OpenIV Shuts down due to Legal Issues

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, this is sad, some huge names/series fall under their umbrella.  BioShock, Borderlands, Civilization, GTA (obviously), and Mafia just to name a few.  All dead :( 

I wouldn't say they're dead but it's not good news for people who enjoy modding.  

Bioshock doesn't have mods does it?

I like the Bioshock series too much to stop playing ever again.  I've meant to give the Civilization games a try.

I wouldn't stop playing games I already owned.  Not playing games you paid good money for only punishes you.

Choosing not to buy games is a different matter.

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Gotta make sure there's no competition for their horse armor.

Reveal hidden contents

horsearmoroblivion.jpg

Not silver don't want.  ?

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

I wouldn't say they're dead but it's not good news for people who enjoy modding.  

Bioshock doesn't have mods does it?

I like the Bioshock series too much to stop playing ever again.  I've meant to give the Civilization games a try.

I wouldn't stop playing games I already owned.  Not playing games you paid good money for only punishes you.

Choosing not to buy games is a different matter.

Yeah I mean they're dead as in those games won't have sequels since who would buy from a company that acts like this?  Or at least, they shouldn't.  To be honest, this probably won't negatively affect them at all.

But yeah, keep playing what you have, if you can.  Obviously for anyone with mods, this presents a considerable obstacle though.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah I mean they're dead as in those games won't have sequels since who would buy from a company that acts like this?  Or at least, they shouldn't.  To be honest, this probably won't negatively affect them at all.

But yeah, keep playing what you have, if you can.  Obviously for anyone with mods, this presents a considerable obstacle though.

A new Bioshock would've been nice though...  ?

There aren't other ways to use mods for these games?

Hopefully crap like this doesn't ever happen to games like Skyrim.  

Can you imagine the uproar if players couldn't mod that?  ?

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

A new Bioshock would've been nice though...  ?

There aren't other ways to use mods for these games?

Hopefully crap like this doesn't ever happen to games like Skyrim.  

Can you imagine the uproar if players couldn't mod that?  ?

Back when I played GTA IV, there was another tool actually.  I can't remember what it was called but I only moved over to OpenIV when I got GTA V, despite the fact that, as you might have guessed by the name, it was available for GTA IV as well.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Back when I played GTA IV, there was another tool actually.  I can't remember what it was called but I only moved over to OpenIV when I got GTA V, despite the fact that, as you might have guessed by the name, it was available for GTA IV as well.

I've never played any GTA games.  Apparently I'm the one person on Earth that doesn't see their appeal.  ?

5 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Well that's not shocking, really. What do you expect from a tool used to dig through files used by Rockstar's games?

What, next they're going to send a cease and desist to Microsoft, the maker of Windows Explorer?

This all boils down to the EULA and the fact they say your not buying the game from them, your buying a license to play the game under their stated rules, one of which covers changing or replacing files contained in the game.

TBH I think they should fight, it would be a great case to test the legality of EULAs and all the BS they contain. 

The only problem with that scenario is if TT lost the case and a court decided that files on my hard drive are mine to do with as I please I could honestly see a lot of big publishers pulling out of PC gaming entirely.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

RIP my Goku with his Kawasaki Z1100, you will be miss.

Reveal hidden contents

KNQPoRR.jpg

Rest in p- Have I found another Kpop fan? 

Oh and nerd is pretty pissed

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

I wonder when these huge ass companies will realize that having an official modding tool will create a healthy and balanced modding community that won't violate their rules. 

7 minutes ago, JupiteL said:

I wonder when these huge ass companies will realize that having an official modding tool will create a healthy and balanced modding community that won't violate their rules. 

That doesn't make money, therefore they are not interested.

(Obvious counterexample: Bethesda)

Just now, HarryNyquist said:

That doesn't make money, therefore they are not interested.

(Obvious counterexample: Bethesda)

They won't make money directly from the mods, but I know there are lots of people who would willingly pay for another copy for PC just so they could mod their games, but got turned down quickly when they realized how much of a hassle some 3rd party modding tools are.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

This all boils down to the EULA and the fact they say your not buying the game from them, your buying a license to play the game under their stated rules, one of which covers changing or replacing files contained in the game.

This.   Like it or not, just because money changes hands does not mean the same for ownership.

We don't have to like it.  We don't have to agree.

