How much difference do M.2 drives make vs SATA SSD's for an OS drive and games?

Profoundsoup

Is it worth upgrading to an m.2 drive to use for a games drive and OS drive? How much of a difference would it realistically make compared to a regular SATA SSD? 

If it's a Sata M.2 Just get a regular SSD.If it's a NVME then it's too expensive 

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

If it's a Sata M.2 Just get a regular SSD.If it's a NVME then it's too expensive 

Are the performance benefits of NVME drives noticeable for gaming and everyday use? 

If you are coming from a hard drive and you have a budget, a SATA SSD will do you just fine. The speeds on NVME drives are definitely way faster, but in terms of boot time and game load time, you won't see much of a difference.

At best you'd get 2-4 seconds off your boot time and maybe a second or two off loading times. Only reason I'd suggest M.2 is if you had no space left for your SATA SSDs in your case or motherboard

Just now, matt0725 said:

If you are coming from a hard drive and you have a budget, a SATA SSD will do you just fine. The speeds on NVME drives are definitely way faster, but in terms of boot time and game load time, you won't see much of a difference.

No I have 4 SSD's right now and was wondering if its worth upgrading my boot drive and my main 1tb game drive to a M.2 Drive like the 850 EVO 

2 minutes ago, Profoundsoup said:

No I have 4 SSD's right now and was wondering if its worth upgrading my boot drive and my main 1tb game drive to a M.2 Drive like the 850 EVO 

I don't think you'll see much of a difference at all in performance for games and Windows. The big difference will be only having one drive to worry about, not worrying about which of your 4+ drives you're installing to, etc.

I have 2 SSD's and 2 HDD so i go back and forth on combing into larger drives all the time lol