Skiing or Snowboarding?

AlphaGamer46

Skiing or Snowboarding?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you pick for a beginner?

• Skiing
    • Snowboarding

Howdy y'all.

I'm going on a ski trip in a couple of months, but I have a big decision to make: do I pick skiing, or do I pick snowboarding?

I'm only going to be there for a week, so I want to be able to pick it up relatively quickly.

All opinions welcome!

-Alpha

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

what do you think you'd enjoy more?

edit: to be more helpful,

skiing is more intuitive and the basics are easier to learn. snowboarding is all about being on either your heels or toes at all times, which is more awkward at first, and takes time to get used to.

you'll probably fall more snowboarding, but i personally think its more fun

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

2 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

what do you think you'd enjoy more?

I have absolutely no idea xD.

I'm going with a few of my close friends, so we'll all end up doing the same thing.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

Just now, AlphaGamer46 said:

I have absolutely no idea xD.

I'm going with a few of my close friends, so we'll all end up doing the same thing.

if you've got a whole week,  i totally vote snowboarding.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Never tried snowboarding cause I love skiing.

It is both not hard. It is just a question which one do you prefer, two or one boards under your foot?

Honestly?  Probably doesn't really matter.  It's all about having an adrenaline rush from not dying getting down the mountain regardless of what's attached to your feet.

I picked up skiing 6 months ago and was going down the mountain on my first lesson.  one of my friends ended up going home crying and couldn't really get the hang of it.  point being: it's probably up to you how fast you will learn either skiing or snowboarding.

I'll give 2 advices: first, wear long sleeve compression gear under your clothing so if you fall you won't tear skin from sliding.  second, don't be afraid of what you're doing.  If you go down the mountain acting like a pussy, you're going to fall a lot more than if you just take a "fuck it, let's go" approach.  edit: third advice, don't worry about people up the mountain crashing in to you.  only worry about people below you and cross-traffic if you're cutting across another trail.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I skied all my life, then when snowboarding became popular I tried snowboarding on a beginners ski hill and I could turn both ways and do small jumps within a run or 2.

I remember cutting old ski's down, perhaps half way and skiing on those.

Heck I remember when snowboarding was not allowed on ski hills.

Tried snowboarding for the first time when I was a kid and was pretty good at it.

Tried it again as a teenager and I sucked really bad it.

You need to be sort of active for this kind of sport to enjoy.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Try both. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Skiing, but learn without poles. Only give them poles when they master footwork and pretty much everything that doesn't require poles. If you don't think this is possible, that's how I learned to ski...

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I've tried both, but I ski. I love skiing so much.

I found skiing easier to get started with. Snowboarding was somewhat easy on a novice hill to stay upright (not fall over), but actually learning control and direction and maneuvering is more difficult.

You'll probably enjoy either, but as a Skier, I am compelled to attempt to get you to pick that one :P 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Snowboarding is way cooler than skiing. With that being said, it's also a lot harder and looking like a fool while trying to balance on a snowboard won't get you any chicks.

Since you're only going to be there for a week, I think it's best to go with skiing. It will be easier to learn and what's important is having fun. It's not fun to constantly fall down, and learning how to ski will be difficult enough for you.

Its fucking too expensive to ski now a days.

$100 for the lift ticket, $50 for food, $20-$30 in fuel, $50+ to rent shit

Even shitty ass fucking "Ski Hills" are expensive, good for learning and ski racing.

The "Ski Hills" that are actually hills, not mountains.

5 minutes ago, yathis said:

Its fucking too expensive to ski now a days.

$100 for the lift ticket, $50 for food, $20-$30 in fuel, $50+ to rent shit

Even shitty ass fucking "Ski Hills" are expensive, good for learning and ski racing.

The "Ski Hills" that are actually hills, not mountains.

Buy your own gear. Big investment (I probably spent $500 on Ski's, poles, boots, helmet, and a carry case), but that stuff will pretty much last you forever. I bought my gear around 12-13 years ago, and they're all still in great condition.

As for food, yeah if you eat there, food is expensive. Want to save money? Pack a lunch! $100 for a lift ticket seems pretty expensive - in Ontario, you're looking at closer to $25-$35 for a day. $100 would get you a season pass (A restricted one, that lets you go nights and weekends for example). A full season pass is over $150+.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yeah my parents spent a fortune, growing kids, new shit every year, more $

Soccer is a good sport, shoes thats all.

$100 for a lift ticket aint cool neither.

Hills are $50

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-06-09 at 10:26 PM, yathis said:

Yeah my parents spent a fortune, growing kids, new shit every year, more $

Soccer is a good sport, shoes thats all.

$100 for a lift ticket aint cool neither.

Hills are $50

Don't forget club membership fees, uniforms, skin guards and if you're a goalkeeper, gloves.

Obviously some sports are much more expensive than others (I used to play golf, so I know) but I think most sports are expensive for growing children which needs new equipment ever year. Stupid children and their "growth".

Hockey is the most expensive. Then skiing is 2nd place.

13 minutes ago, yathis said:

Hockey is the most expensive. Then skiing is 2nd place.

