To encourage social distancing, you must leave two blank lines at the start and end of every post, and before and after every quote. Failure to comply may result in non-essential parts of the forum closing. Click for more details. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Woodman567

WD Black vs. Seagate Barracuda?

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I am just putting together a list of parts for fun for a future build I may do, and I was looking for a long term storage option (at least 2TB) other than the SSD for the OS. I looked at the WD Black because of the great performance, but then a few lines down, I see the same amount of storage on a Seagate Barracuda for half the price! What exactly is the difference that makes the WD Black so much more expensive? Is the extra price worth it?

Barracuda

Post Cursed Images HERE

View my Hard Drive Tier and Review list here

Specs:
Core i5 6400

Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 2400MHz

MSI B350i Gaming PRO AC

NVIDIA RTX 2060 6GB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Solid State Drive

Western Digital 1TB Black

SeaSonic II 520 Watt Modular

Cooler Master Elite 110

Corsair Glaive RGB

Logitech G613

WD Black and Seagate Barracuda have different warranty times, 5 years and 2 years respectively.

But in terms of performance they won't differ much. Some people will say something like "but Seagate fails more!", but the reality is that all hard drives could fail. So always have a backup.

I have been extremely happy with my WD Black over the past 6 years although it does make some noise (not any more than any other HDD though), but I don't have a (recent) Seagate Barracuda to equally compare them.

If I were you, I would go for the Seagate.

I apologize for the way I am. If my post seemed rude, that was not my intention. Just my ineptness in forming a nice coherent message.

"those times will never come back :("

"I wish I could find a way to end the pain, other than the way I keep thinking of"

The WD Black is, I believe, the only consumer hard drive to have retained a five year warranty since the Thailand floods a couple years ago. Other companies have reduced their warranties, but not WD on the Black. It is also one of the fastest mechanical drives, although that is not sufficient (imho) to be worth the extra money. Throw in the extra warranty, and it is worthwhile.

Taken from Tom's Hardware

Post Cursed Images HERE

View my Hard Drive Tier and Review list here

Specs:
Core i5 6400

Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 2400MHz

MSI B350i Gaming PRO AC

NVIDIA RTX 2060 6GB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Solid State Drive

Western Digital 1TB Black

SeaSonic II 520 Watt Modular

Cooler Master Elite 110

Corsair Glaive RGB

Logitech G613

WD Black has a different controller and stuff, may last a bit longer. But for double the price, it's probs not worth it. 

X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread - Murica (But International) Parrot Gang

Big Rig (Done) - (Main Rig) - i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz/3.7Ghz core/uncore - Custom Loop: 2x 360GTS with EK-ZMT/Stubbies and EK D5 pump/res combo - EVGA X99 Classified - 32GB (4x8GB) HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3200MHz CL16 XMP - AMD Radeon VII (best TimeSpy so far: here) - 1TB 970 Evo - Corsair RM1000i - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG - 6x iPPC NF-F12 2000 

X79 Rig (Done) - (Alt Rig 1)- i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz - EVGA CLC 280 w/NF-P14s fans - EVGA X79 Dark - 16GBGB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600Mhz CL9 XMP - EVGA GTX 1660 Ti XC Ultra - MX500 1TB - 2x Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB - EVGA 1000W G3 w/CableMod PRO Carbon cables - Phanteks P400 (White) - NF-P12

X58 Rig (Done) - (Alt Rig 2) - Xeon X5675 @ 4.4/3.7 core/uncore- NH-D15S - EVGA X58 Classified SLI 4-Way - 24GB (3x8GB) HyperX Savage Red DDR3 @ 1750Mhz CL9-10-10-27 - 2x EVGA Classified 780s - 120GB HyperX SSD - EVGA 1600W T2 - Corsair 750D - 5x iPPC NF-A14 3000 PWM

2019 13" rMBP (i5/8GB/256GB) {work} - 2012 13" MBP (i5/16GB/525GB) {mine} - iPhone 11 Pro Max + Apple Watch S3 42mm - iPod Classic 6G 80GB running Rockbox + iPod Classic 5.5G Enhanced 30GB also on Rockbox - iPhone X - iPhone 4S on iOS 6.1.3

whip and nae nae

make sure to look at the RPM- that's very important. The price difference might be in the RPM. Just make sure it's 7200 RPM or above and you're good.

linus give tech tip

3 minutes ago, wii8cookies said:

make sure to look at the RPM- that's very important. The price difference might be in the RPM. Just make sure it's 7200 RPM or above and you're good.

Both Seagate Barracuda and WD Black drives (in the 2TB variants) are both 7200RPM with 64MB cache. Not sure on higher capacities, but I think Barracuda drives generally retain their RPM.

I apologize for the way I am. If my post seemed rude, that was not my intention. Just my ineptness in forming a nice coherent message.

"those times will never come back :("

"I wish I could find a way to end the pain, other than the way I keep thinking of"

I would say the Barracuda

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Hi Woodman,

thank you for considering a BarraCuda!

Any major manufacturer of hard drives has been working hard over decades to make hard drives faster and more reliable.

The BarraCuda series is designed for regular computing, gaming and backups and although you will always have the issues of a mechanical device eventually - as long as you don't use this type of drive in a 24/7 environment (e.g. in a NAS), you should be good to go.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming