Is there a way to directly copy files from 1 device to another?

Phazed
Go to solution Solved by nismoklutchkicker,

You could set up a windows homegroup. That would be the easiest way (depending on the operating system you are using). If you are going from windows to Linux (or vise versa) a samba share would be the easiest thing to use. 

Is there any good way to directly copy files from my laptop to my computer? i know i could just use a USB, but is there any way to just directly copy the files over without goijng through a NAS or USB?

You could set up a windows homegroup. That would be the easiest way (depending on the operating system you are using). If you are going from windows to Linux (or vise versa) a samba share would be the easiest thing to use. 

If both computers (devices) have network cards capable of 1000 mbps , then you can simply connect a network cable between the devices.

Normally, you'd have to use a special cable called 'crossover network cable' but modern network cards are smart enough to detect you used just a regular network cable and will automatically correct and make everything work.

Now, all you have to do is give each device a unique IP and putt hem in the same network.  For example, give one computer the IP 192.168.0.1 and the other 192.168.0.2 and use subnet mask 255.255.255.0 on both computers  ( you enter these in control panel > network and sharing center  > local area connection  (properties) > Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP v4) (properties)  .. check "use the following.." and enter the numbers manually

Once you do this on both computers, you can simply right click on a folder and SHARE it and when you go on the other computer and click on network neighborhood, the folder should show up there and you can copy files simply by dragging them over