Lego Case Planning Assistance

DanTheMuffinMan

Hello Everybody,

I'm planning an ambitious (for me) new rig, the highlight of which will be a case made out of Lego. The exact aesthetic and design I'm still debating, but here are the general idea's I've pretty much decided on:

• Computer will be on it's side, so that the back of the motherboard points down (80% sure)
  • Case will likely be building-shaped, with a "skylight" (acrylic side panel) roof and/or easily removal roof to get at and show off the innards
  • Front-Panel connectors will be hidden by some aspect of the building's facade (if I include them at all)
  • Will need to do custom start/reset buttons (I've never wired anything like that before, if anyone could point me to a guide I'd appreciate it)
  • Full-ATX in size
  • AIO water cooler of some sort for CPU
  • Minimize fans and metal-to-lego contact

Here's where I need some help; I was thinking it would save a lot of work if I have a just a Motherboard tray and possibly PCI/IO Bracket as a base to build around. I was originally thinking of buying some cheap case and cannibalizing it, but maybe buying some kind of test-bench or similar bare-bones item would be even better? I found these Motherboard Trays & Backplates from Case Labs but I was wondering if anyone knew of some good alternatives they could point me towards.

Once I have that part delivered and can take some good measurements in person, I can 3d model it and the other components and get to work on an actual design for the case. I'll probably make a Build Log on that.

I'm in Canada and would prefer links for places that ship to Canada and pricing in CAD if possible.

Thanks for looking everybody. Comments and questions welcome.

EDIT: More info as requested:

Essentially there is no limit to the budget, it can go as high as it needs to. Part's aren't finalized and if this project ends up moving a few months into the future things may change (I also tend to change things slightly based on what's on-sale at the moment), but anyway:

• ATX for MOBO size
  • i7-7700K 
  • H100i V2
  • I'd like to get a MOBO with m.2 slots for some M.2 SSD's (also considering PCI SSD for the main boot drive) - something along the lines of a Asus ROG Maximus
  • There will be mechanical HDD's for storage, probably 2
  • DDR4 RAM, probably 32GB
  • GTX 1080 TI (not interested in SLI/Crossfire)
  • Corsair RM####, not sure on wattage yet, but I'll probably go quite high to keep the fans off as much as possible
  • Sleeved Cables, RGB strips, Noctua fans, all the standards

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

Whats your budget for the actual pc? (in cad)

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Just now, hconverse02 said:

Whats your budget for the actual pc? (in cad)

that's irrelevant, he is asking for help with the case not with the build

10 minutes ago, DanTheMuffinMan said:

I'm planning an ambitious (for me) new rig

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

that's irrelevant, he is asking for help with the case not with the build

Umm well we need to know motherboard size gpu size, heat dissipation etc. so he doesnt melt his house down.  Also if he doesn't have parts, why not recommend some?

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Thanks for the responses guys.

Essentially there is no limit to the budget, it can go as high as it needs to. Part's aren't finalized and if this project ends up moving a few months into the future things may change (I also tend to change things slightly based on what's on-sale at the moment), but anyway:

• ATX for MOBO size
  • i7-7700K 
  • H100i V2
  • I'd like to get a MOBO with m.2 slots for some M.2 SSD's (also considering PCI SSD for the main boot drive) - something along the lines of a Asus ROG Maximus
  • There will be mechanical HDD's for storage, probably 2
  • DDR4 RAM, probably 32GB
  • GTX 1080 TI (not interested in SLI/Crossfire)
  • Corsair RM####, not sure on wattage yet, but I'll probably go quite high to keep the fans off as much as possible
  • Sleeved Cables, RGB strips, Noctua fans, all the standards

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

I think the hardest part will be figuring out mounting solutions for everything. It will be hard unless you are willing to drill screw holes in the Legos.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

There are mobo backplates at moddiy but case labs is cheaper. But I'm not looking at shipping. Also I don't get why everyone is worried about cases getting to hot when your using something that's not metal. Yes your individual chips get 90c but as long as you have reasonable airflow your interior air is maybe 40 and that's probably pushing it. Some water blocks use the same plastic as Legos and no one complains about those melting.

4 hours ago, KazerTheKeen said:

There are mobo backplates at moddiy but case labs is cheaper. But I'm not looking at shipping. Also I don't get why everyone is worried about cases getting to hot when your using something that's not metal. Yes your individual chips get 90c but as long as you have reasonable airflow your interior air is maybe 40 and that's probably pushing it. Some water blocks use the same plastic as Legos and no one complains about those melting.

Yeah I don't think it's really an issue myself. But to be on the safe side I'll be looking for a blower-style GPU and some good ventilation going across the systems.

I've never heard of Moddiy before, I'll check them out, thanks.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Pick-a-Brick

That is a link to every brick lego sells so you can buy them in bulk. There are also third party sites if you want to save more money. I recommend using their technic pieces (the ones with holes, pins, and cross pieces) they will hold together a lot more solidly and they will be easier to glue after they are assembled because you won't need to take them apart. I do also recommend gluing them when you are done otherwise every time you move the case you risk stressing it and having things break etc.

I had considered using legos for my case and let me warn you that it will be more expensive than you think but it should absolutely be possible. the link you had with that bare bones case is a great idea I wish I would have found that when I was considering a similar project.

It will take a long time to plan and build but  there is no reason it shouldn't work. If you want to plan ahead you can use the lego cad program found in the link below but fair warning the controls are really not good.

http://ldd.lego.com/en-us/

Sorry the links are for the US but if that is a problem I am sure there is a CA equivalent.

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

Also legos can get really really hot so don't worry about that. I've seen the point when legos melt and as long as you have airflow similar to a normal case you will be fine. My brother once made a pelton wheel out of legos and the lego axle was spinning at about 8k rpm rubbing on the other leggos before it even got soft. I'm not sure what temperature that would be but it is way hotter than the air temp would be in there anyway.

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

15 hours ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

Also legos can get really really hot so don't worry about that. I've seen the point when legos melt and as long as you have airflow similar to a normal case you will be fine. My brother once made a pelton wheel out of legos and the lego axle was spinning at about 8k rpm rubbing on the other leggos before it even got soft. I'm not sure what temperature that would be but it is way hotter than the air temp would be in there anyway.

Cool, what did he use the pelton wheel for?

Back on-topic: so it sounds like Case Labs and modDIY are the places to go for just a Motherboard Tray, unless someone else has suggestions on that front I'm leaning towards the Merlin SM8. A lot of modDIY's look cool, but I really don't like the look of their PCI brackets, they looks real flimsy to me. What do you guys think?:

Merlin SM8:

undefined

ModDIY PC-D009

QDIY Professional Modder Acrylic Case (PC-D009)

ModDIY YJ-ZJM08

QDIY Professional Modder Acrylic ATX Motherboard Tray (YJ-ZJM08)

ModDIY YJ-LZ1U

QDIY Pure Aluminium Professional PC Mod Test Bed (YJ-LZ1U)

4 hours ago, DanTheMuffinMan said:

Cool, what did he use the pelton wheel for?

He was making a model hydroelectric power plant with the help of my step dad who designed them for his work.

4 hours ago, DanTheMuffinMan said:

What do you guys think?

I would go with the Merlin. It already gives you the two most important sides and it looks like the least flimsy of the bunch. Plus it gives you a place for one fan right off the bat so you don't need to worry about making that mount.

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

7 hours ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

He was making a model hydroelectric power plant with the help of my step dad who designed them for his work.

Neat.

Just a one-last-try-for-input bump