Internet help in Australia

Hey All.

I'm a teenager from Queensland Australia. Our internet its terrible. 1mb upload and around 7mb download is an utter joke. Both my parents are accountant and do all their work online. We also have 3 teenagers in the house all older then 16. If everyone is online, the internet is unusable, however my parents need it for work. We need a better solution.

We are with Telstra. Are their any Aussies out their who have a solution? We cant get the NBN, So dont even suggest that. 

Thanks

Alex

3 minutes ago, KingAlexGaming said:

Hey All.

I'm a teenager from Queensland Australia. Our internet its terrible. 1mb upload and around 7mb download is an utter joke. Both my parents are accountant and do all their work online. We also have 3 teenagers in the house all older then 16. If everyone is online, the internet is unusable, however my parents need it for work. We need a better solution.

We are with Telstra. Are their any Aussies out their who have a solution? We cant get the NBN, So dont even suggest that. 

Thanks

Alex

Whether you can get any better will depend on your exact location and address(and the infrastructure in your area). I would suggest getting in contact with other ISP's and ask if they can do better than what Telstra is offering.

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

You could look at plans with other ISPs, but if that the best you can get in the area, thats it (I thought I had it bad with 5MB in sydney). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Check when NBN or if the NBN in coming to your area. I don't think Telstra will upgrade your existing copper unless it actually unusable, those speeds where fast than my ADSL 2+ a year ago (double). It most likely going to fiber to the node but my friends have experiences speed boost even though he pretty far from a node.

Just now, rn8686 said:

You could look at plans with other ISPs, but if that the best you can get in the area, thats it (I though I had it bad with 5MB in sydney). 

Doesn't really help that much if the problem is the copper, switch between 3 different ISP back in the day. Speed where around the same ~5mbps difference. 

Magical Pineapples

11 minutes ago, astrosheen said:

Whether you can get any better will depend on your exact location and address(and the infrastructure in your area). I would suggest getting in contact with other ISP's and ask if they can do better than what Telstra is offering.

Yeah it seems like the infrastructure where i live is outter crap. I'll look around and see what other ISP's offer. Sadly i believe my household has a lock-in contract with Telstra. 

4 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

You could look at plans with other ISPs, but if that the best you can get in the area, thats it (I though I had it bad with 5MB in sydney). 

I definitely will look at other ISP's. But i think Telstra is the best for the Area. 

4 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Check when NBN or if the NBN in coming to your area. I don't think Telstra will upgrade your existing copper unless it actually unusable, those speeds where fast than my ADSL 2+ a year ago (double). It most likely going to fiber to the node but my friends have experiences speed boost even though he pretty far from a node.

Doesn't really help that much if the problem is the copper, switch between 3 different ISP back in the day. Speed where around the same ~5mbps difference. 

I was meant to get it this year around July, But it's been delayed till late 2018. 

1 minute ago, KingAlexGaming said:

I was meant to get it this year around July, But it's been delayed till late 2018. 

It going to fiber to the node or the house? 

Try calling up NBN co and asking them what the reason for the delay. It usually conflict with existing copper network. 

Magical Pineapples

you could call your current ISP and see if they can run a second internet line out to your house, this would cost you more money per month but having the second connection with a load balancing router could help or heck you could even dedicate a line for your parents to do work on one router and have the other for yourself and the 3 teens

10 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

It going to fiber to the node or the house? 

Try calling up NBN co and asking them what the reason for the delay. It usually conflict with existing copper network. 

We are getting the wireless NBN.

2 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

you could call your current ISP and see if they can run a second internet line out to your house, this would cost you more money per month but having the second connection with a load balancing router could help or heck you could even dedicate a line for your parents to do work on one router and have the other for yourself and the 3 teens

I'll try this and see if they will do it. I don't think they will because most of the cables out where I live, are super old. 

3 minutes ago, KingAlexGaming said:

We are getting the wireless NBN.

I'll try this and see if they will do it. I don't think they will because most of the cables out where I live, are super old. 

well they will need to run an additional cable to your house most likely in order for you to have 2 out bound connections, i dont see why the company wouldnt do it especially since you will be paying them extra per month for the additional line

Fixed wireless?

1 hour ago, Windspeed36 said:

Fixed wireless?

If you're talking about the NBN, yes Fixed Wireless,.

31 minutes ago, KingAlexGaming said:

If you're talking about the NBN, yes Fixed Wireless,.

No - ISP's who service through fixed wireless 

6 hours ago, KingAlexGaming said:

Our internet its terrible. 1mb upload and around 7mb download is an utter joke.

