I need help with my Dell S2417DG

I got my monitor a few weeks back, I know it's a TN panel and I knew from the start that the quality wouldn't be as wow as an IPS but this is ridiculous. I have no problem with the panel not being 100% color accurate, but I never saw anything like that on previous TN panels I owned.I would appreciate any help from you guys, this problem only affects videos in general be it streaming or whatever, I haven't noticed something like that happening on any games I played.

Here is the problem -> IMGR Link

My PC specs are:

M/B: Asus ROG Strix Z270E Gaming
GPU: Gigabyte GTX1070 Xtreme
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K
COOLER: NZXT Kraken X62
CASE: Fractal Design Define R5
PSU: Corsair RMx Series 650X
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB
HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB & Western Digital Blue 350TB

What's your issue?

Have you used the on screen color calibration?

Have you used Windows "calibrate display color"?

Color settings according to one of the top rated amazon comments:

Nvidia Control Panel>Adjust desktop color settings:
Brightness-50%
Contrast-50%
Gamma-0.60%
Digital vibrance-70%
Hue-0
CLICK APPLY

DELL Monitor settings:
Brightness-26%
Contrast-75%
Color>Custom Color:
R-97%
G-99%
B-96%

Try using this as a start point then adjust to your liking

1 hour ago, Le Sulfur said:

Color settings according to one of the top rated amazon comments:

Nvidia Control Panel>Adjust desktop color settings:
Brightness-50%
Contrast-50%
Gamma-0.60%
Digital vibrance-70%
Hue-0
CLICK APPLY

DELL Monitor settings:
Brightness-26%
Contrast-75%
Color>Custom Color:
R-97%
G-99%
B-96%

Try using this as a start point then adjust to your liking

Well this kinda made it better but I can still see the boxes where the color changes.

-> Here

1 hour ago, NinJake said:

What's your issue?

Have you used the on screen color calibration?

Have you used Windows "calibrate display color"?

I can see boxes where the color changes in videos. And yes I calibrated the monitor.

Yikes, that doesn't look right at all.  I am really close to buying a new monitor (my new PC arrives in just a few days) but posts and reviews online like this really worry me.  I don't understand why these panels look so underwhelming without tweaks to the settings. 

4 hours ago, FireBlazer said:

Yikes, that doesn't look right at all.  I am really close to buying a new monitor (my new PC arrives in just a few days) but posts and reviews online like this really worry me.  I don't understand why these panels look so underwhelming without tweaks to the settings. 

This panel had good reviews everywhere I looked, that's why I bought it. But this is driving me crazy. And Nvidia is not making it any better, now it won't even save my settings on Nvidia control panel. 

This is Color Banding.

EVERY single Dell S2417dg suffers from this Problem. I have not seen one user, who has zero Color Banding. Either they have it, or they don't notice it (despite it beeing there). You can NOT get Rid of it. No matter what you do. It is simply not possible.

I had this Dell, and was quite satisfied with it (aside from Banding, but the Price made it okay). I also got a 2nd model from Dell, exact same problem (don't know why they send me this unit, since i told them what's going on. They didn't even check it..)

Not only that, every single OTHER Monitor with same specs suffers from this. Also most TN panels, also some IPS panels.  With variations. However, in these TN / 1440p / 144+Hz panels it's mostly visible.

One of the problemsis, Dell has a horrible OSD without any features. You pretty much HAVE to reduce Gamma in drivers to 0.7 to 0.9, in order for colors to not look this "washed out" (then colors are pretty damn nice. Almost no difference to my IPS Dell U2414H). However, this also makes Banding more visible.

I had this one, and i switched over to the Acer XB241YU. It does have the same Panel, a slightly more grainy Coating.

It also does have the same "Color Banding". However, since it does have a native Gamma control in the OSD, you can set the Gamme up to 2.5 or even the highest one "Game". That makes everything more dark (les washed out for a TN), and the Banding will get weaker.

My recommendation: Return the Dell, get the Acer XB241YU, and use the Gamma setting in the OSD. You will not get rid of Banding, but it will get better.

I think... it's "okay", since you get 1440p / 165 Hz / G-Sync for that pretty low Price, and a pretty good Panel (aside from the Color Banding, the rest is very impressive).

If this Banding is completely not tollerable for you, i have bad news: You will have to upgrade to IPS, which only exists in 27" (for example: Acer Predator XB271HUbmiprz).

They will probably be better here. But they will probably cost double the amount

On the other hand, those IPS Panels with 144 Hz do have other sewere problems. They can suffer from noticeable Backlightbleeding, Clouding, stronger than usual Glowing.

Depending on the Brand, you might be more or less lucky. Keep in Mind, there are people, who tried out 5 of those expensive IPS models, and returned all because they had such Quality Problems.

Think about, what disadvantages you want to live with more ^^" But i guess, you have to experience both first. I had such an IPS model here (but the AOC one), returned it the other day. Corners had strong Backlightbleeding, quite concentrated.

i'm more happy with the TN models (since they didn't had this problem, but banding instead (which was only rarely visible). And at a much lower Price.

