Intel Skylake-X 14, 16, and 18 core parts expected to ship in October

done12many2

It appears that Intel plans to begin shipping the HCC 14, 16, and 18 core parts before the year's end.  

Proposed pre-order and shipping schedules for all Skylake-X parts outlined below.

• 4, 6, 8 and 10-core parts available for pre-order from June 19th
  • 4, 6, 8 and 10-core parts shipping to consumers from June 26th
  • 12-core parts expected to ship in August
  • 14, 16 and 18 core parts expected to ship in October

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11542/intel-announces-x299-skylakex-and-kaby-lakex-time-line-preorders-and-availability

Well at least you have some time to safe some money by then :P

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Simon771 said:

Well at least you have some time to safe some money by then :P

Already done bud.  :D

The 2 month spacing between the 10 to 12 to 14/16/18 kind of sucks as it's a bit more buying an selling on my part if I don't want to wait it out.  

It is really apparent how much Intel was not ready to release the 12, and especially 14 - 18 core parts.

Threadripper should be out around July 27, can't wait to see these chips fight it out in benchmarks.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

8 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

It is really apparent how much Intel was not ready to release the 12, and especially 14 - 18 core parts.

Threadripper should be out around July 27, can't wait to see these chips fight it out in benchmarks.

Intel would win in the 16cv16c battle but loose if you stack up TH against the same priced CPU on the intel side

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Intel would win in the 16cv16c battle but loose if you stack up TH against the same priced CPU on the intel side

No doubt that TR is the value for sure.  Performance is definitely going to be a different thing though.  I'm going to go as far as to say that an overclocked 14c Sklake-X chip will be outperforming an overclocked TR 16c chip, but still cost more.

Just now, done12many2 said:

No doubt that TR is the value for sure.  I'm going to go as far as to say that an overclocked 14c Sklake-X chip will be outperforming an overclocked TR 16c chip, but still cost more.

i have heard of speculations saying we could have threadripper chips starting at $850, if thats true then the value will be crazy good compared to X299

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i have heard of speculations saying we could have threadripper chips starting at $850, if thats true then the value will be crazy good compared to X299

Value remains a concern to me, but it's definitely not my primary concern.  It'll boil down to what side of the fence you stand on with regards to performance or value.

Either way, I just wanted to share the release news.  I think we've all gone full circle on the Intel and AMD thing.  :D

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Threadripper looks like the better platform for people wanting a lot of I/O (assuming rumor pricing is close to reality)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

No doubt that TR is the value for sure.  Performance is definitely going to be a different thing though.  I'm going to go as far as to say that an overclocked 14c Sklake-X chip will be outperforming an overclocked TR 16c chip, but still cost more.

IPC is around the same as on desktop skylake. And if 10 core CPU can be clocked at 5GHz on AIO ... 14c should be working at 4,7GHz at least.

14c Skylake-X will be better than 16c Threadripper.

And I think even 12c skylake-X will come close to it.

Next few months will be fun to look at Cinebench score on this forum.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

IPC is around the same as on desktop skylake. And if 10 core CPU can be clocked at 5GHz on AIO ... 14c should be working at 4,7GHz at least.

Yeah, the LTT Cinebench thread is going to come to life when these platforms drop.  Fun times!

Hype

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

18 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

The Xeons that are being re-purposed are clocked a lot lower. It's probably safe to assume that a delided & OC'd 10c X299 will trade with TR @ 16c.  But without the clocks, there's a whole lot of big "Ifs" involved.  We straight-up will not know until we get deep testing.  We don't know what Zen cores can do with Quad-channel memory bandwidth.

It's going to be fun to watch, that's for sure.

Just now, done12many2 said:

Is anyone else getting Skylake-X or Threadripper?

*Raises hand*

Planning to get a nice 7820X for myself

To recap my point: we have a good handle on the IPC of both platforms (with SK-X having an uplift to around Kaby Lake, but it's going to depend on the load).  But we currently don't know any of the clocks for any CPU beyond the 10c i7-7900X.  And Threadripper @ 3.5 Ghz against an 18c i9-7980XE at, say, 2.7 Ghz is a very different calculation.

