Question regarding use of external HDD with a PS4 Slim

Hey everyone!

So there was this one amazing deal at a shop in my country that i could buy a slim for 180 euros. So I bought it but I literally know nothing about the PS4. Bought some games along with it and I'm really enjoying it. Anyway I bought the 500 GB version but i'm thinking to expand my storage using either an internal or external hdd. I searched a while on the internet but I found a lot of conflicting sources, some say it is possible while others say it's impossible.

My question is as followed: Is it possible to install games/apps on an external HDD and play them? I have a PS4 Slim (in case that matters). Also, what would you recommend? Internal or external?

Thank you for taking your time to answer my question(s) :)

6 minutes ago, McPatsy said:

Hey everyone!

So there was this one amazing deal at a shop in my country that i could buy a slim for 180 euros. So I bought it but I literally know nothing about the PS4. Bought some games along with it and I'm really enjoying it. Anyway I bought the 500 GB version but i'm thinking to expand my storage using either an internal or external hdd. I searched a while on the internet but I found a lot of conflicting sources, some say it is possible while others say it's impossible.

My question is as followed: Is it possible to install games/apps on an external HDD and play them? I have a PS4 Slim (in case that matters). Also, what would you recommend? Internal or external?

Thank you for taking your time to answer my question(s) :)

I don't have a PS4, so I cannot directly answer can you install games on an external. Should you? I would almost say no. I'm pretty sure the USB interface would restrict the read/write speeds of the HDD. I would think larger internal storage would be much better than external device, atleast until you've maxxed out the internal capacities of 2.5inch HDD/SSDs. I would say an external would be good for music and pictures, keeping games on the internal.

As the Playstation requests data stored on the HDD while playing, latency from a USB bottleneck will cause stuttering, pausing, freezing, and other issues while you're playing.

39 minutes ago, McPatsy said:

Yes,you can install games on external HDD.You are finding confililcting sources of information because it was not possible to do so until last 2 month or so until they put out a patch.As for what should be better Internal or External I am not really sure about which one would be better.But I would say if you can go with Internal I think that would be better and more hassle free in the long run compared to external.

1 hour ago, AG1233 said:

Yes,you can install games on external HDD.You are finding confililcting sources of information because it was not possible to do so until last 2 month or so until they put out a patch.As for what should be better Internal or External I am not really sure about which one would be better.But I would say if you can go with Internal I think that would be better and more hassle free in the long run compared to external.

Thanks! explains a lot :P