Being Able to Delete Things In Threads

Guest lilbman

I feel that the poster of the question should be able to delete posts on their threads that have nothing to do with the questions.  Lately, I have seen questions that are asking about strictly Intel processors and the OP clearly stated that he did not want an AMD processor, yet people still talked about Ryzen in that thread instead of answering the question at hand.

Another scenario that I recently came across was someone asking about which GTX 1060 6Gb would be the best for their use case, and people still were talking about RX 480/580s on that thread.  People also get into a heated debate and get way off track of the topic at hand and it fills the thread up with useless banter.  Some may see this option as a way of censoring those they disagree with, but I feel that this tool could be a way to solve the issue of people things on threads that do not answer the question.

If the OP has that much of a problem with the off-topic post(s) on their thread they can just report the post and a moderator will deal with it If they see it fit to do so.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

There is a report button below each post that you can use.

A moderator will decide if they want to remove it or not.

No, users will NEVER be allowed to delete posts made by other users, so you can completely forget about that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Sometimes, these off-topic things are good.

I've seen threads where someone wanted a 7600K, and despite the original post not saying anything about recommending a CPU (implying that the OP had already decided on a 7600K), people recommended a 1600, and OP switched, which is IMO (and most people agree with me) the better CPU.

Same with threads about which 1060 6GB to get. before the RX GPU shortage, people recommended the usually cheaper RX 480, which was also the same/better performance, and the OP often switched.

if an OP writes something in the original post that says something like "I am aware of the presence of the RX580, and despite it's advantages, have decided to get a 1060 6GB, please don't recommend an AMD card to me" then there will be none/very little posts talking about OP getting an RX580.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

if an OP writes something in the original post that says something like "I am aware of the presence of the RX580, and despite it's advantages, have decided to get a 1060 6GB, please don't recommend an AMD card to me" then there will be none/very little posts talking about OP getting an RX580.

Then explain this thread-even though he said 'don't recommend AMD' people still tried to bug him to get Ryzen.  

2 hours ago, lilbman said:

Then explain this thread-even though he said 'don't recommend AMD' people still tried to bug him to get Ryzen.  

Because Ryzen is simply better value. OP can ask for advice, he can then chose to take it or ignore it as they please. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, rn8686 said:

Because Ryzen is simply better value. OP can ask for advice, he can then chose to take it or ignore it as they please. 

The point is that he didn't ask for advice on AMD CPUs, but people posted it anyway.  Instead of answering the question, which was about Intel CPUs, they commented about what he specifically did not want to hear about, which was AMD CPUs.  That's like me asking you for advice on what car to buy that is not a Honda, and then you recommending I get a Honda.

I understand people just want to help him, but they need to answer the damn question.

1 minute ago, lilbman said:

The point is that he didn't ask for advice on AMD CPUs, but people posted it anyway.  Instead of answering the question, which was about Intel CPUs, they commented about what he specifically did not want to hear about, which was AMD CPUs.  That's like me asking you for advice on what car to buy that is not a Honda, and then you recommending I get a Honda.

I understand people just want to help him, but they need to answer the damn question.

Then he may go with his 6 core Intel CPU, he was just hold he was going to get better value if Ryzen (Again, his choice to heed or disregard the advice given).  

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

Peripherals 

3 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

Then he may go with his 6 core Intel CPU, he was just hold he was going to get better value if Ryzen (Again, his choice to heed or disregard the advice given).  

The point is that he specifically did not ask for suggestions for AMD.  People deliberately did not answer the question-that is the point of this!  He specifically asked for no AMD CPUs, and I'm sure the Ryzen people read that, but they deliberately did not listen and instead suggested what he specifically said he did not want.

This kind of crap of not answering questions fills threads with useless comments that I'm sure aggravate the OP.

19 minutes ago, lilbman said:

The point is that he specifically did not ask for suggestions for AMD.  People deliberately did not answer the question-that is the point of this!  He specifically asked for no AMD CPUs, and I'm sure the Ryzen people read that, but they deliberately did not listen and instead suggested what he specifically said he did not want.

This kind of crap of not answering questions fills threads with useless comments that I'm sure aggravate the OP.

That's how life works.  You ask for advice, you're gonna get some that isn't what you want to hear.  Learn to deal with it and move on.

Essentially if you ask about best Intel CPU for the job and others start to argue which AMD would be best, thats derail of thread. Report and let moderation handle it. I do this all the time on air cooling.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, lilbman said:

So OP would rather have an echo chamber of people agree with him despite the fact that they may be wrong? Once again, they can ask for advice and we will say what we believe is best for them, they can heed or ignore it as they please. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

Peripherals 

4 hours ago, rn8686 said:

So OP would rather have an echo chamber of people agree with him despite the fact that they may be wrong? Once again, they can ask for advice and we will say what we believe is best for them, they can heed or ignore it as they please. 

I wouldn't say giving options is bad. And mods have final say whether its derail or OT or not.

If we continue using this CPU example. If OP asks about which Intel is best for them and someone would just reply "Intel bad, get this AMD", that would be spamming as they don't give anything than just plain, unrelated opinion. If reply would be more about why said CPU fits better, I don't see issue.

However, if OP still wants Intel and others just keep giving AMD options, then it's derail and frankly spamming too.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

the issue with giving an OP this power, is that they can "censor" their thread in a way, and in some cases that can result in an OP just deleting posts that disagree with him. this is an issue not only in "recommend me components" threads, but has to be seen forum-wide, including news, vareous topics of debate, and people coming forth with an idea that's just so stupid people need to slam them down (for example doing the two gamers thing to save money)

we've already got enough people editing their own OP to remove all info the moment they got their answer, we dont need people wiping threads as well.

15 hours ago, lilbman said:

Lately, I have seen questions that are asking about strictly Intel processors and the OP clearly stated that he did not want an AMD processor, yet people still talked about Ryzen in that thread instead of answering the question at hand.

I think that this would not be a good idea... Most people come here for advice and if the advice is that "AMD is better for your usage" (For example, the 7600K is very bad vs the 1600) they should accept it

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

49 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I think that this would not be a good idea... Most people come here for advice and if the advice is that "AMD is better for your usage" (For example, the 7600K is very bad vs the 1600) they should accept it

forums are there to give you the answer you need, if you want someone to give you the answer you want you need to talk to a salesman. if more people would realise that, this thread wouldnt be necessary :P

Part of the problem with giving users that kind of power is they can silence people they don't like or anyone who disagrees with them, which is not the community we are trying to foster here. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

People would abuse this system very fast. I remember I got into an arguement with some guy when someone asked if his RX 470 would run Overwatch and someone said "i don't know anything about AMD so get rid of that card and get a GTX 1060 instead" and I got really annoyed. I kinda flipped my shit on him, lol

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

3 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Part of the problem with giving users that kind of power is they can silence people they don't like or anyone who disagrees with them, which is not the community we are trying to foster here. 

54 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

People would abuse this system very fast. I remember I got into an arguement with some guy when someone asked if his RX 470 would run Overwatch and someone said "i don't know anything about AMD so get rid of that card and get a GTX 1060 instead" and I got really annoyed. I kinda flipped my shit on him, lol

That's true.  I guess that people aren't as ethical as I thought.