1700 or 7700K for Gaming?

Go to solution Solved by NicholasNicholasNicholas,
Just now, vshah said:

I'm gonna overclock. It's either the 1600, 1700, or 7700K for me. Right, based on all your guys' arguments, the 1700 is best for me because I can get it for only 90 bucks more than the 1600 and it has two more cores. The 1700 has better minimums that the 7700K and it will be better for the future. 

not to mention upgrade path. am4 will be supported until 2020, and that will include zen 2 and 3, which are both 7nm chips

So I've been looking at some of the first benchmark videos for Ryzen from Kyle, Paul, and Jay and I've seen, specifically in the two videos at the bottom, that the 7700K beats the 1700 quite considerably in gaming. Is this still the case and should I buy the 1700 or 7700K in terms of gaming only?

On 6/7/2017 at 8:20 PM, vshah said:

So I've been looking at some of the first benchmark videos for Ryzen from Kyle, Paul, and Jay and I've seen, specifically in the two videos at the bottom, that the 7700K beats the 1700 quite considerably in gaming. Is this still the case and should I buy the 1700 or 7700K in terms of gaming only?

I would consider the 1700 for future proofing and because it gets better minimum framerates in games.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

On 6/7/2017 at 8:20 PM, vshah said:

while it may be better in games, ryzen is still very new and is unoptimized for games. it will get better with time, also, ryzen is better for literally EVERYTHING else. so if you like having several tabs open at once, youll want to go with ryzen. it also gives you more choices if lets say one day you decide you wanna start making youtube videos or streaming. the extra cores will also help, not to mention am4 is going to have a long, long upgrade path, while lga 1151 is on its way out.

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

7700k if u r just gaming, but 1700 if u r multitasking (r7 is better deal tbh tho, becuz its still a great cpu for gaming)

6 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Are you ONLY gaming? 

No, I usually have a lot of tabs on chrome open (I have 52 open right now). It's more or less just gaming and a lot of Chrome tabs.

1 minute ago, vshah said:

No, I usually have a lot of tabs on chrome open (I have 52 open right now). It's more or less just gaming and a lot of Chrome tabs.

go for ryzen than 

7 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

while it may be better in games, ryzen is still very new and is unoptimized for games. it will get better with time, also, ryzen is better for literally EVERYTHING else. so if you like having several tabs open at once, youll want to go with ryzen. it also gives you more choices if lets say one day you decide you wanna start making youtube videos or streaming. the extra cores will also help, not to mention am4 is going to have a long, long upgrade path, while lga 1151 is on its way out.

Okay, thanks for your input!! I was already leaning towards the 1700 and I'm definitely gonna get it now.

1 minute ago, vshah said:

what u doing boi, with 52 chrome tabs

Just now, yathis said:

Chrome is ram sensitive I believe.

chrome is ram and CPU sensitive, it will depend on what OP is doing. 

1 minute ago, woowie said:

what u doing boi, with 52 chrome tabs

I'm addicted to some stuff...

8 minutes ago, woowie said:

7700k dont listen to all them ryzen boys out there. You can also find coolers easily

the 7700k is overrated. it has low minimums compared to ryzen

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

7700k, you can open stuff faster, ryzen 1700 is over rateeddd

Just now, edward30 said:

Nope. Chrome only consumes enough cycles to worry about when it is loading in content, or is running some really nasty JS. You could easily let 8GB of chrome tabs sit in the background and game with negligible (if any) performance impact.

you are incorrect, if you have video playing or anything other than basic websites, it will take up resources

Just now, edward30 said:

Nope. Chrome only consumes enough cycles to worry about when it is loading in content, or is running some really nasty JS. You could easily let 8GB of chrome tabs sit in the background and game with negligible (if any) performance impact.

I'm at 85% ram usage with 52 Chrome tabs open with 8GB of ram

Just now, woowie said:

7700k, you can open stuff faster, ryzen 1700 is over rateeddd

nice way to take a serious argument and ignore it

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

1 minute ago, edward30 said:

I should of qualified -- if you have 16GB of RAM. Those chrome tabs mean nothing to your gaming performance.

not many people have 16 gigs though

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Just now, edward30 said:

I should of qualified -- if you have 16GB of RAM. Those chrome tabs mean nothing to your gaming performance.

yes it will, if OP has 1080p video and a podcast open, it will impact OPs gaming experience.  

On 6/7/2017 at 8:41 PM, edward30 said:

Yes, which is what I will have. But a lot of those are youtube tabs/some do have things updating so the CPU will still have some load on it with Chrome.

On 6/7/2017 at 8:43 PM, nerdslayer1 said:

yes it will, if OP has 1080p video and a podcast open, it will impact OPs gaming experience.  

I'm gonna have a 1080, though. So I should still be above 60 FPS

7700k if gaming it's way better and AMD lied for gaming

So true it hurts

Just now, SirFlamenco said:

7700k if gaming it's way better and AMD lied for gaming

no... just no.
7700k has lower minimums, which, in most peoples opinion, is worse as the screen is not smooth. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

3 minutes ago, vshah said:

I'm gonna have a 1080, though. So I should still be above 60 FPS

don't think that's what OP is aiming for, a ryzen 1600 can multitask better while keeping a solid 60 fps. unless OP wants to push 144 hz, a ryzen 1600 will be cheaper, spend the extra on a better gpu.