nVidia does a thing - Computex SDR vs HDR monitor was rigged?

this isn't right

you don't go in the settings and make one monitor look worse than the other just because you want HDR to succeed - what the fuck where nVidia's PR people thinking -_-

I have a HDR TV and I have experienced HDR content (both movies and games), the current content is not worth it

Dmitry is right, HDR is in the eye of the beholder and so far I haven't been blown away by it - I'll go as far as say some HDR movies look worse

That is all opinions, for instance I say VR is not worth it, if someone wants to buy HDR 4k televisions for bragging rights and watch 720p cable content let'em do it [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

That is all opinions

That the settings on the monitor were tampered with, or that the image on a SDR monitor at optimal settings looks better than what they presented, aren't opinions. Those are the cold hard truth.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

16 minutes ago, zMeul said:

~snip. Can't snip the video on my phone for some reason~

...sends an SDR image of an HDR panel to our SDR monitors and asks us if we like HDR better... Clearly doesn't understand HDR...

In other news yeah. They crippled it. Since when is this new for display manufacturers or retailers? It may be shit but this is standard practice in the industry.

Also HDR displays are a big deal, but it's not something you can show on an SDR monitor. It's no different than trying to show the amazing black level benefits if AMOLED on an LCD monitor. The way he represents HDR in his video is just as misleading as Nvidia fucking with settings to exasterbate the differences of HDR.

Also keep in mind that HDR gaming and HDR movies are completely different beasts.

HDR movies are all about how they're mastered and edited. They're about giving the director more artistic license to get the feel they want.

HDR gaming is about displaying higher accuracy in information that's already been there in the games 16-128 bit HDR rendering pipeline since the mid-2000's with OpenGL 1.4 and DirectX 9.0. It's there to allow more realistic lighting and textures by preserving more fine detail, especially when combined with Physically Based Rendering techniques.

8 minutes ago, Energycore said:

That the settings on the monitor were tampered with, or that the image on a SDR monitor at optimal settings looks better than what they presented, aren't opinions. Those are the cold hard truth.

He checked both of the monitors' settings when he was at the demo?

Sorry, don't have time to watch the vid.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

He checked both of the monitors' settings when he was at the demo?

Sorry, don't have time to watch the vid.

I'll be honest. I was more busy doing his "do a push up every time I say HDR" challenge rather than listening hard to the video xD

But from what I could gather Dmitry had the same monitor in office or he checked the monitor settings at the presentation, either or, and he could say for sure that the settings were changed from stock (gamma was reduced for instance)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

If this is true its kinda messed up.... I will however say its pretty similar to Samsung (i think others do it too) displaying there own demo content to sell their tv even though realistically, nothing will look that good on it since not everything is made specifically for that tv like the demo.

40 minutes ago, Energycore said:

The first part of that statement is likely a fact, the second is literally an opinion

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

...sends an SDR image of an HDR panel to our SDR monitors and asks us if we like HDR better... Clearly doesn't understand HDR...

How else would he be able to make his point? The camera is there to simulate our viewing to bring about a comparison in the image quality. He's demonstrating relative viewing experiences, not absolute.

It's most likely not just Nvidia though. He only found this out because Nvidia let him check the settings. AMD, Asus and Acer did not let him check settings, so it's possible they were all cheating too.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I think the main problem was the game itself. It's great that the skys/backgrounds are clearer and more defined (you can make out more details in either very bright or very dark spots), but the foreground is just a mess. Lots of detailed shading that is actually hard to see and is very dark.

57 minutes ago, CyberneticTitan said:

How else would he be able to make his point? The camera is there to simulate our viewing to bring about a comparison in the image quality. He's demonstrating relative viewing experiences, not absolute.

That's my whole point. My point is that you can't compare relative viewing experiences of monitors superior to your monitor on your monitor...

Any video of a monitor to show off "ooh look what a great image this monitor has!" is inherently flawed because even the relative comparison between the two will be highly dependent on your existing monitor.

Monster cables used to do this all the time (probably still do).   Demonstrating how good their component cables are while using s-video for the competition.  Lying and fraud is what it is.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Are you serious? Are you not able to see a difference between them in the video? 

Ofc we don't get the full experience by this but we still get to see the differences. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

To be fair, the HDR implementation in Mass Effect Andromeda is pretty bad. Also how is the demo setup up? The game has to render these things from the get go, so for that demo to work, it has to be 2 different systems showing the exact same scene. Maybe that's what they did, but I can't see that in the video.

Also bear in mind that many "HDR" tv's are not actually HDR. They are more similar to HD ready tv's back in the days. Remember those? So the contrast might not be high enough, and the colours might not be properly wide colour gamut. With all of that, you still need the source material to be proper HDR. If any point in the chain doesn't support or is correctly set up to HDR, the end result will not be proper HDR.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

Are you serious? Are you not able to see a difference between them in the video? 

Ofc we don't get the full experience by this but we still get to see the differences. 

If the HDR signal uses wide colour gamut using the correct look up table, everything from recording with a camera, to editing, to uploading on youtube, to you playing it back on an SDR monitor, will have completely wrong colours. SO those faded reds he is talking about might simply be a wrong look up table. You won't know by watching the video.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

5 hours ago, Energycore said:

But from what I could gather Dmitry had the same monitor in office or he checked the monitor settings at the presentation, either or, and he could say for sure that the settings were changed from stock (gamma was reduced for instance)

If I understood it right what he claimed was that Nvidia 'calibrated' the brightness, contrast, and gamma on the SDR monitor in a non-optimal way that negatively exaggerated the differences between the two.  

These settings were different from the factory defaults so he assumes they did so to mislead attendees.

Since he said he checked THEIR monitor settings I'd have to assume that he did so at the presentation, you can't really check somebody else's monitor settings on your own monitor.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

56 minutes ago, mvitkun said:

If I understood it right what he claimed was that Nvidia 'calibrated' the brightness, contrast, and gamma on the SDR monitor in a non-optimal way that negatively exaggerated the differences between the two.  

These settings were different from the factory defaults so he assumes they did so to mislead attendees.

Since he said he checked THEIR monitor settings I'd have to assume that he did so at the presentation, you can't really check somebody else's monitor settings on your own monitor.

Reading your post, I am having trouble accepting that there are people out there judging how a picture might look on another monitor based on how they see it on theirs.  However I did just see a video recently of a gentlemen who took a spirit level on a plane to prove the earth was flat, so yeah, people not so good with the critical thinking.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Not to defend Nvidia. But my guess, is that they did this so that when people comes with their non-HDR camera to film the comparison and it is viewed by our non-HDR monitors, it doesn't appear like shit.

Like this:

Which I have the same problem when taking a picture or filming my monitor, which isn't HDR, but is wide gamut monitor (which HDR requires to show more color details).  The reason is that the camera isn't wide gamut, it is standard gamut for sRGB color space which most people have. Beside the camera, the monitor by people watch on isn't HDR either. Not to mention video codec used. In my case, I can alleviate the problem by setting my problem to sRGB mode.. but I can't go "Look how better it looks/compare", as it will look worse on camera, but in reality it looks better.

20 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Reading your post, I am having trouble accepting that there are people out there judging how a picture might look on another monitor based on how they see it on theirs.  However I did just see a video recently of a gentlemen who took a spirit level on a plane to prove the earth was flat, so yeah, people not so good with the critical thinking.

Honestly I think his video is valid, yet to be seen how accurate his claims are, but you have to keep in mind that the image you see is not an accurate representation of what he's describing.

In other words his point would have been made equally well even if he hadn't referenced the footage.  

Anytime somebody compares/describes/reviews something like VRR (G-Sync/FreeSync) or HDR the credibility of the review depends entirely on the reviewer's own credibility. 

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

1 minute ago, mvitkun said:

Honestly I think his video is valid but you have to keep in mind that the image you see is not an accurate representation of what he's describing.

In other words his point would have been made equally well even if he hadn't referenced the footage.  

Anytime somebody compares/describes/reviews something like VRR (G-Sync/FreeSync) or HDR the credibility of the review depends entirely on the reviewer's own credibility. 

I get that, it was the thought that people actually need to be told not to judge a monitor based on how it looks through their own on a video that threw me.

3 minutes ago, mvitkun said:

Honestly I think his video is valid but you have to keep in mind that the image you see is not an accurate representation of what he's describing.

Same problem back in 2008-09 days when "affordable" IPS monitor that you can say is "game ready" was a thing (and not reserved for the professional space due to the high response time and cost) and you are trying to explain how good it is over TN panels. You can't show them.