First major Google Fiber expansion announced, several more planned.

megadarkwood

I hope Google Fiber comes to Canada soon.

Google isn't going far for the first major expansion of its Kansas City 1Gbps internet pilot project. Olathe, Kansas is only about 25 miles away, with a modest population of about 128,000. But while it will only be the third city to get the Google Fiber treatment (the first not named Kansas City), it sets an important precedent: Google is serious about expanding their service.

THIS IS HOPEFULLY THE FIRST OF SEVERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Olathe city council approved Google’s proposal to provide internet and TV service in the area on Tuesday, but details about the actual timeframe for rolling it out are still up in the air. According to a post on the Google Fiber blog, this is hopefully the first of several announcements that the company will make about bringing the service to other cities "in the KC metro area."

Google Fiber customers pay $120 a month for gigabit internet and pay TV service or $70 a month for standalone internet, and the city of Olathe will collect five percent of Google’s gross receipts within its borders. But even though Google is expanding into new markets, that doesn't mean it's finished in Kansas City — fiber service went live on the Kansas side of the metropolitan area last year, but the Missouri side won’t see service start until later this spring.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Yeah. I'm doubting they'll come to

Canada anytime soon; the population density is just too low.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

Google come to Colorado please.....we need you (your fiber) to get your ass over here...we're getting raped over here by Comcast.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

If they wanted to come to canada they would have to get CRTC to sign off on it, and they would mostly try to start in the GTA and the people from Bell and Rogers would complain so much about them sealing some of their market share.

Chicago is next....hopefully :)

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

Cannot wait for the day till I can get this...one day when I'm too old for the need of fast internet anymore, lol :P

AMD Radeon R9 290X / AMD FX-8320 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Samsung 830 128GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB / Corsair HX 850W / BitFenix Shinobi XL / CPU & GPU Watercooled - Thick Triple 360 Rad

Coming to Australia in 2092!

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

San Diego please :D

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

Come to California, most of California already has Fiber laid out in the streets! We just need the hook up!

MUST LIVE TO AGE 100!

| NZXT Phantom | i5-2500k @4Ghz | H60 | EVGA GTX 680 Sig2 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance | 

We've got NBN coming in a couple years. Tazzy already has it!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Come to California, most of California already has Fiber laid out in the streets! We just need the hook up!
THIS! I can't afford to get Fios 300 Mbps for like $200 a month.

I guess I'll have to settle with my measly 75/35 plan for now *First World Problems*

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

There were people laying Fiber near my street a few months ago. 79 years to plug the bloody cables in is record speed!

Oh I remember when they started laying fiber here in Denmark. Even though I could see the end of the fiber sticking up at the side of the pavement, next to my house. It still took like one year before it got active, and another year before the price wasn't silly high. It was a long wait. :(

they've not even started it here yet.

we won't be getting it started till December, were still on analog TV!'

+5 interwebs if you guess the state/territory!

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

I heard they were starting up in Toronto or something?

CPU: Intel i5 4670k @ 4.4Ghz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Black | GPU: Asus Strix 1080 Ti | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | Storage: 2x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | PSU: Seasonic 80+ Platinum 1000W | Display: ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q Cooling: Corsair H100i GT | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Red | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Audio: Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium with O2 DAC/AMP

I seriously doubt that they will move into Canada.... The main reason being that most people are spread apart because of the low population density. They wouldn't make nearly as much money in Toronto as they would if they set up in NYC or other really dense cities and metropolitan areas. Maybe it will one day! Who knows?

Current Rig:

i7 4770k   ||    Z87 Sabertooth   ||   16gb Gskill Ripjaws X @ 1600   ||   MSI GTX 780 Gaming   ||   Fractal Design Define R4 Window (Black Pearl)   ||   Intel 530 120gb   ||   Seagate Barracuda 1TB   ||   Corsair RM850   ||   Corsair H100i 

This is some awesome news! I know it's not a big expansion, but heck! everything starts small and grows big one day. For the Canada thingy, I wish they would come, but as mentioned I doubt they will. However, I'm already seeing influence from our american neighbors. Videotron (my ISP) will start to offer unlimited download and upload for 10$ more! Screw you capped internet! :)

I hope we see more stuff like that as time goes by.

Lucky! I have to settle for 20Mb down, 2Mb up for $100...

THIS IS A FIRST WORLD PROBLEM :O

Unless things have changes since this past summer, it's a politics thing in California (and other states), not the lack of desire to do it there.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

I live in kc and i am 3 blocks out of their service area FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU