for $700 and the 6950X for $1700) But I don't think that they will do that :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

this may be a big chip but its still 180W and 1u is very little space to work with

I had two 95 watt Intel X5670's in a U1 chassis for a while, sure it ran hot as all hell, but if you make a single socket U1 board it'll be fine, don't forget U1 chassis' aren't meant for powerhouse computing or massive workloads, it's a density vs cost thing, they're cheaper than blade servers but don't use as much room as the U2 and U3 racks, which form the majority of the backbone alone with blade servers. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Still, claiming 120W for the 8x2GHz CPU seems overly cautious - I don't expect the additional CCXs (with dead cores) needed to justify double the TDP of a 1700 while running at lower clocks...

But this one has 4x more memory channels and 8x more PCIe lanes(I think), I don't think that it's too cautious....

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

They can sell it for more than $1000 if they want, (For example, Intel sells the 2630 v4 for $700 and the 6950X for $1700) But I don't think that they will do that :P

my point is if the 16c32t Epyc chip is $700 why would the less cache, less PCIe CPU cost more?

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

I had two 95 watt Intel X5670's in a U1 chassis for a while, sure it ran hot as all hell, but if you make a single socket U1 board it'll be fine, don't forget U1 chassis' aren't meant for powerhouse computing or massive workloads, it's a density vs cost thing, they're cheaper than blade servers but don't use as much room as the U2 and U3 racks, which form the majority of the backbone alone with blade servers. 

two 95W chips is more fine seeing as you can have them a bit appart, this is a single chip, sure its big but 1u will still be super hot. i dont think ANYONE would put one in a 1u chasie but its a fun thought

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, The Benjamins said:

my point is if the 16c32t Epyc chip is $700 why would the less cache, less PCIe CPU cost more?

O-V-E-R-C-L-O-C-K-I-N-G. They can be overclocked to 4GHz....

two 95W chips is more fine seeing as you can have them a bit appart, this is a single chip, sure its big but 1u will still be super hot. i dont think ANYONE would put one in a 1u chasie but its a fun thought

No tbh my chips where baked alive, running at 80°C for a year before I decided enough was enough and moved them to a larger box. The IHS on Epyc is probably twice the size of LGA1366, and just being one socket, you could have a pretty decently sized heat sink, it would be fine if the server was built around the socket, which they usually are. 

Yours faithfully

I'll happily be waiting for some way for Luke to throw one of these in a super tiny case with a 1080ti

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Just now, AHaskin14 said:

I'll happily be waiting for some way for Luke to throw one of these in a super tiny case with a 1080ti

Those CPUs can't fit on a small board, they are too big for this xD

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

O-V-E-R-C-L-O-C-K-I-N-G. They can be overclocked to 4GHz....

ok thats why I said $1000, and it makes the rumors of the entry 16c at $850 make a lot of sense.

also isn't is a lot easier to get away with high premiums on the server platform then enthusiast.

What makes you think Threadripper will cost VASTLY more then Epyc?

Does this say what the performance stats are based on? Can't find it in the article or pics.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, The Benjamins said:

What makes you think Threadripper will cost VASTLY more then Epyc?

I didn't say that it will cost vastly more than EPYC, i just said that it will cost more than EPYC, because it is overclockable.

For example, this 8 core Xeon costs $400:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XjZ2FT/intel-cpu-bx80660e52620v4

The 7820X costs $600 and the 6900K costs $1000

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Does this say what the performance stats are based on? Can't find it in the article or pics.

Not an AVX benchmark, that's for sure

7 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Those CPUs can't fit on a small board, they are too big for this xD

I figured as much, maybe the next OP build will have to be an X299 then

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

14 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Not an AVX benchmark, that's for sure

It doesn't sound right for IPS. I don't have the greatest knowledge of Xeons, but I really don't think these things are pushing out nearly double the IPS of their intel rivals.

It'd be nice if they'd at least think about detailing the results they publish instead of just mentioning bench software name.

For anyone who is interested

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPECint

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

10 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

No tbh my chips where baked alive, running at 80°C for a year before I decided enough was enough and moved them to a larger box. The IHS on Epyc is probably twice the size of LGA1366, and just being one socket, you could have a pretty decently sized heat sink, it would be fine if the server was built around the socket, which they usually are. 

i dont think its quite doubble the size of an LGA1366 chip, im thinking about 1.75x or so. but the fact that you have two heat points instead of one helps with cooling, so i would think that 1u 180W would be extremely hard to do at an acceptable temperature without a huge custom heatsink

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

128 PCIE Lanes? Jesus, what to do with so many PCIE lanes :x 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

i dont think its quite doubble the size of an LGA1366 chip, im thinking about 1.75x or so. but the fact that you have two heat points instead of one helps with cooling, so i would think that 1u 180W would be extremely hard to do at an acceptable temperature without a huge custom heatsink

Not really, Epyc is most likely 4 dies as is threadripper, maybe even a 5th "controller" die (that makes sense as it has so many IO systems but there is no reason they can't integrate it onto the other 4 dies) so the heat is already being spread across the whole IHS. This isn't like with Intel, where only the the middle of the IHS really matters, with these chips the entire IHS will be very important to cooling, so I fully expect a cooler of about 20cm by 10cm to be wholly enough, however it would want to be made entirely of copper or have a vapour  chamber, it would be enough with the 15000 RPM fans found on U1 servers. 

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

It doesn't sound right for IPS. I don't have the greatest knowledge of Xeons, but I really don't think these things are pushing out nearly double the IPS of their intel rivals.

It'd be nice if they'd at least think about detailing the results they publish.

Xeons would destroy EPYC when using AVX, because of AMDs decision to gimp AVX so that they can keep cost and TDP down...

Ryzen AVX Benchmark:

Z7KyLnafEy4xEfApq5WGAP-650-80.png

Just now, sof006 said:

128 PCIE Lanes? Jesus, what to do with so many PCIE lanes :x 

8 way Titan Xp 3D Mark runs? 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Not really, Epyc is most likely 4 dies as is threadripper, maybe even a 5th "controller" die (that makes sense as it has so many IO systems but there is no reason they can't integrate it onto the other 4 dies) so the heat is already being spread across the whole IHS. This isn't like with Intel, where only the the middle of the IHS really matters, with these chips the entire IHS will be very important to cooling, so I fully expect a cooler of about 20cm by 10cm to be wholly enough, however it would want to be made entirely of copper or have a vapour  chamber, it would be enough with the 15000 RPM fans found on U1 servers. 

could work with the vapor chambre and two or three fans i would say

Builds:

Spoiler