intel pentilim 

some itx mobo

8 or 16gb stick of ddr4

Fractal design node 304

2 wd red 4tb hdd

Usb for unraid

did I miss anything?

Dont forget a PSU ;)

Just make sure with the CPU you stick with a G series Pentium or Celeron - they all have onboard graphics so you wont require a GPU.

You cant really go past the Intel G4560 for price to performance in the low tier, if you want to save another $20 though you could also just do a celeron like a G3930

Something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($135.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($135.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($84.90 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.39 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $640.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-11 04:50 EDT-0400

You might also be interested in some other more NAS oriented case options (if your budget allows for any of these):

Silverstone DS380B has 8 hotswap bays

iStarUSA S-35-DE5 has 5 hotswap bays

Norcotek ITX-S4 has 4 hotswap bays

Norcotek ITX-S8 has 8 hotswap bays

iStarUSA S917 has 7 5.25" bays (You can install 2 x hotswap bays such as this)

iStarUSA S915 with 5 x 5.25" bays (As above but less bays)

12 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Jup and jup, UPS is really just important if 24/7 operation is vital to you 

jup, on both of those and it works great

So if I'm running it 24/7 does it matter if I don't have a ups if I don't mind it going down or would I NEED one?

Edited by BDunkz

15 minutes ago, BDunkz said:

So if I'm running it 24/7 does it matter if I don't have a ups if I don't mind it going down or would I NEED one?

NEEDing, absolutely not. Look at it this way, every time your power cuts you have a very small chance that a drive might die, if you are really unlucky you will experience this maybe like twice in your life, so the UPS is probably not worth it 

2 hours ago, ChalkChalkson said:

NEEDing, absolutely not. Look at it this way, every time your power cuts you have a very small chance that a drive might die, if you are really unlucky you will experience this maybe like twice in your life, so the UPS is probably not worth it 

Ok so no ups for me. I've got 2 3gb sticks of ddr2 ram will it work or will I buy new stuff?

2 hours ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Are uesed drives worth the risk or just buy new?

2 minutes ago, BDunkz said:

Ok so no ups for me. I've got 2 3gb sticks of ddr2 ram will it work or will I buy new stuff?

If you still have a Mobo and CPU for it, sure, but I'd say get a mobo with 4 dimm slots then, so you can upgrade it later. But you probably shouldn't buy a ddr2 cpu and mobo

1 minute ago, BDunkz said:

Are uesed drives worth the risk or just buy new?

If you have redundancy and backup you might want to do that, but on the other hand, in that case, I would throw the old hardware into a backup NAS and buy new hardware for the main nas.

But if you can't afford 2 servers yet, sure start by building something :)

6 hours ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Unraid isn't really just an OS, as @Jarsky helpfully stated.

It has its own way of building the same redundancy as a RAID 5 without striping, so even if you lose the "array"  (meaning the redundancy and a data drive) you won't lose all data, just the data on the compromised data drive (data drives if you have multiple failures). It also has the giant benefit @Jarsky described of allowing drives of different sizes, and it allows flexible adding of drives, you don't need to add them in specific chunks, or even start from scratch each time.

If you use a single parity drive in unraid, and a single drive fails everything is fine, you can even access your data while you are waiting for a new drive, no problem. The performance of unraid however is (more of less) the same as if you just used a single massive drive

you can do this in any linux. it just throws a gui on it. like i said its just an os that makes things easy.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

you can do this in any linux. it just throws a gui on it. like i said its just an os that makes things easy.

you could, but then again, you could also do this in assembly... You'd still need to setup btrfs etc yourself 

Does anyone known how big my ssd cache should be?

IMG_0535.JPG

Just now, BDunkz said:

Does anyone known how big my ssd cache should be?

remind me what are you using the server for, how many clients

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Only 2 or 3 at a time max and to store my steam library, family photos and documents most of witch uriplacable

4 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Do I even need a cache?

5 minutes ago, BDunkz said:

Do I even need a cache?

not likely. a cache stores frequently used files, so multimedia for one or two users will not see any frequently used files.

Cache can also provide random access improvements but you just wont see it for one or two users accessing multimedia.

Hard drives come with cache anyway and your OS should be making use of its RAM

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Ok, so an:

intel pentilim 

some itx mobo

8 or 16gb stick of ddr4

Fractal design node 304

2 wd red 4tb hdd

Usb for unraid

did I miss anything?

1 hour ago, BDunkz said:

Ok, so an:

intel pentilim 

some itx mobo

8 or 16gb stick of ddr4

Fractal design node 304

2 wd red 4tb hdd

Usb for unraid

did I miss anything?

Dont forget a PSU ;)

Just make sure with the CPU you stick with a G series Pentium or Celeron - they all have onboard graphics so you wont require a GPU.

You cant really go past the Intel G4560 for price to performance in the low tier, if you want to save another $20 though you could also just do a celeron like a G3930

Something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($84.90 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.39 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $640.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-11 04:50 EDT-0400

You might also be interested in some other more NAS oriented case options (if your budget allows for any of these):

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

36 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

I HATE the look of hotswap bays and I'm planning on making a diy itx case (node 304 size) with as many hdd space as posible

13 minutes ago, BDunkz said:

I HATE the look of hotswap bays and I'm planning on making a diy itx case (node 304 size) with as many hdd space as posible

Hotswap bays are extremely useful - not just for easy install/removal without playing with cables - but also most bays have LED's which indicate drive activity and more importantly status. If you have a drive fail - generally the drive light will be flashing so you know which drive without having to mess about with identifying serial numbers.

With those iStarUSA S915/S917 cases, you could also just use internal cages if you dont want hotswaps at all.

The Node 304 is a lot cheaper though, so is a good choice if you don't want to mess around with this stuff.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Just now, Jarsky said:

Hotswap bays are extremely useful - not just for easy install/removal without playing with cables - but also most bays have LED's which indicate drive activity and more importantly status. If you have a drive fail - generally the drive light will be flashing so you know which drive without having to mess about with identifying serial numbers.

With those iStarUSA S915/S917 cases, you could also just use internal cages if you dont want hotswaps at all.

The Node 304 is a lot cheaper though, so is a good choice if you don't want to mess around with this stuff.

yeah I think ill go with the node 304