OpenIV Shuts down due to Legal Issues

If there was ever a time Rockstar should think about splitting from Take Two, now is the time.

While they can't use the GTA name, I'm sure that any similar game made by them under a different name would see plenty of success, especially if it embraces modding.

Just now, Jito463 said:

There's no guarantee that the game won't be updated, and the mod installer will stop working.

ive always been udner the impression that it isnt affected by updates?and that all it does is allow you to view/change files easier?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

ive always been udner the impression that it isnt affected by updates?and that all it does is allow you to view/change files easier?

You could be right, I have no experience with this particular program.  I'm basing my opinion on similar mod installers for other games, which from time to time must be updated for the latest build of the game.

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

You could be right, I have no experience with this particular program.  I'm basing my opinion on similar mod installers for other games, which from time to time must be updated for the latest build of the game.

afaik regardless of the game version open iv works regardless(dont quote me on it)

things like ragehook require to be updated when theres a gta update

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

13 minutes ago, normpearii said:

If there was ever a time Rockstar should think about splitting from Take Two, now is the time.

While they can't use the GTA name, I'm sure that any similar game made by them under a different name would see plenty of success, especially if it embraces modding.

What makes you say that? AFAIK Grand Theft Auto was created and is owned by Rockstar, not Take Two.

In fact Wikipedia seems to infer that R* already self publish GTA.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Swarms of negative reviews after the news broke, i don't think this will change anything though.

R8FLyLv.png

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

What makes you say that? AFAIK Grand Theft Auto was created and is owned by Rockstar, not Take Two.

In fact Wikipedia seems to infer that R* already self publish GTA.

Rockstar was created by Take Two in the first place. They own the rights to all the games created by the studio.

https://trademarks.justia.com/861/24/grand-theft-86124384.html

Grand Theft Auto is trademarked by Take Two, not the studio Rockstar.

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

Swarms of negative reviews after the news broke, i don't think this will change anything though.

Reviews - no, but media backslash might. It's not the first time after all when people were heard by big companies. Sadly this time "big company" has one of the best ever selling games, which will influence their stance of not giving a fuck.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Now they have removed all GTA 5 reviews from steam....

| I7 2600@4.2Ghz | Corsair A70 w/H100 fans | 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz | MSI Z77A G45 Gaming | Corsair TX650 | XFX R9 380 | 2x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0 | 2x Seagate 500GB in RAID 0 | 750GB Seagate | 500GB WDHDD + 500GB WD USB HDD | Sound Blaster Recon | Antec Sonta Case | HP LP2480zx @1920x1200 | Acer H243H @1920x1080 | BenQ EW2440

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

They must of put it back,or mabye it was a glitch,but it was showing no reviews eariler for me... i should of screen shotted it.

| I7 2600@4.2Ghz | Corsair A70 w/H100 fans | 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz | MSI Z77A G45 Gaming | Corsair TX650 | XFX R9 380 | 2x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0 | 2x Seagate 500GB in RAID 0 | 750GB Seagate | 500GB WDHDD + 500GB WD USB HDD | Sound Blaster Recon | Antec Sonta Case | HP LP2480zx @1920x1200 | Acer H243H @1920x1080 | BenQ EW2440

34 minutes ago, trainergames said:

They must of put it back,or mabye it was a glitch,but it was showing no reviews eariler for me... i should of screen shotted it.

They show up for me too.  Obviously if they were actually removing reviews because of this that would just be digging the hole deeper, but we also have to be sure we don't jump to hating them for something they didn't even do xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

47 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They show up for me too.  Obviously if they were actually removing reviews because of this that would just be digging the hole deeper, but we also have to be sure we don't jump to hating them for something they didn't even do xD 

Steam had a little hiccup. A few different game's reviews weren't coming up for a bit as well.

8 minutes ago, normpearii said:

Steam had a little hiccup. A few different game's reviews weren't coming up for a bit as well.

probably buckling under the load of all the negative reviews xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

32 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

probably buckling under the load of all the negative reviews

Looking at the long-term and recent numbers, it does indeed look like GTA5 received more than 10,000 negative reviews in less than 24 hours.

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

Looking at the long-term and recent numbers, it does indeed look like GTA5 received more than 10,000 negative reviews in less than 24 hours.

And rightfully so.  There's not much we as consumers can really do to control the behaviour of these companies but spreading the word as to why they don't deserve your money is one of them.

11 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

That doesn't matter.

All Rockstar/Take Two has to do is release a teaser trailer for Red Dead Redemption 2. And every single one of those negative reviewers will forgot all about OpenIV being forced to shutdown.

49 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

That doesn't matter.

All Rockstar/Take Two has to do is release a teaser trailer for Red Dead Redemption 2. And every single one of those negative reviewers will forgot all about OpenIV being forced to shutdown.

Unless Red Dead Redemption 2 isn't coming to PC.

I have very little interest in playing GTA V anymore if I can't play around with mods.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

15 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Unless Red Dead Redemption 2 isn't coming to PC.

I have very little interest in playing GTA V anymore if I can't play around with mods.

Well it's not coming to the PC.

10 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Well it's not coming to the PC.

Then mentioning it won't do anything to quiet all the PC gamers they just pissed off.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

3 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

That doesn't matter.

I hope not.  And odds are it won't even come to PC so it will go basically unnoticed like the last one

Heres the official resposne

http://kotaku.com/popular-gta-v-modding-tool-shuts-down-community-explod-1796112893

UPDATE 6/15 7:58PM: Here’s Rockstar Games, confirming the situation:

“Take-Two’s actions were not specifically targeting single player mods. Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody. We are working to figure out how we can continue to support the creative community without negatively impacting our players.”

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX