rumor has it both nVidia and AMD arel preparing dedicated crypto currency mining cards

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Damn :(

I am sure you'd buy a dedicated GPU from Intel in a heart beat xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

6 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I am sure you'd buy a dedicated GPU from Intel in a heart beat xD

Nah, I am an Nvidia fan, but I would consider buying it if it performed well and was blue :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

The thing with miners is, they spent a bunch on the video cards. Mine with it, so they basically get the money back. Basically they got those video cards for free and then they sell if for profit. Nvidia and amd should add some controller into their cards, so it can't be used for mining. It's annoying not being able to find a video card you want, when you're doing a build or need one cause your old one died. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

30 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Nvidia and amd should add some controller into their cards, so it can't be used for mining.

They are businesses not your friend. A sale is a sale, this could only hurt them, why on Earth would either of them do this?

EDIT: For example the 580 is the best card to buy for a quick return because its in the price tier of the 1060 with the compute performance near that of a 1070. They are all sold out, literally as fast as AMD can make them. Which from their perspective is great news and a steady stream of income.

19 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

They are businesses not your friend. A sale is a sale, this could only hurt them, why on Earth would either of them do this?

EDIT: For example the 580 is the best card to buy for a quick return because its in the price tier of the 1060 with the compute performance near that of a 1070. They are all sold out, literally as fast as AMD can make them. Which from their perspective is great news and a steady stream of income.

I know they are a business. They should do something about it, so those who really need a video card can have a chance to buy one. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

20 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

They should do something about it, so those who really need a video card can have a chance to buy one. 

Again why should they? They are selling their product faster than they can make them, they don't give a flying fuck who is buying it. Welcome to the world of business.

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Again why should they? They are selling their product faster than they can make them, they don't give a flying fuck who is buying it. Welcome to the world of business.

So those computer shops that does custom builds aren't a business then? They need video cards too for their builds so they can sell it to their customers.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

So those computer shops that does custom builds aren't a business then? They need video cards too for their builds so they can sell it to their customers.

*le sigh* Yes they are businesses that buy the GPU. I don't what your point is. I'm talking about AMD/Nvidia. It doesn't mean jack shit to them if you buy their gpu, a business buys their gpu or a miner buys their gpu. At the manufacturer level a sale is a sale. the manufacturers don't care if your local shop doesn't have a GPU they are selling their stock either way.

It filters down too. For example the computer shop you mentioned doesn't care who you are or why you want it they just want to sell you the computer because from a business perspective a sale is a sale.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

if you live in the US, sure

but EVGA is not something widely available internationally and most of the times there's a mark-up

and 2ndly, EVGA themselves have produced some shit - specifically the Pascal fiasco

I live in EU, and I had no problem with sending my GPU back and getting new one.

Yes I know there was problem with Pascal ACX 3.0 coolers, and VRM overheating. They offered RMA to all those cards free of charge and they fixed the problem very fast.

Anyway you can use Pascal "gaming" GPUs for mining and then just selling them as used hardware without any problems. At least those are my experiences.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

*le sigh* Yes they are businesses that buy the GPU. I don't what your point is. I'm talking about AMD/Nvidia. It doesn't mean jack shit to them if you buy their gpu, a business buys their gpu or a miner buys their gpu. At the manufacturer level a sale is a sale. the manufacturers don't care if your local shop doesn't have a GPU they are selling their stock either way.

It filters down too. For example the computer shop you mentioned doesn't care who you are or why you want it they just want to sell you the computer because from a business perspective a sale is a sale.

Well then from a business perspective, can't make any damn sales on their systems, cause a bunch of miners who can't look for some fucking real jobs, gobble up all the video cards that's out there.

This happened a while back during the R9-200 days and it was annoying as hell, not only for computer businesses, but also for individuals that really need a video card.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Well then from a business perspective, can't make any damn sales on their systems, cause a bunch of miners who can't look for some fucking real jobs, gobble up all the video cards that's out there.

This happened a while back during the R9-200 days and it was annoying as hell, not only for computer businesses, but also for individuals that really need a video card.

I'm not denying that its annoying for the reasons mentioned. I'm saying at the end of the day the product is still selling and it is not up to the manufacturer to care who they sell to. The best a business can hope for is for their product to fly immediately off the shelves. If you sell a product as soon as you make it then that's a nice steady income stream for AMD which I am sure they are happy about. Which is why neither Nvidia or AMD will gimp their cards to prevent mining (which was the original thing I quoted you on).

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

no one in their right mind buys cards that were used for mining

Can some one explain wuts wrong with card used for mining? As far as i know, it puts shiit ton of work on it and let it run 24/7. But with a descent cooling i dont see it will wear off the hardware that much except the fan?

3 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

To be worth it these cards need to be heavily discounted.

That's not exactly what Nvidia did with Tesla...

Special GPUs for computational purposes aren't new, although they may be specific tweaks for mining. And they've always come at a price premium...

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That's not exactly what Nvidia did with Tesla...

Special GPUs for computational purposes aren't new, although they may be specific tweaks for mining. And they've always come at a price premium...

Yes but the point of this (if it is even true) would be to get miners off the gaming cards to free up stock. To get them off the gaming cards you need to offer something much better at mining or something much cheaper than the gaming card. Otherwise for reasons I stated on the 1st page they will just buy the gaming card for its warranty and resale value.

9 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

Can some one explain wuts wrong with card used for mining? As far as i know, it puts shiit ton of work on it and let it run 24/7. But with a descent cooling i dont see it will wear off the hardware that much except the fan?

Nothing. Some like zMeul are "special" but the reason people wouldn't knowingly buy a card previously used for mining is because it has been ran so hard for so long so they assume it has less life left in it. Also if you read some zMeul responses they apparently set fire too!

Yeah well not worth it here in Germany. 23 cents per kW/h is an absolute ripoff

7 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

intel-knights-landing-xeon-phi-100630231

?

You'd need to code the programs to run on that as the card itself already runs a version of Linux for itself. It'd be a pain to use anyway, and wouldn't net much as it only has 57-61 cores (with quad hyperthreading), and that's a tiny amount when you compare it to say an RX 580, which has 2304.
So basically, Nvidia's going to sell 'cheap' Teslas? And is AMD going to bring back FireStream?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 hour ago, Devin92 said:

I think it's usually the caps that go, since those do tend to degrade from use. Still, it's unlikely unless you also mine on it.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Assuming they do make these lower cost cards without displays, does anyone think it's possible to use them for a Crossfire/SLI configuration?  After all, you don't need video out for the second card.  Unless they strip that functionality out of the mining cards.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

Assuming they do make these lower cost cards without displays, does anyone think it's possible to use them for a Crossfire/SLI configuration?  After all, you don't need video out for the second card.  Unless they strip that functionality out of the mining cards.

Everything is guess work right now but I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia put in a software limitation and AMD choose not to just for the sales and good PR.

Look at everything AMD has been doing lately, cheap, good performance and top notch features.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

100% them cards will have ugly green pcb and some el cheapo 2 prong fan on it without PWM that blast at 9000rpm. No wonder for the puny 90 day warranty.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

*sigh* Try a 90 day warranty in Australia you pricks, see how far that gets you.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

*sigh* Try a 90 day warranty in Australia you pricks, see how far that gets you.

Don't know. how far?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

6 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Don't know. how far?

The courts.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

They don't have to offer them for sale in a lot of countries. Even if they'll end up there. :P