RX580 and 480 Pricing

gent23mj

As I was coming to a decision on which video card was best for me (RX480), according to my gaming needs and budget, AMD had to release the RX580, and in limited quantity.  Now, there are not very many of them, major retailers like BHPhotoVideo and Newegg are sold out with capped list of preorders, and nobody knows when they are getting any or how many (August at the earliest I think).  And this has left prices on both the 480 and 580 abnormally high.  Some on Ebay are downright stupid.  I am ready to finish my build (first one in a long while, mind you, so Im kind of itching to get the last piece), but do not feel like waiting 3 months and hoping a larger supply will bring prices back to normal nor can I get a gtx1060 because I just bought a monitor with AMD Freesync.

Does anyone have any insight or knowledge about when these cards will be ready or if there is another card in that tier that will do well?  To my knowledge, the 1060 and rx480/580 are the two in the top end of 1080p60fps ish category.  But I do not know for sure.  I am just getting back into this.

Can you spend $330, so that you can get a GTX 1070? AMD cards are very hard to find and very expensive, because of crypto currency miners :/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Can you spend $330, so that you can get a GTX 1070? AMD cards are very hard to find and very expensive, because of crypto currency miners :/

I suppose I could save more and get one.  But id need to try to sell my AMD Freesync Monitor and get a G-Sync.  I got an awesome deal on the monitor too :(

Just now, gent23mj said:

I suppose I could save more and get one.  But id need to try to sell my AMD Freesync Monitor and get a G-Sync.  I got an awesome deal on the monitor too :(

You can wait for Vega if you want, so that you don't have to sell your monitor :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Probably best to wait, though most likely have to snatch a Vega fast if the crypto coins keep going up.  No doubt miners are keeping an eye out for Vega

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Can anyone tell me - what are crypto coins and miners?

5 minutes ago, gent23mj said:

Its a digital currency, sorta. Pretty sure Linus has a video on it

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

2 minutes ago, gent23mj said:

Bitcoin is the cryptocoin of lore that everybody thinks of, but it's absolute shit to mine.

Most people are GPU mining on Ethereum/Ethereum Classic

What is a cryptocoin?  It is essentially a currency ($$$) that is unregulated by any government body, is secure, and less easily traceable. 

What is mining?  Well, the way to get Cryptocoins (other than just buying them up and hoping they go up in value like stocks in a stock market) is to mine them with GPUs, using a graphics card to figure out complex mathematical algorithms in exchange for a proof-of-work reward (the coins).

I have had my 2 R9 380X's churning away over the weekend and make $20 of Ether off of them.

If you're interested further, 1stminingrig is a good blog to go to for information.

37 minutes ago, CerberusLabrat said:

Bitcoin is the cryptocoin of lore that everybody thinks of, but it's absolute shit to mine.

Most people are GPU mining on Ethereum/Ethereum Classic

What is a cryptocoin?  It is essentially a currency ($$$) that is unregulated by any government body, is secure, and less easily traceable. 

What is mining?  Well, the way to get Cryptocoins (other than just buying them up and hoping they go up in value like stocks in a stock market) is to mine them with GPUs, using a graphics card to figure out complex mathematical algorithms in exchange for a proof-of-work reward (the coins).

I have had my 2 R9 380X's churning away over the weekend and make $20 of Ether off of them.

If you're interested further, 1stminingrig is a good blog to go to for information.

Just out of curiosity, but how much do u think 4 rx 580s would make in a weekend?

Thanks for the info on the coin farming.

Regarding video cards.  I found a 480 8gb for about 260.  But that will screw me when it comes to DX12 games in the future wont it?

1 minute ago, JJVGaming said:

Just out of curiosity, but how much do u think 4 rx 580s would make in a weekend?

If you're at stock clocks and voltages, Probably about $40 if you're just mining ETH or ETC, $50-60 if you're dual mining like Siacoin/Decred alongside.

1 minute ago, gent23mj said:

Thanks for the info on the coin farming.

Regarding video cards.  I found a 480 8gb for about 260.  But that will screw me when it comes to DX12 games in the future wont it?

if u found it at that price I would get it unless its a ref design, also it should do as fine dx12 as 580 i believe (better than 1060 too)

clicked on the link and it showed not available.  Probably just google shopping screw up.

My other option is to try to find two older cards and crossfire them lol.  >.<

Like maybe 2 460s

Does anyone know two cheaper amd cards that would yield 480/580 performance that could hold me over until I could get a better card?