There WILL be a compromise, no matter what you get. Except you save 2000 bucks for the 4k / 144 Hz one. Which might be better there. Hopefully..

8 hours ago, Darkseth said:

This is Color Banding.

EVERY single Dell S2417dg suffers from this Problem. I have not seen one user, who has zero Color Banding. Either they have it, or they don't notice it (despite it beeing there). You can NOT get Rid of it. No matter what you do. It is simply not possible.

I had this Dell, and was quite satisfied with it (aside from Banding, but the Price made it okay). I also got a 2nd model from Dell, exact same problem (don't know why they send me this unit, since i told them what's going on. They didn't even check it..)

Not only that, every single OTHER Monitor with same specs suffers from this. Also most TN panels, also some IPS panels.  With variations. However, in these TN / 1440p / 144+Hz panels it's mostly visible.

One of the problemsis, Dell has a horrible OSD without any features. You pretty much HAVE to reduce Gamma in drivers to 0.7 to 0.9, in order for colors to not look this "washed out" (then colors are pretty damn nice. Almost no difference to my IPS Dell U2414H). However, this also makes Banding more visible.

I had this one, and i switched over to the Acer XB241YU. It does have the same Panel, a slightly more grainy Coating.

It also does have the same "Color Banding". However, since it does have a native Gamma control in the OSD, you can set the Gamme up to 2.5 or even the highest one "Game". That makes everything more dark (les washed out for a TN), and the Banding will get weaker.

My recommendation: Return the Dell, get the Acer XB241YU, and use the Gamma setting in the OSD. You will not get rid of Banding, but it will get better.

I think... it's "okay", since you get 1440p / 165 Hz / G-Sync for that pretty low Price, and a pretty good Panel (aside from the Color Banding, the rest is very impressive).

If this Banding is completely not tollerable for you, i have bad news: You will have to upgrade to IPS, which only exists in 27" (for example: Acer Predator XB271HUbmiprz).

They will probably be better here. But they will probably cost double the amount

On the other hand, those IPS Panels with 144 Hz do have other sewere problems. They can suffer from noticeable Backlightbleeding, Clouding, stronger than usual Glowing.

Depending on the Brand, you might be more or less lucky. Keep in Mind, there are people, who tried out 5 of those expensive IPS models, and returned all because they had such Quality Problems.

Think about, what disadvantages you want to live with more ^^" But i guess, you have to experience both first. I had such an IPS model here (but the AOC one), returned it the other day. Corners had strong Backlightbleeding, quite concentrated.

i'm more happy with the TN models (since they didn't had this problem, but banding instead (which was only rarely visible). And at a much lower Price.

There WILL be a compromise, no matter what you get. Except you save 2000 bucks for the 4k / 144 Hz one. Which might be better there. Hopefully..

The two monitors I am between are the Dell S2417DG and the XB271HU you mentioned.  The Dell gets better reviews on Amazon by a small margin but I see more reviews about the issue described in this thread on the Dell.  I personally don't know which I am going to go with. :/

forget Amazon reviews. Most are "i got it, i'm satisfied, 5 stars".

If they don't compare them both (btw it's YU not HU. YU = 24", HU = 27"), it's worthless for comparison ^^

If this Banding bothers you with the Dell, take the Acer. There, you can fight it quite well due to a MUCH better OSD.

Edit: I had both, the Dell and Acer^^ Both 24" models.

I've made some pictures back then. Was watching a Minecraft Lets play, and there it was visible, since in caves, it's very dark (banding here occurs mostly on dark shades).

Anyway, here's the Dell S2417DG: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6q6D5x52CTHLTJnY19ZLWJKNGs

Here is the Acer XB241YU (with a more darker Gamma setting in OSD): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6q6D5x52CTHajlGVGlIaE5EMlk

And in comparison, my old 6-bit IPS Panel, Dell U2414H: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6q6D5x52CTHcmZ2cTVUME44c0U

Which also shows tendencies of Banding, however since in very dark areas there are almost no details visible, the Banding is also not visible. So, there isn't really more "information" in the Image.

But i think, the Difference Dell vs. Acer is very noticeable there, and it does look better. ^^

23 hours ago, Darkseth said:

This is Color Banding.

Well since the problem isn't going to get solved, I see no point in going through all the hassle of returning and buying a new one. Since my backup monitor is a 720p. Anyway, I'll just save up money to buy an IPS one as my main and use this one as a secondary, also that Predator model isn't available in my country and it has big frames (not to mention that aggressive gamer look). It is just underwhelming for such a good panel to have such problems. And 400 isn't a low price for a monitor. Anyway I just wish I knew it had that problem before hand.

That is true..

However, it is more underwhelming to spend 700-800 for IPS, and still find problems that bother you :/

I wish you luck with your IPS model, hope that one will have less problems ^^

I recently bought one of these and have similar problems. It's incredibly difficult to get decent colors AND have any kind of reasonable black levels. It's bad. After 2 weeks I cant fix it.