You Now Own your Consoles, 7 to 1 in Lexmark vs Impression Products

H0R53

Neat, now GeoHot won't be sued when he jailbreaks the PS5.

The amount of sarcasm in this video is amazing.

Impression Products, Inc. v. Lexmark International, Inc., 581 U.S. (2017), is a decision of the Supreme Court of the United States on the exhaustion doctrine in patent law in which the Court held that after the sale of a patented item, the patent holder cannot sue for patent infringement relating to further use of that item, even when in violation of a contract with a customer or imported from outside the United States. The case concerned a patent infringement lawsuit brought by Lexmark against Impression Products, Inc., which bought used ink cartridges, refilled them, replaced a microchip on the cartridge to circumvent a digital rights management scheme, and then resold them. Lexmark argued that as they own several patents related to the ink cartridges, Impression Products was violating their patent rights. The U.S. Supreme Court, reversing a 2016 decision of the Federal Circuit, held that the exhaustion doctrine prevented Lexmark's patent infringement lawsuit, although Lexmark could enforce restrictions on use or resale of its contracts with direct purchasers under regular contract law (but not as a patent infringement lawsuit). Besides printer and ink manufacturers, the decision of the case could affect the markets of high tech consumer goods and prescription drugs.

(Wikipedia)

This applies to pretty much everything.

Please fix your post to better align with the rules for this section before the mods catch you. ;)

-KuJoe

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Can I say it?

SONY and Microsoft just got owned!

Or, did they become un-owned???

Cause, you know, they don't have ownership anymore. Haha?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Love it, really good news. How does this affect digital content? I assume it won't have anything to do with it, but who knows.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Just now, Rangaman42 said:

Love it, really good news. How does this affect digital content? I assume it won't have anything to do with it, but who knows.

No direct effect, but hopefully this will be the first of many onto the road of owning software.

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

6 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

Or, did they become un-owned???

Cause, you know, they don't have ownership anymore. Haha?

Hmmm, if they had ownership... is that ship that owned them left without any possession? /cringe

Just now, bob51zhang said:

No direct effect, but hopefully this will be the first of many onto the road of owning software.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping. Reminds me a little of the whole legalised cannabis thing, legalising the pharmaceutical extracts opens up the path.

Wouldn't it be nice to own everything you purchased?

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Hmmm, if they had ownership... is that ship that owned them left without any possession?

Image result for mindblown.gif

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

lookie here, the US did something good.

Now we just need then to reverse the ISP data mining ruling and we will live in a better world. But we all know that won't happen with the politicians being paid out.

That's literally the top comment on YouTube

Precedent has already been set on copyright and IP with regard to consoles. 

http://www.dailytech.com/Nintendo+Wins+Lawsuit+Against+DS+Emulation+/article14447.htm

Whilst it's not exactly the same, it is closer to modifying or infringing console IP than the lexmark case is.   

Also the lexmark case is a bit strange in that the judges inadvertently ruled that third party ink companies can manufacture/sell chips that contain IP registered to lexmark.  Essentially this would be the same as Samsung making and selling a x86/64 processor and selling it without license from Intel/amd.  Not sure how that got through.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Now we wait for a more aggressive version of Nintendo's 3DS mass ban.

So, does this now mean it's legal to crack Denuvo? If it's part of a game that's sold, then don't I own the rights to my content?

Uhm, that video is nearly 2 weeks old and this topic was already posted here...

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

18 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

With digital content it make sense you want to license it. other wise 1 person can buy a copy and distribute it for free legally.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

6 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

You may not have noticed, but nobody cares.

The mods do, reposts are locked under this sub forums posting guidelines (which you've clearly not read).

Repost: 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

52 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The mods do, reposts are locked under this sub forums posting guidelines (which you've clearly not read).

Repost: 

Do you expect me to filter through 2 weeks worth of posts just to find whether or not someone had already posted this? No. Now move on.

If the moderators cared they'd have already removed it.

4 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

Do you expect me to filter through 2 weeks worth of posts just to find whether or not someone had already posted this? No. Now move on.

You are expected to use the search function to see if it has been posted before.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

7 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

locked.

We're not omnipresent Gods, it does happen that we miss topics or replies until they get reported.

Original thread;

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !