Editing Workstation Upgrade

Linus, which 10Gbe NIC did you use? :-)

Also, what are you using the Thunderbolt 3 card for exactly? Just local footage ingest or local external storage devices? 

What's happening to the old workstations now that they've been phased out? Will there be some kind of giveaway?

All the people asking what video card, case, etc. they used, there is a parts list at the top of the thread (just below the video) that lists pretty much everything.

6 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Thanks to Intel for sponsoring this video! Buy Core i7 processors on Newegg at http://geni.us/6Up7Mj

We decided that our editing workstations were in dire need of an upgrade, and our friends at Intel REALLY hooked us up...

Buy Corsair ML Fans on Amazon: http://geni.us/Q1fUy0z

Buy Corsair H100i V2 on Amazon: http://geni.us/AGBO

Buy Corsair HX850i on Amazon: http://geni.us/NT9I

Buy ASUS X99 on Amazon: http://geni.us/TN9VRf

Buy Corsair Vengeance RAM on Amazon: http://geni.us/kot9

Buy Corsair 460X on Amazon: http://geni.us/45tM1SA

Buy Titan X on Amazon: http://geni.us/COxwAO

Just pointing out... The hardware list here seems to be wrong.. (review the video)
The fans are shown to be HD120 Corsairs (RGB) not ML120's, listed here and the Motherboard is an X99 AII Series, Not just a plain X99..  also you didn't specify how much RAM was installed, and what Hard Drive's Brand/Capacity?  For anyone who wants to know - SSD or NVME?  What NIC Card Brand and Type?, What Thunderbolt card etc?,  The fact that it is an Intel 6950X CPU isn't listed here, and is the Case a 460X or 570X?.  Details do matter.   Easy on the Vodka shots.

Thanks.

6 hours ago, JJB said:

Why didn't he mention the other hardware in the system other than sponsored stuff? I mean I know it's sponsored but I want to know what drives and GPU they're using

Because he's not getting money for those parts, so why should he care about them?

As a person in need of a desperate upgrade because of a "broken" GTX970, this video is just juicy. And torturous. Mostly juicy. (:

Can I fit a (width: 272mm and lenght 305mm) motherboard in that beautiful case? On official "Corsair" page it says, tha maximum 272mm for a motherboard but what about lenght?

Stupid Question. You connected fans to motherboard using somesort of fans spliters or did you use FAN hub that connects to PSU? byt then you cant control fan speed?

I can see RGB hub, but hub only controls light not actual fan

13 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Also at 2:15 a wild Linus appears.

Linus is always wild.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

Really interested in what model thunderbolt expansion card was used, I'm looking to buy one for myself.

I like that cheeky guy.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

3 hours ago, King_of_Oz said:

Linus is always wild.

Congratulations for the rare quadruple post xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

How did you get your Red cameras working with your RGB? I thought they had this annoying habit of only working with proprietary *red* accessories ;)

Them having the same editing stations for three years just proves that you don't need to have the latest and greatest stuff on your computer, but yea it was time for them to get an upgrade after that new server room.

17 hours ago, linnoff said:

All the people asking what video card, case, etc. they used, there is a parts list at the top of the thread (just below the video) that lists pretty much everything.

It was added later. It was not there when we posted. :dry:

35 minutes ago, XHAD said:

Them having the same editing stations for three years just proves that you don't need to have the latest and greatest stuff on your computer, but yea it was time for them to get an upgrade after that new server room.

Agree, it's surprising how little is needed to do some serious work, all this money sucking extra fluff is a need for entertainment mostly. 

4 hours ago, Simon771 said:

I like that cheeky guy.

I thought there was nothing worse than homoerotic jokes coming from nerdy types, but maybe it was so bad, it was good.

17 hours ago, LucidMew said:

Lol that disclaimer at 2:21

Somebody's lawyers are happy that's in there.

Gotta appease the sponsors in some ways. If we push to say words like "penis" in a sponsored video, we have to give a bit of room when their legal team wants an overly aggressive disclaimer in the video lol.

9 hours ago, polyx95 said:

Why extreme i7 and not some high core count xeon? So why not some crazy 24 core E7 xeons? 

This was directly answered in the video by referencing this video.

1 hour ago, XHAD said:

To be fair, we still don't even have the "latest and greatest" stuff even now since Threadripper and X299 are right around the corner. But yes you're entirely correct - the latest shiniest thing isn't always the best tool for the job.

21 hours ago, Arty said:

No Virtualization yet for the Editors? , Maybe next upgrade cycle? 

Why would they use virtualization? For what purpose?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

love how at the 8 min 30 second mark there is a box for a folding step stool in the corner.

Wonder who that could be for. 

Jokes aside what's your opinion of the v2 corsair H100is compared to the v1?  Thinking of doing an upgrade as i am not overly impressed with my H110i on my 5820k.

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Why would they use virtualization? For what purpose?

a 7 gamers 1 (2*) cpu sort of setup, but instead of it being 7 gamers, 7 editors.

I would guess there's to many bugs for their setup atm.  

My old HS's plan, next upgrade cycle is to go to centralized server for the engineering computers with thin clients.

The library computers are already using this.  

Plus Intel sponsored, (assuming their sponsorship allowed for it) they could have gone all out , and have produced and multi episode series on this @LinusTech

Edit:

saw @nicklmg's comment

Spoiler

This was directly answered in the video by referencing this video.

Maybe Next Gen Cpu's with higher clocks will be more efficient? (Or more realistic next upgrade cycle 5 years from now?)

I would be interested to see if using more lower core count higher clocked, in a multi socket board, instead of just 1 ballin cpu, would be a better solution.

so essentially 4 of these https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/xeon/e7-processors/e7-8893-v2.html

vs 1 of these https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/xeon/e7-processors/e7-8890-v4.html

or somethings in between.