LOL. If you want a joke try living in 2001 AUS/NZ....when it was all dialup and 128k.

Anyway, thats enough speed to be watching 720p netflix, while gaming, and parents doing their work....

I suspect its more the fact that by your username and the fact you have active YouTube and Twitch accounts - is that you're absolutely saturating your upload which in turn makes the internet unusable for everybody.

Anyway, in Australia almost all your infrastructure is owned by Telstra (and Optus) in a UBA/Bitstream service - meaning all your other ISP's buy access to the same infrastructure. Your only real option, is if you have WISP's (Wireless ISP's) or LTE Broadband (Mobile Broadband) available in your area - and they can be expensive for usage.

If there are enough free ports on your local DSLAM cabinet then you could get a second broadband connection.

You could use one since I assume youre the heavy user in the house, while the rest of the family use the other - or you could balance the connections using a multi WAN router or setting up a pfSense router box.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

13 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

LOL. If you want a joke try living in 2001 AUS/NZ....when it was all dialup and 128k

Wasn't that long ago (literally months) the best connection I could get at my old place was still isdn.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

49 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

LOL. If you want a joke try living in 2001 AUS/NZ....when it was all dialup and 128k.

Anyway, thats enough speed to be watching 720p netflix, while gaming, and parents doing their work....

I suspect its more the fact that by your username and the fact you have active YouTube and Twitch accounts - is that you're absolutely saturating your upload which in turn makes the internet unusable for everybody.

Anyway, in Australia almost all your infrastructure is owned by Telstra (and Optus) in a UBA/Bitstream service - meaning all your other ISP's buy access to the same infrastructure. Your only real option, is if you have WISP's (Wireless ISP's) or LTE Broadband (Mobile Broadband) available in your area - and they can be expensive for usage.

If there are enough free ports on your local DSLAM cabinet then you could get a second broadband connection.

You could use one since I assume youre the heavy user in the house, while the rest of the family use the other - or you could balance the connections using a multi WAN router or setting up a pfSense router box.

No. My username is this because I'm creative and couldn't think of anything creative. I don't upload anything. I only watch videos. 

Australian internet is a joke. 

16 minutes ago, KingAlexGaming said:

No. My username is this because I'm creative and couldn't think of anything creative. I don't upload anything. I only watch videos. 

Australian internet is a joke. 

That's pretty funny then - there is a 16yo on Twitch that does Minecraft gaming called KingAlexGaming (who ive seen spamming before to get subs)....i figured you were him.

You should be able to stream YouTube/Twitch/Netflix/etc..in 720p and do general surfing at the same time though.

But its not really that bad in general, Australia is somewhere around mid 40's out of 144 ranked countries for internet with an average speed over 15Mbit.

You just happen to not live in an area that either has ADSL2+ (or youre to far away to benefit from the speed), or with NBN (FTTN or FFTH)

In comparison New Zealand is around mid 30's with an average speed of around 24Mbit - which is because our equivelant to your NBN delivers up to 1Gbps speed, and we're several years ahead of you in our deployment.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

29 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

That's pretty funny then - there is a 16yo on Twitch that does Minecraft gaming called KingAlexGaming (who ive seen spamming before to get subs)....i figured you were him.

You should be able to stream YouTube/Twitch/Netflix/etc..in 720p and do general surfing at the same time though.

But its not really that bad in general, Australia is somewhere around mid 40's out of 144 ranked countries for internet with an average speed over 15Mbit.

You just happen to not live in an area that either has ADSL2+ (or youre to far away to benefit from the speed), or with NBN (FTTN or FFTH)

In comparison New Zealand is around mid 30's with an average speed of around 24Mbit - which is because our equivelant to your NBN delivers up to 1Gbps speed, and we're several years ahead of you in our deployment.

Bloody Kiwi's. Lmao

The Australian government needs to invest more in internet infrastructure. . 

Also i find streaming or youtubing as a teenager a bit cringy, like you need to be at least 17 to start or you just seem, cringy. 

Have you looked at Satellite internet? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

4 hours ago, KingAlexGaming said:

Bloody Kiwi's. Lmao

The Australian government needs to invest more in internet infrastructure. . 

Also i find streaming or youtubing as a teenager a bit cringy, like you need to be at least 17 to start or you just seem, cringy. 

Just be glad im pretty sure you guys don't have any Conklins.

We still have some of those in rural NZ. Theyre a mini DSLAM (DSL cabinet) connected with a backhaul of between 1-4 x 2Mbit E1 copper connections - providing a total bandwidth of 8Mbit - to serve as many as 60 customers. The biggest shared bandwidth fail in broadband technology.

Spoiler

Spoiler