[Citation Needed]

Also, it depends on a lot of factors. Do you include the travel expenses for skiing? Because then you can argue that you are paying flight tickets in the "price" for skiing. Buying and maintaining a horse, plus all the club fees and equipment that goes along with riding makes it extremely expensive too. Most likely more expensive than skiing.

Golf? All depends on what gear you buy. You can buy a single club that costs as much as an entire skiing kit, and you can have 14 clubs (plus membership which varies greatly depending on the club).

I have no doubt in my mind that skiing is one of the most expensive sports for kids, but I don't think you can definitively say it is the second most expensive.

All sports can vary greatly in cost.

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Do you include the travel expenses for skiing?

Gas and vehicle wear & tear.

If you are saying club fee's then golf would be the most expensive, because some cost $1M

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/?toURL=https://www.forbes.com/2005/09/01/luxury-travel-clubs-cx_sb_0901feat_ls.html&refURL=https://duckduckgo.com/&referrer=https://duckduckgo.com/

OK Maybe I wasnt close on $1M

No. 1 Liberty National – New Jersey, USA

Joining fee: $374,400

Pine Valley Golf Club

The country club was opened for the first time back in 1913, and since then membership has always been granted to those invited by the board of directors. There are around 930 members from all corners of the world. Women are only allowed on the course on Sunday afternoons and guests can only enter if invited and accompanied by a member.

http://www.sportssignup.com/blog/bid/194702/The-Most-Expensive-Youth-Sports-to-Play

There is no denying that playing youth sports, especially at a highly competitive level, can costs $1000s of dollars per child each year. Paying to play has practically become the new normal in youth sports, especially since more and more youth athletes are playing year round (either one sport all year or a new sport each season), and parents are looking to give their children every extra edge possible, including one-on-one coaching sessions, high-powered travel teams, fancy equipment, and more. In the United States, parents spend $671 on average per year to cover the costs of uniforms, registration fees, and private lessons and coaching. At least 1 in 5 ends up spending over $1,000 per child, every year.

Some sports are inherently more expensive than others, simply because you have to invest in more equipment (think how much gear a hockey goalie has versus a soccer player). But when all is said and done what are some of the most expensive youth sports you can play?

Skiing

If you live in New England or the mountains of Colorado skiing, snowboarding, and other winterThe Most Expensive Youth Sports to Play sports are readily available to try. Play It Again Sports says that skiing is one of the most expensive sports you can try (and one that children will likely quit). Their rundown of used skis ($200), boots ($100), poles ($25), a helmet ($50), goggles ($30), skiiing pants ($40) and gloves ($30) comes out to a total expense of $535 for gear alone. Never mind the lift tickets each weekend, private lessons, and travel costs of getting to and from the mountain. With the Winter Olympics just ending, your child might be dreaming of becoming the next Shaun White or Mikaela Shiffrin, but just be aware that it's an expensive road to the top of that mountain!

Hockey

According to ESPN, one hockey family has spent $48,850 on their daughter's hockey dreams so far. Club dues have added up to $20,000, while travel expenses and private coaching sessions/clinics/camps were another $10 grand each.  Even if your child isn't playing at the highest level of youth hockey, it can still cost near $1,000 or more per season. Never mind the time investment that comes with playing youth hockey---many players have to be on the ice at 5 AM...and the ice is two hours away!

Football

If your son or daughter wants to join a youth football league run by Youth Football USA the regular season registration fees alone at $199.00. Pop Warner leagues can cost $75 to $200, based on the league's discretion. If your child makes it to the high school level, the cost to play gets even more expensive.

Alta High reported the highest optional costs at $830. Head coach Bob Stephens offers a summer camp at Snow College for $290, weekly team meals for $90, summer weight training for $80, a fitness class for $35, a highlight video and pictures for $55, miscellaneous activities for $60, and a $220 spirit pack that includes a hooded sweatshirt, duffel bag, team-logoed T-shirt and shorts, compression shirt, core shorts, game socks, a practice girdle and a mouthpiece.

These costs are supposed to be optional, but many parents feel that if they don't pay their children won't play. Either the coach will hold some kind of grudge, or their teammates' skills will surpass their own player's.

Baseball

Baseball and softball equipment accounted for $488 million in wholesale sales in 2010, according to the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association. A blog post on CBS Moneywatch in 2009 quoted one family who paid $4000 for their 9-year old to play on a traveling baseball team.

My snowboard instructor told us that Skiing was easier for beginners and I've heard it from a few other people.

Snowboarding is a lot of fun but if you are a beginner you're definitely going to crash into someone who is going to get angry and then you're glad you crashed into them. (I hate that guy, I'm pretty sure we went to the same school, too.)

The thing with snowboarding is your knees and ass get sore real quick.

Skiing is better anywayzzzzzz

I do both and they're both really fun. Although it's true that skiing tends to be easier to pick up as a beginner you shouldn't base your choice off of which is easier to learn or what other people prefer. You should base it off which is the most interesting to you and which you would prefer to learn. You can't go wrong either way and they're both a blast to learn. If you can swing it I would recommend getting at least one lesson from a professional during your trip (maybe on the second or third day) so that you learn the basics correctly and don't develop bad habits that can be very hard to break once you learn them.

Either way have fun, you really can't go wrong.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.