Any mouse suddenly won't work on my laptop

Ok. This has been annoying me for a week or so, suddenly my laptop doesn't recognize mouse movement. The laptop recognizes the mouse in device manager and the mouse itself lights up.

When I first turn on my laptop the mouse works fine, later after a random interval of time or I unplugged then plugged my mouse it lights up but it does not do anything, It will only work again after a restart. plugging another mouse in my laptop yields the same result. I plugged the mouses I use on another PC and they seem to work fine. Other usb devices works as well (keyboards, flash drives, etc.)

The only thing I have done recently that might've caused this that I can think of is that I have been using Taran van hemert's Intercept + autohotkey secondary keyboard programs. I am thinking that the drivers these programs installed is messing with some stuff.

Only think I have tried yet is uninstalled and reinstalled USB controllers. I may try to uninstall those macro programs tomorrow.

Any insight on my situation guys? any suggestions will be appreciated.

2 minutes ago, NoTxtWhileDrive said:

Ok. This has been annoying me for a week or so, suddenly my laptop doesn't recognize mouse movement. The laptop recognizes the mouse in device manager and the mouse itself lights up.

When I first turn on my laptop the mouse works fine, later after a random interval of time or I unplugged then plugged my mouse it lights up but it does not do anything, It will only work again after a restart. plugging another mouse in my laptop yields the same result. I plugged the mouses I use on another PC and they seem to work fine.

The only thing I have done recently that might've caused this that I can think of is that I have been using Taran van hemert's Intercept + autohotkey secondary keyboard programs. I am thinking that the drivers these programs installed is messing with some stuff.

Only think I have tried yet is uninstalled and reinstalled USB controllers. I may try to uninstall those macro programs tomorrow.

Any insight on my situation guys? any suggestions will be appreciated.

Um..... Stupid question, but have you removed Taran van HermitCrab's autohotkey software?

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Um..... Stupid question, but have you removed Taran van HermitCrab's autohotkey software?

That's not really a stupid question haha. but this is a stupid reply:

nope. even after I outed this as a possible causation of my problem I'm still using those programs for productivity reasons.

13 minutes ago, NoTxtWhileDrive said:

That's not really a stupid question haha. but this is a stupid reply:

nope. even after I outed this as a possible causation of my problem I'm still using those programs for productivity reasons.

Copy and backup the software data in ProgramData. Then uninstall. See if that fixes your issue. At least you know yes or no. If yes, then I guess you'll have to live with it. Otherwise, you might have something else.

And why use those programs?

8 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Copy and backup the software data in ProgramData. Then uninstall. See if that fixes your issue. At least you know yes or no. If yes, then I guess you'll have to live with it. Otherwise, you might have something else.

And why use those programs?

Have you seen taran's video on it? (and or its updated video on his personal channel?) The amount of optimization I can do on my workflows is countless.

And also I'll try to do that tomorrow. thanks for the suggestion.

6 hours ago, NoTxtWhileDrive said:

Have you seen taran's video on it? (and or its updated video on his personal channel?) The amount of optimization I can do on my workflows is countless.

And also I'll try to do that tomorrow. thanks for the suggestion.

I haven't seen the video. I try to do the most I can with the least software possible. I don't believe in free software. I'd rather code my own macros to make my work easier.

Update: I have uninstalled Autohotkey but no idea how to uninstall Interception (which I think may be the program behind this). But no mouse still does not work after a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello sir, terribly sorry for the trouble.

I have a shoot first, ask questions later approach to problem solving. I'll EVENTUALLY figure things out, but not without some chaos along the way.

Your problems are almost certainly being cause by Interception.

Here's the thing: Unless you pay for the commercial licence, which is $2,200, your computer is now limited to only 10 of each device type (as shown in your device manager)

I did not know this until a few weeks ago, when I did some digging, after having odd problems of my own, and hearing about problems like yours.

Since then, I've updated the description on that video, with instructions for how to uninstall. It's very easy. You just follow the same steps, but type /uninstall rather than /install. Also, you have to delete keyboard.sys from system 32, first, if it doesn't work because that file is "busy." No, it's not a joke. Don't worry, keyboard.sys is not a normal Windows file -- your keyboard will work fine afterwards.

I'm going to make a follow up video with these instructions.

Again, sorry for the trouble!