We also don't have to like or agree with climate change; or even gravity for that matter.  Opinions do not change the truth of any of them.

..well...we technically don't have to agree to their terms...In fact the ability to disagree is one of the cornerstones of a free market.  It's called declining the transaction.

Well that's a gigantic kick in the nuts for the single-player gamers out there. I loved GTAV but hated R* for deliberately not putting multiplayer features (garages, insurance, new cars, etc) in the single-player to drive people into their shark card system. It was the mods that made the game truly playable for me by adding these features; I'd spend so much time buying and modifying cars and bikes and save them into character specific garages so I could use them in missions.

I was really looking forward to getting back into GTAV once my new system is built (I had to downgrade this year so can't actually play it right now) but without mods there's no point.

1 hour ago, Yamoto42 said:

This.   Like it or not, just because money changes hands does not mean the same for ownership.

We don't have to like it.  We don't have to agree.

We also don't have to like or agree with climate change; or even gravity for that matter.  Opinions do not change the truth of any of them.

..well...we technically don't have to agree to their terms...In fact the ability to disagree is one of the cornerstones of a free market.  It's called declining the transaction.

1 hour ago, Stefan1024 said:

So it was fine for 10 years and now all of a sudden it illegal? Sounds reasonable. /s

Given how long theyve allowes open iv to operate, could that portion of the eula be forfit? 

Wouldnt be the first time that a comoany lost their right to act on a eula(or similar) for not acting to protect their product. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

17 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Given how long theyve allowes open iv to operate, could that portion of the eula be forfit? 

Wouldnt be the first time that a comoany lost their right to act on a eula(or similar) for not acting to protect their product. 

Maybe, maybe not.

It would be a civil case, not a criminal one...so it's really more up to the judge.  The thing with contract law is that enforcement of the terms is the sole responsibility of the participants.  This means monitoring for breaches is their responsibility, but they are also at liberty to ignore them at their own discretion...and there isn't really a statute of limitations.  However, this is not the first time they have taken actions against mods in GTAV, so there is a counter-argument to be made there on the cost of legal action vs the perceived damages.

So ultimately, that is why we have judges, to hear much more detailed arguments and receive many more facts from both sides than we have time or availability for here.

The one, undeniable fact is TTI's right to sue over perceived damages.
The claim of violation stands until challenged in a court of law and the judge decides otherwise.

And defense can be quite expensive.

It's definitely a dick move.  I will fully agree on that.  However, I'm not the kind of person to let my personal opinions get in the way of an objective analysis.  Just because I prefer one side does not make it necessarily correct, and often times far more can be learned when they are not.

Echo chambers are rarely good for anything other than teaching alphabets and basic arithmetic...and even those uses are highly debatable.

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

there dead on pc but thats all they will still thrive on consoles

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

9 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Sparkiv, i never used openiv either. Idk wht ppl are freaking out, you can still use openiv and there are plenty of ways to still get it. Dick move by R* though especially since they have said in the past they like modding. Hope someone else makes a new tool just to give them the finger, however ill still be buying gta 6 lol.

10 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

Dick move by R* though

It's not R* who are the dick here.  It's TakeTwo, the publisher.  R* have always either condoned or supported single-player modding

Hopefully R* can put Take2 in their place, because this is going to hurt R* too.

I'd love to hear the phonecall between the companies, I can only assume that it contains lots of strong language and physical threats.

Thank fucking god for Jim Sterling, he says everything we're all thinking and a lot of stuff we're not...

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Perhaps modding is hurting micro transactions in GTA online? I don't know I only played the single player story.

Is it their business model now?

27 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

It's not R* who are the dick here.  It's TakeTwo, the publisher.  R* have always either condoned or supported single-player modding

Hopefully R* can put Take2 in their place, because this is going to hurt R* too.

I'd love to hear the phonecall between the companies, I can only assume that it contains lots of strong language and physical threats.

I've got to believe that at this point Rockstar have enough credence and capital to be able to cut the cord, go independent and not see any drop off in sales and profit figures.

14 hours ago, Rika Shiguma said:

im probably going to be getting my new pc by the end of 2017.. And one of the biggest things i wanted to do in gta v was to mod the game with some rp mods or something.

I wonder, wouldn't this kill off GTA RP since OpenIV may have of been used to install FiveM

just keep an old verison?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB