Overwatch isn't good game for competetive.

Gameborn

I don't feel overwatch is good game for competetive. Game doesn't punish you for mistakes. Everything that happens if you die, you need just wait a few seconds. In mobas it's critical because it gives enemy gold, and respawn timers are long so enemy team may get an objective in that time. Cs go is more about pure aim, while in overwatch you can always pick pharah or hanzo and hit almost all your shots. Overwatch is good casual game, but not competetive

When FTFY is still a mistake...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, PatrickK said:

ftfy

Overwatch isn't a good game for competitive needs.

So don't play it? There are players who want to play a 1st person shooter but aren't "competitive"

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I respectfully disagree. Here are my responses:

9 minutes ago, Gameborn said:

Game doesn't punish you for mistakes

If you die at the beginning of a fight, a result from a mistake, (a very common result from bad positioning) then it is hard for your team to win it. If you loose 2 or 3 but don't get kills then you might as well abandon the push and regroup.

Everything that happens if you die, you need just wait a few seconds.

you just proved yourself wrong by giving a reason not to die:

and respawn timers are long so enemy team may get an objective in that time.

in overwatch you can always pick pharah or hanzo and hit almost all your shots.

idk about hitting almost all your shots on Hanzo. But whether you win the fight is the question, not whether you can hit people. Accuracy is pretty important for some heroes but the main goal in the game isn't to kill people. It's a team objective-based shooter. If your only goal is to kill people then play cod.

Strongly disagree, but if you feel that way, don't play.

In my opinion, your team is heavily punished for mistakes, even if you don't feel like you are personally punished for it.

If your healer is killed, it makes the rest of the team far more likely to be killed for the next 10-20 seconds.

If your tank is killed, the rest of your team is way more vulnerable for the next 10-20 seconds.

If your offence is killed, you're more likely to be over run until they respawn and get back into position.

All of these things make you more likely to lose a game.

On your Pharah and Hanzo (not sure why you think it's easy to aim as Hanzo, but I digress) comment, all the characters require a lot of skill to use effectively.

Sure aiming might be easier, but that really isn't the only aspect that's important in Overwatch.

Imo, they have the balance near perfect for competitive play.

47 minutes ago, Gameborn said:

I don't feel overwatch is good game for competetive. Game doesn't punish you for mistakes. Everything that happens if you die, you need just wait a few seconds. In mobas it's critical because it gives enemy gold, and respawn timers are long so enemy team may get an objective in that time. Cs go is more about pure aim, while in overwatch you can always pick pharah or hanzo and hit almost all your shots. Overwatch is good casual game, but not competetive

I kinda agree but everything lies on hero selection of your team and communication. You can make some pretty sick plays and win.

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

Well, you're not a pro, so it doesn't matter to you anyway.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

How can it not be competitive? Every game where you play against each other is competitive?

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

People so fixated on COMPETITIVE sides, and actually forget what it actually means.

The game is casual, it's type of game which easy to play hard to master.

The game mechanics doesn't define what games is competitive and what not.

It's like telling people CHESS is a competitive game, who play chess casually for wasting time

Any game can become competitive when someone think they are in competition with someone else to become better with it, even if it not designed to.

Eg: Tetris, people do speed run, time limit challenge, etc.

com·pet·i·tive
kəmˈpedədiv/
adjective
adjective: competitive
  1. 1.
    relating to or characterized by competition.
    "a competitive sport"
    synonyms: ruthless, aggressive, fierce; More
    informaldog-eat-dog, cutthroat
    "a highly competitive industry"
  2. 2.
    as good as or better than others of a comparable nature.

The competitive side of Overwatch destroy the fanbase. Friends have been getting it since sale and I've been reluctant since the fanbase is cancerous. When you turn a game into a chore, you ruin it.

I focus on stats where it matters--work. This equates to bonuses which equates to nicer check. Applying the same to video games is nerdy AF with no benefit besides sucking the fun out.

15 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

The competitive side of Overwatch destroy the fanbase. Friends have been getting it since sale and I've been reluctant since the fanbase is cancerous. When you turn a game into a chore, you ruin it.

I focus on stats where it matters--work. This equates to bonuses which equates to nicer check. Applying the same to video games is nerdy AF with no benefit besides sucking the fun out.

The grind tho...

5 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

The grind tho...

I think it would have been funnier if you posted this instead: 

8 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I feel the real debate here is not whether it is competitive, good pointers by some folks here practically cover all my reasons why OW is indeed a very skill based game at the highest level. I'd like to see an in depth response on why OW isn't competitive if there is any. The genre is not new since the concept basically stems from Team Fortress and that game is indeed competitive in every way that CSGO, LoL and Dota 2 are.

However, what should be discussed is probably the direction of competitive scene. Jeff and OW team all have been working with feedback from the community and they've done some great things to the game. But I feel like Blizzard as a whole hasn't done enough for a game with OW's potential. Back then when Starcraft 2 was a thing (yes yes i know dead game memes) and was at one point THE esports title to compete in, Blizzard just shrugged and essentially left the game to fester. Sure they gave updates, but that was after many months of debates and pushes from the pros, the community and the blizzard forums. You can look up the early period when Brood Lord Infestor was the main meta and you can see how much backlash Blizzard got for essentially not caring. So where is Starcraft now? Pretty much fallen off the radar.