11 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

To recap my point: we have a good handle on the IPC of both platforms (with SK-X having an uplift to around Kaby Lake, but it's going to depend on the load).  But we currently don't know any of the clocks for any CPU beyond the 10c i7-7900X.  And Threadripper @ 3.5 Ghz against an 18c i9-7980XE at, say, 2.7 Ghz is a very different calculation.

Another cool thing about Skylake-X is that you will be able to manipulate those "best cores" multipliers individually for use with Boost 3.0.  Doing so can substantially improve the already great single-threaded performance while maintaining a stock like TDP when all cores kick in.   Great gaming, but ready to do work when necessary.  There's nothing wrong with having the best of single and multi-threaded worlds.  Admittedly it's at a cost.  Literally. 

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Is anyone else getting Skylake-X or Threadripper?

I'm not on an upgrade cycle this year, which has made chatting about CPUs again so fun. :)  Next year, though.  We'll see.

As for the competition, the power of the Zen Package approach is that the Clocks don't have to fall as you add more.  So that Wafer Process cap that Ryzen runs into simply isn't the issue as the package count increases. (Which makes sense, the Consumer side of things are pretty much cut-down Server chips.)

We also have the issue with the 18c SK-X possibly running into socket energy draw limitations. Unless it's vastly more power efficient, if it's running around the 7700k baseclock (when OC'd), you're looking at well into the 400w range for the CPU alone.  

37 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Threadripper uses two Ryzen 7 dies. It's got the same IPC as Ryzen, so, when you compare it to Skylake-E or Kaby-E or whatever, which has the same IPC as Skylake, then I wouldn't be going out on a limb to say 16C TR will match or slightly lag behind 16C Kaby.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

We also have the issue with the 18c SK-X possibly running into socket energy draw limitations. Unless it's vastly more power efficient, if it's running around the 7700k baseclock (when OC'd), you're looking at well into the 400w range for the CPU alone.  

A 5960x at 4.4 GHz or greater can pull over 400w through a single 8-pin as stands now depending on the severity of load.  Many of the newer x299 boards are going to run dual 8-pin EPS cables and I think the socket is going to be just fine.  

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Threadripper uses two Ryzen 7 dies. It's got the same IPC as Ryzen, so, when you compare it to Skylake-E or Kaby-E or whatever, which has the same IPC as Skylake, then I wouldn't be going out on a limb to say 16C TR will match or slightly lag behind 16C Kaby.

Please note in the quote that you used that I said overclocked.  As it stands right now, an overlcocked 5960x can easily outperform an overclocked Ryen chip in single and multi-threading.  Add additional IPC, more cores and improved or matched OC headroom and my statement makes sense.  

29 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Given the rushed nature of this processor family I'm expecting performance and temps to not scale so linearly. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

5 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

The 16 Core i9 will definitely be better than the Threadripper, but it will also cost more. But of course, we already know that Ryzen is better value but Intel has better performance :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Please note in the quote that you used that I said overclocked.  As it stands right now, an overlcocked 5960x can easily outperform an overclocked Ryen chip in single and multi-threading.  Add additional IPC, more cores and improved or matched OC headroom and my statement makes sense.  

Well, we don't know how well Threadripper will overclock, so the argument can go both ways :P

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

The 16 Core i9 will definitely be better than the Threadripper, but it will also cost more. But of course, we already know that Ryzen is better value but Intel has better performance :D

As always, AMD's the value king xD

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

A 5960x at 4.4 GHz or greater can pull over 400w through a single 8-pin as stands now depending on the severity of load.  Many of the newer x299 boards are going to run dual 8-pin EPS cables and I think the socket is going to be just fine.  

Looking like you can get a good 1500w PSU for around $350 USD.

Because I'm not on an upgrading cycle this year, thus not trying to sort out a buying decision, I can wait for the hilarious articles that are sure to follow.  Someone's $5000 rig (with the 7980XE) doesn't play games as well as the 7600k, but they'll love to show it off as the "ultimate gaming setup!".  Unless RX Vega's driver system can spread over 18c.