AMD Epyc 7000 series revealed

NumLock21
1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

And 4 dies on epyc, does not mean 4 square holes in the socket. 

I'm thinking the separation between the sides might be to do with voltage regulation/delivery, wild ass guess.

14 minutes ago, LukaH said:

those TDPs..... even the 8c/16t part is at 120W I don't get it. maybe they really integrated the whole chipset onto the cpu?

Binning and clockspeeds are responsible for that.

Less cores, less heat is released at certain clockspeeds/voltages, and less power is used, which allows for higher clocks whilst releasing the same amount of heat and sucking the same amount of power. That heat output, if high enough, will cause instability. It's why some lower core count chips (namely, quad and hexacores) can get better overclocks than say, a dodecacore.

Binning is also a HUGE factor here, it doesn't explicitly mean a chip will overclock better. A good binned pile of chips can overclock like shit (doesn't mean that it will), but at lower clocks, sip voltage. Those chips will likely be used for the higher core count parts, to offset the fact that there are more cores to suck power and kick out heat.

Also, Intel's TDP numbers are a good reference for comparing potential heat output within the same or similar product lines, if you do CPU intensive tasks that drive up the heat. But the number isn't absolute, there can be quite a bit of deviation between two 140W octocores of the same name (let's pretend they're the 5960X), and Intel will gauge the TDP off of the worse one to cover their asses.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

14 hours ago, leadeater said:

Snowy Owl is a totally different socket all together and is BGA not LGA.

Edit:

Reason why we haven't heard anything is because it's an APU with Vega in it, there isn't anything really to show considering all the other factors relating to Vega.

Edit 2:

Nope haven't updated my info, initial reports of Snowy Owl being an APU were wrong that's Horned Owl. Still Snowy Owl is a low power BGA design for communications/network servers etc.

Correct, but we also haven't heard anything about it lately, unless the companies that use them are for Classified Communications tech.  My point is that Threadripper appears to be the Snowy Owl design on the Naples socket. (Which would explain the same pin size but electrically different.)  We knew they had 16c/32t parts designed and being rolled out, HEDT was just never on their roadmap.  (Probably because they didn't expect Zen to go quite so well.)

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Correct, but we also haven't heard anything about it lately, unless the companies that use them are for Classified Communications tech.  My point is that Threadripper appears to be the Snowy Owl design on the Naples socket. (Which would explain the same pin size but electrically different.)  We knew they had 16c/32t parts designed and being rolled out, HEDT was just never on their roadmap.  (Probably because they didn't expect Zen to go quite so well.)

Yea I missed that when I was still thinking Snowy Owl was a 16c APU and not simply a lower power design in a different socket doing the same essential thing as TR.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Yea I missed that when I was still thinking Snowy Owl was a 16c APU and not simply a lower power design in a different socket doing the same essential thing as TR.

Yeah, all of these weird names. Snowy Owl was listed as part of Naples in the few slides that leaked.

And I also don't think AMD even expected Zen to go as well as it did. They were talking 40% IPC uplift and got 52% or so.  In fact, it went so well, we're back to the fun of the early 2000s in the CPU market.  Now, let's just hope that Icelake isn't a rehash of Netburst.