From what I've seen, there are two main ways to push a game towards "esports". One is the Valve way where they essentially let the events run themselves and give financial support through the main "major" events and specific game updates. The other is how Riot does it with, fully controlling the ecosystem and running the competitive scene through themselves. Blizzard seems to have taken the Valve route, but a key aspect is monetary and in game support towards the events and updates to the game itself which I don't see the enough of the end result of. Look the previously mentioned games, Dota 2, CSGO, LoL, if there is a "World Championship" level tournament going on, if you had any following of the esports scene you would know about it. Names like GeT_RiGhT, F0rest, Faker, bjergsen, Dendi are all names you probably have heard of one way or another. For OW? The only real name I hear people talking about is NRG's Seagull, some don't even know he has basically stopped competing.

The argument can be said OW is still a young game. I agree, it is a young game. Names like Taimou and tournaments like the OGN Apex still need time to grow and mature. But with the direction Blizzard is so far showing, I think its going to to end up like Starcraft 2 without the part where it becomes a premier esports title.

What?

I think someone is just mad that they are losing...

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

On 6/7/2017 at 2:18 AM, Gameborn said:

Comparing MOBA and Overwatch isn't fair especially in the context you are doing. First off, MOBAs last for ~45 minutes? A competitive Overwatch match lasts around 15-20 minutes. Coins and passive buffs would not be well suited to the match length

Second, capture times in overwatch are only seconds whereas in MOBA taking out a tower can take 2-3 heroes a couple of minutes assuming there is a defense. 

You're comparing apples and oranges I'm afraid. I quite disagree overall - Overwatch is a good competitive game.... but it's not enjoyable to watch. Only to play. And I admit it's not perfect (but nor are MOBAs)

While it's perfectly reasonable to say it's not a good competitive game for you, it actually is a pretty good competitive game in general. It's well balanced, has a complex meta-game with a very interesting interlocking character offset system and is easy to understand (MOBAs miss this last point bad). It's quick to learn to play but takes a lot of time to understand nuances and master.

Why are you offending my lifestyle? (aka, playing Overwatch for 18 hours a day) /s

Do we really have to have this bs "hurr durr comp/not comp" debate again?

On 6/7/2017 at 2:18 AM, Gameborn said:

I don't feel overwatch is good game for competetive.

1) Game doesn't punish you for mistakes.

2) Everything that happens if you die, you need just wait a few seconds. In mobas it's critical because it gives enemy gold, and respawn timers are long so enemy team may get an objective in that time.

3) Cs go is more about pure aim, while in overwatch you can always pick pharah or hanzo and hit almost all your shots. Overwatch is good casual game, but not competetive

1) At lower elos, yes, it's definitely easier to get away with playing the flanking Roadhog. Note, at lower elos. At least in Masters or Grandmasters, the flanking Roadhog gets focused, the fight turns into a 5v6, and you lose the point. That's quite the punishment.

2) You're talking about a fast paced first person shooter, not a MOBA. While Overwatch has inspirations from MOBAs, it isn't a MOBA, so of course everything resets much more quickly. Also a few seconds to reset seems exaggerated. It usually take my teams 15-30 seconds to fully reset for the next fight.

3) There's a difference between a Pharah in Gold and a Pharah in Masters. Gold Pharahs can shoot an area and chip away at teams without healers, Master Pharahs have to nail two direct hits in a 1v1 or the Soldier or McCree will kill them. Hanzo is similar. If you want to play Hanzo at higher ranks, you need to nail every shot or you'll bleed SR like crazy.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

• 1 month later...

overwatch is a comp game, but the current meta is so unbalanced that the game lost any competetive aspect. Moreover, if you get placed in lower ranks it's immpossible to rank up. 

On 6/7/2017 at 3:18 AM, Gameborn said:

I don't feel overwatch is good game for competetive. Game doesn't punish you for mistakes. Everything that happens if you die, you need just wait a few seconds. In mobas it's critical because it gives enemy gold, and respawn timers are long so enemy team may get an objective in that time.

Overwatch is a fast-paced game. MOBA matches take 40-50 minutes to complete, so they need long respawn timers. Overwatch rounds take 5-10 minutes, so losing 30 seconds to respawn and group up is a serious disadvantage and it frequently costs your team the objective.

Cs go is more about pure aim, while in overwatch you can always pick pharah or hanzo and hit almost all your shots.

The best Hanzos in the world have 35-40% accuracy...

Overwatch is good casual game, but not competetive

I'm not sure if you mean it's not a good game for eSports viewing or whether it's not good for a competitive play. I agree that it's not much fun to watch tournaments, but I think the competitive play is fine. Toxic AF, but the play is fine.

1 minute ago, CyberFern0 said:

I'm a genji what about yall

tracer/mccree