The new iPAD Pro

NumLock21

At WWDC17 Apple has revealed their new iPAD Pro!

• 10.5" display with 120Hz refresh rate
  • Perfect size for a almost full size keyboard
  • Apple 10X Fusion hexa-core processor, with 3 high performance + 3 high efficient processors, working together by the Apple controller
  • 12 GPU processing units
  • 600 nits brightness
  • HDR Videos
  • True Tone Display
  • 30% faster processing performance compare to previous Apple A9x
  • 40% faster graphic processing performance
  • 500x faster than the original iPAD!!!
  • $649 USD for 64GB for wifi, $779 USD for wifi+cellular
  • 256GB goes for $749 and 512GB for $949 with WiFi only.

Their 12.9" iPAD Pro get a update to the same specs as the new 10.5" iPAD Pro. It's $799 USD for 64GB wifi or $929 USD for wifi+cellular

$899 for 256GB and $1099 for 512GB with WiFi only.

No info on price yet on the other storage options for the wifi+cellular models

ipad-pro-family-black.jpg.ee5354d9298cf0f9f1f489bbc1bff100.jpg

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/06/ipad-pro-10-5-and-12-9-inch-models-introduces-worlds-most-advanced-display-breakthrough-performance/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

7 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

10.5" display with 120Hz refresh rate

Hmm... would it make games like Asphalt 8 look smoother? 

7 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Their 12.9" iPAD Pro get a update to the same specs as the new 10.5" iPAD Pro. It's $799 USD for 64GB wifi or $929 USD for wifi+cellular

I accidentally dropped my iPad Air on a rough, concrete road (but it's still working) so I might get the 10.5" 256GB GB wifi only iPad Pro. I know PCMR cultists would say "why don't you just get a touchscreen Windows tablet?" My answer would be, Windows 10 isn't a very good tablet experience. Windows 10 is a desktop OS first trying to be a tablet, iOS is a blown up smartphone OS that has an experience optimized for tablet use. Besides, how many apps are there on the Windows Store in comparison to the Apple App Store?

Edited by hey_yo_
there's no 128GB model of the 10.5" iPad Pro, only 64, 256, and 512 GB.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

That 120 hz display has been something I wanted Apple to do for the longest time... 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I accidentally dropped my iPad Air on a rough, concrete road (but it's still working) so I might get the 10.5 128 GB wifi only iPad Pro. I know PCMR cultists would say "why don't you just get a touchscreen Windows tablet?" My answer would be, Windows 10 isn't a very good tablet experience. Windows 10 is a desktop OS first trying to be a tablet, iOS is a blown up smartphone OS that has an experience optimized for tablet use. Just saying.

Oh god I agree so much, I don't use any tablet myself, but unless we're talking about the surface, windows tablets in general are god awful and usually should never be suggested to someone wanting an actual tablet experience.

8 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I accidentally dropped my iPad Air on a rough, concrete road (but it's still working) so I might get the 10.5" 128 GB wifi only iPad Pro. I know PCMR cultists would say "why don't you just get a touchscreen Windows tablet?" My answer would be, Windows 10 isn't a very good tablet experience. Windows 10 is a desktop OS first trying to be a tablet, iOS is a blown up smartphone OS that has an experience optimized for tablet use. Just saying.

Windows is a truly awful tablet experience.

Unsure if I'll get a new iPad Pro - I had the 12.9"  but sold it after like a week, it was just too big to be able to comfortably use. But my iPad 4 is starting to die - not sure if I should go for the pro or stick with the entry level 9.7".

I bought my iPad Pro with 256gig ram about 8 or 9 months ago and I love the thing.  It will do anything I want it to do and I have about 50 movies on it that I can access and watch no matter where I go and with bluetooth earphones I don't have to worry about making too much noise.

Yea, so I am an apple person when it comes to my iPad but I'm still a PC person with my windows.  So for me, I got to have both and I like it that way.

7 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Windows 10 isn't a very good tablet experience.

I disagree. On small tablets, it's pretty fucking bad, but once you enter the screen sizes of the iPad Pro, iOS and Android are worse experiences, regardless of using 'traditional' win32 apps or UWP. I'll take an entry level Surface Pro over anything "equivalent" running iOS or Android.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

32 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

new iPad Pro is really impressive except for the fact it's running IOS, not much you can do on it. 

Plenty can be done on iOS. I'd swap my SP3 for an iPad Pro in a heartbeat.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Plenty can be done on iOS. I'd swap my SP3 for an iPad Pro in a heartbeat.

it will depend on what you do but "Plenty" is a strong word. 

30 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

The word they kept on saying was "buttery smooth", so yeah!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

23 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I disagree. On small tablets, it's pretty fucking bad, but once you enter the screen sizes of the iPad Pro, iOS and Android are worse experiences, regardless of using 'traditional' win32 apps or UWP. I'll take an entry level Surface Pro over anything "equivalent" running iOS or Android.

But here's something that iOS does better than Windows 10 on tablets: unobtrusive software updates. No need to configure restart options or active hours or restart while in the middle of doing something. I can download the update and install it later when I'm not busy, which is something Microsoft has trouble doing . Also, there are more iPad-optimized apps on the App Store and it can run iPhone only apps too and those apps are optimized for touch screen. How many Win32 apps are optimized for both touch and mice input? 

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

The word they kept on saying was "buttery smooth", so yeah!

Asphalt 8 runs okay on my aging iPad Air (A7 chip) so I don't know if I'll ever see smoother game play. For handwriting/painting apps, maybe a higher refresh rate could be beneficial.

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

But here's something that iOS does better than Windows 10 on tablets: unobtrusive software updates. No need to configure restart options or active hours or restart while in the middle of doing something. I can download the update and install it later when I'm not busy, which is something Microsoft has trouble doing . Also, there are more iPad-optimized apps on the App Store and it can run iPhone only apps too and those apps are optimized for touch screen. How many Win32 apps are optimized for both touch and mice input? 

Asphalt 8 runs okay on my aging iPad Air (A7 chip) so I don't know if I'll ever see smoother game play. For handwriting/painting apps, maybe a higher refresh rate could be beneficial.

They say with the 120Hz display, the latency for the Apple pencil is down to 20ms.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

How many Win32 apps are optimized for both touch and mice input? 

At the sizes that the iPad "Pro" tablets are running with, touch "optimization" isn't necessary for that many Win32 programs, and the few that could benefit from it, are a few tweaks that leave the UI largely unchanged. The big one that comes to my mind, the close and new tab hit boxes on x86 Chrome and Firefox.

I will take apps like Photoshop, PaintSAI, Sketchbook, Edge/Firefox, Libre Writer, over the best iOS or Android equivalents, strictly from a GUI/UX perspective on any 10+" screen, and I wouldn't waste my time with a smaller tablet for anything other than what I use my phones for.

6 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

But here's something that iOS does better than Windows 10 on tablets: unobtrusive software updates. No need to configure restart options or active hours or restart while in the middle of doing something.

Outside of maybe the first week of using Windows 10, it's not as large of an issue that people want to make it. It gives you a notification that updates are available, and that it'll do it automatically outside of either active hours, if that's not set up, the time that one is usually using their system, or 2am.

If I had a dollar for every time that I, everyone I knew, and everyone that was honest about their update habits, had an update actually interrupt them while they were actually doing something when the update first came out, I'd be broke.

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Pfft I'd rather get a tablet that can cover its cost. Wacom

Nice oxymoron.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

22 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

IOS isn't beating the immense versatility of running Win32 programs. All the apps in app store cannot compare to being able to (if applicable) write and execute what you want. As nice of a device as this is, iOS prevents this device from being a true tech Swiss army knife. 

My eyes see the past…

9 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

IOS isn't beating the immense versatility of running Win32 programs. All the apps in app store cannot compare to being able to (if applicable) write and execute what you want. As nice of a device as this is, iOS prevents this device from being a true tech Swiss army knife. 

True but here's the thing, iOS isn't trying to be a tech Swiss Army knife. It focuses on being a touch first OS. Windows on the other hand is trying to be good at everything but falls short on the touchscreen side. 

At the end of the day, it all boils down to preference. Personally, if I want to crunch numbers in Excel or edit a video, I'd pick a laptop or a desktop but if I want to play a touchscreen only game, or read a Kindle ebook, I'd pick a tablet, not a wannabe tablet-laptop chimera. ?

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

I accidentally dropped my iPad Air on a rough, concrete road (but it's still working) so I might get the 10.5" 128 GB wifi only iPad Pro. I know PCMR cultists would say "why don't you just get a touchscreen Windows tablet?" My answer would be, Windows 10 isn't a very good tablet experience. Windows 10 is a desktop OS first trying to be a tablet, iOS is a blown up smartphone OS that has an experience optimized for tablet use. Besides, how many apps are there on the Windows Store in comparison to the Apple App Store?

Asphalt 8 runs at 30fps to my knowledge, regardless of the hardware it's ran on.

Seems really interesting. I personally wanna see how HDR video turns out on this iPad Pro.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

5 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

True but here's the thing, iOS isn't trying to be a tech Swiss Army knife. It focuses on being a touch first OS. Windows on the other hand is trying to be good at everything but falls short on the touchscreen side. 

At the end of the day, it all boils down to preference. Personally, if I want to crunch numbers in Excel or edit a video, I'd pick a laptop or a desktop but if I want to play a touchscreen only game, or read a Kindle ebook, I'd pick a tablet, not a wannabe tablet-laptop chimera. ?

True, and I acknowledge that Apple isn't making a device for the techie. 

I have my Atom Windows tablet/netbook/thing because I appreciate the versatility and the fact that I can run (within reason given the Atom's capability) anything ever made for Windows or to download whatever I want without restrictions. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to many people however. 

My eyes see the past…

4GB's of ram on both models and the benchmarks for the A10X chip.

9f4f575883a4bd8718d8c1e2c4e4a433.png

They're using the same iPhone 7 camera on the iPad Pro, they're betting on AR taking off.

3 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

new iPad Pro is really impressive except for the fact it's running IOS, not much you can do on it. 

2 hours ago, RGProductions said:

Hey now the only limitation is IOS, and apple itself!

Did you see the new iPad features with iOS 11. There are some pretty powerful iPad updates. And the the photo editing app they showed off in WWDC is quite powerful

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Pfft I'd rather get a tablet that can cover its cost. Wacom

Apple pencil has received alot of praise from wacom artists for its virtually lag free experience and perfect palm rejection. With new iPad 120hz display, the lag is reduced to 20ms which I believe is the fastest stylus in the market

2 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Did you see the new iPad features with iOS 11. There are some pretty powerful iPad updates. And the the photo editing app they showed off in WWDC is quite powerful

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

"photo editing" not full version without any shortcuts or extensions. 

2 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Apple pencil has received alot of praise from wacom artists for its virtually lag free experience and perfect palm rejection. With new iPad 120hz display, the lag is reduced to 20ms which I believe is the fastest stylus in the market

not really, it's an advertisement campaign, most artists use Wacom tablets. 

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

12 GPU processing units

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

12 *General Processing Unit* processing units

I wanted to say something bad about this iPad, but this redundancy was all I could find.

Nothing really new or innovative in this iPad, but tablets have kinda reached the point where there's not a ton else to do. The last iPad was pretty good and this is just more of the same.

Bit of a dick move to switch it to 10.5 inches though, breaking compatibility with all the old accessories for the 9.7" version.

11 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

With new iPad 120hz display, the lag is reduced to 20ms which I believe is the fastest stylus in the market

So Apple claims, but the chances are, it's marketing that builds on a specific scenario that isn't actually achievable in the real world to hit that number. Also, the claim would only make it the fastest by 1ms, if we're just going by claims. Microsoft's claim on the newest Surface Pen is 21ms.

14 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Apple pencil has received alot of praise from wacom artists for its virtually lag free experience and perfect palm rejection.

Until they use it for an extended period of time, and with the software they want that isn't made by or with close collaboration with Apple. Then, every perk of the iPad Pro and Apple pen disappear. The Surface Studio also received high praise from Mike Krahulik, and the Surface Lineup has gotten considerable amount of realistic praise and criticism (which Microsoft actually works on improving) by smaller artists that don't get review samples or sponsorships. Doesn't mean that the platform is perfect (although, between talking to some smaller artists and personal experience, it's better than the iPad Pro.)

15 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

most large artists use Wacom tablets. 

FTFY. Smaller artists are more likely to use brands like Huion or Monoprice, for their more reasonable prices or because they've had good experiences with them. Surface products, and the Vaio Z Canvas, are also gaining traction because they offer very similar performance, if not better, than Wacom's offerings, namely tracking around the edges, while having either lower costs, or better quality for what the unit actually is.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.