Can a 3 pin fan be plugged into a 4 pin fan hub then controlled

F g
Go to solution Solved by Ithanul,
3 hours ago, F g said:

do you control it with speed fan, or in the bios.

I use the BIOS for control since it just a dumb hub that passes everything to the motherboard.

If I plug a 3 pin fan into a 4 pin in a fan hub. Then plug the fan hub into my motherboard will I be able to control.it.

Just now, F g said:

If I plug a 3 pin fan into a 4 pin in a fan hub. Then plug the fan hub into my motherboard will I be able to control.it.

Yes, via voltage, 4 pins should be compatibly with 3 pin. 

Yours faithfully

you should be able to

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

Yep, I run some 3 pins off my 4 pin fan hub.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

The thread was moved to the Air Cooling section

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Yes you wont have as fine of control but it will work. 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

9 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

The thread was moved to the Air Cooling section

I'm sorry I posted here. I just wanted more people to read it 

2 hours ago, F g said:

As other said it will work but what fan hub are we talking about as there are some that take external power and will force 3 pin fans to run full speed regardless. 

3 hours ago, W-L said:

As other said it will work but what fan hub are we talking about as there are some that take external power and will force 3 pin fans to run full speed regardless. 

maybe some thing like this https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999309&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA-PC-_-pla-_-Accessories+-+Case+%2F+Rackmount-_-N82E16811999309&gclid=CjwKEAjw9_jJBRCXycSarr3csWcSJABthk07mbkoAg7nXaedEU_zSVzF20ru7EHsA1gV31NX3L1aMBoC6fbw_wcB

5 hours ago, Ithanul said:

what fan hub do you have sir

12 minutes ago, F g said:

That kind of fan hub as said takes external power it will force the 3 pin fans to run full speed since it provides 12V. You will want to look at splitters like these which directly draw power from the motherboard header, just note that you will not want to exceed 3-4 fans as a rule of thumb to not overload the fan header. 

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Sleeved-Splitter-CPF01/dp/B00HJOJS9O/ref=pd_sim_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00B46XKKQ&pd_rd_r=42VBBC0G778AVB7SETBY&pd_rd_w=wOcO6&pd_rd_wg=WQM7T&refRID=42VBBC0G778AVB7SETBY&th=1

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

That kind of fan hub as said takes external power it will force the 3 pin fans to run full speed since it provides 12V. You will want to look at splitters like these which directly draw power from the motherboard header, just note that you will not want to exceed 3-4 fans as a rule of thumb to not overload the fan header. 

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Sleeved-Splitter-CPF01/dp/B00HJOJS9O/ref=pd_sim_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00B46XKKQ&pd_rd_r=42VBBC0G778AVB7SETBY&pd_rd_w=wOcO6&pd_rd_wg=WQM7T&refRID=42VBBC0G778AVB7SETBY&th=1

Lets say i plug my 3 pin fans to the motherboard directly. I wouldn't be able to control them right? But if i get the splitter, i should be able to control them?

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

Also whats a "DC" fan mode? 

the motherboard im planning to get https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130978&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA-PC-_-pla-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-N82E16813130978&gclid=CjwKEAjw9_jJBRCXycSarr3csWcSJABthk07MtqaeVVvhs1SD-hbzAFnkMJqvGzJ2gdhxH8je_FcTBoCluTw_wcB

says it can control fans that are running in dc mode.

Just now, F g said:

It's the method of controlling fan speed for 3 pin fans, you are able to configure this within the BIOS if the header is capable of both (PWM or DC voltage control). Some headers are only DC voltage capable and will be noted within the motherboard manual. 

7 minutes ago, F g said:

lets say i get a 3 pin fan and plug it into that, would i be able to control the 3 pin fan?

If you use software like speedfan then 100% yes. Your mobo bios may have fan control software built in that can also control it.

2 minutes ago, waffleman198 said:

If you use software like speedfan then 100% yes. Your mobo bios may have fan control software built in that can also control it.

you used it like that before? just asking so i don't waste like 20$ on a fan hub

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

It's the method of controlling fan speed for 3 pin fans, you are able to configure this within the BIOS if the header is capable of both (PWM or DC voltage control). Some headers are only DC voltage capable and will be noted within the motherboard manual. 

ok thank you :) RAWR XDD

3 minutes ago, F g said:

you used it like that before? just asking so i don't waste like 20$ on a fan hub

It's great to have. My mobo doesn't allow me to reduce fan speed to 5% but speedfan overrides that and I have very quiet fans running at 5%. Jayztwocents has a speedfan "fan controller" tutorial on youtube. 

3 minutes ago, waffleman198 said:

It's great to have. My mobo doesn't allow me to reduce fan speed to 5% but speedfan overrides that and I have very quiet fans running at 5%. Jayztwocents has a speedfan "fan controller" tutorial on youtube. 

ok ttthank you!

8 hours ago, Ithanul said:

do you control it with speed fan, or in the bios.

2 hours ago, waffleman198 said:

you have 3 pin fans connected to it right