Closest Job In the Industry to Building Computer Parts

Haeking

I love computers, and love them very much. I was wondering what's the closest job in the whole industry for building computer components from ram, to cpu, to gpu etc.

Become and electrical engineer and join a camera/scada/plc/telecom company in their design dept

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Assembly line.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 hours ago, Haeking said:

I love computers, and love them very much. I was wondering what's the closest job in the whole industry for building computer components from ram, to cpu, to gpu etc.

What do you mean when you say "building" computer components?

Do you mean assembling components such as RAM, Caps, Resisters, and a GPU Chip into a Graphics Card?

Do you mean designing the PCB and layout of a Graphics Card?

Do you mean engineering a CPU or GPU chip?

Do you mean putting computer components together and building a computer?

Etc

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

What do you mean when you say "building" computer components?

Do you mean assembling components such as RAM, Caps, Resisters, and a GPU Chip into a Graphics Card?

Do you mean designing the PCB and layout of a Graphics Card?

Do you mean engineering a CPU or GPU chip?

Do you mean putting computer components together and building a computer?

Etc

Yep, to the point where I could even make my own custom parts etc 

2 minutes ago, Haeking said:

Yep, to the point where I could even make my own custom parts etc 

Not gonna happen.

Even Raja Koduri cannot make his own custom parts, unless he somehow convinces Lisa Su that a few million dollars worth of Fab Time is a worthy expenditure for Raja to have one custom part.

Some components you could custom build with the right knowledge, such as fans, a Power Supply, etc.

You could custom build a Motherboard if you could get the PCB made (or just do it old school style, but the motherboard would be fucking huge), and if you knew how to code BIOS firmware, etc.

Anyway, you'd need to become an Electronics Engineer. Getting a Masters in it, is likely needed for most of the actual R&D work.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Not gonna happen.

Even Raja Koduri cannot make his own custom parts, unless he somehow convinces Lisa Su that a few million dollars worth of Fab Time is a worthy expenditure for Raja to have one custom part.

Some components you could custom build with the right knowledge, such as fans, a Power Supply, etc.

You could custom build a Motherboard if you could get the PCB made (or just do it old school style, but the motherboard would be fucking huge), and if you knew how to code BIOS firmware, etc.

Anyway, you'd need to become an Electronics Engineer. Getting a Masters in it, is likely needed for most of the actual R&D work.

Still sounds like a ton of fun, most companies over price things and just don't know what the average consumer really wants. So even getting to build fans, psu, mobo's, etc will be fun. Plus at the same time I can perfect the art and learn to design possible gpu and cpu, so it will be worth as long as I invest my time well. Who know's maybe I can make a company that wont make you waste money each year but contends with intel, amd, and nvidia .

Just now, Haeking said:

Still sounds like a ton of fun, most companies over price things and just don't know what the average consumer really wants. So even getting to build fans, psu, mobo's, etc will be fun. Plus at the same time I can perfect the art and learn to design possible gpu and cpu, so it will be worth as long as I invest my time well. Who know's maybe I can make a company that wont make you waste money each year but contends with intel, amd, and nvidia .

If you wanted to make a CPU, you'd have to come up with an entirely new architecture, since x86 is copyrighted. And creating a new GPU architecture is very difficult because AMD and NVIDIA basically own all the basic GPU Intellectual Property needed to create a modern GPU - you might get creative and somehow avoid it, but it's unlikely (Intel couldn't, for example).

3 minutes ago, Haeking said:

You'd literally watch machines create the PCBs, place the solder pads, apply solder, and then solder on the components. You cannot have a person solder everything on themselves, at it'd take like, a week per graphics card, and much longer for a motherboard.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

If you wanted to make a CPU, you'd have to come up with an entirely new architecture, since x86 is copyrighted. And creating a new GPU architecture is very difficult because AMD and NVIDIA basically own all the basic GPU Intellectual Property needed to create a modern GPU - you might get creative and somehow avoid it, but it's unlikely (Intel couldn't, for example).

A new generation, a new challenge, might as well keep the world pushing forward

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

You'd literally watch machines create the PCBs, place the solder pads, apply solder, and then solder on the components. You cannot have a person solder everything on themselves, at it'd take like, a week per graphics card, and much longer for a motherboard.

I don't mind, on top of that I can still program, and do side jobs that still are in line with computers. Industries wide and makes me happy enough to want more in it.

Just now, Haeking said:

A new generation, a new challenge, might as well keep the world pushing forward

I don't mind, on top of that I can still program, and do side jobs that still are in line with computers. Industries wide and makes me happy enough to want more in it.

Make the first 1024-bit CPU :P Then code Doors-OS for it.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

20 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

-snip-

A Masters degree on watching LinusTechTips youtube videos wouldnt help i presume?

Groomlake Authority

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Make the first 1024-bit CPU :P Then code Doors-OS for it.

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

A Masters degree on watching LinusTechTips youtube videos wouldnt help i presume?

Lmao, this is why I love this community, makes me happy, makes me laugh, and keeps me going. Gotta love computers, and being a nerd/techy. 

1 minute ago, Haeking said:

-snip-

For real.

#PcMasterRace for life.

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

For real.

#PcMasterRace for life.

If only there was a way to give a virtual high five 

4 hours ago, Haeking said:

what's the closest job in the whole industry for building computer components

Assembly line work, is alright I guess, you are a human robot, you are a expendable employee.

Your max pay would be $15/hour if you are lucky.