Apple announces HomePod a smart MUSIC speaker

THeEmpire.01
Just now, Kierax said:

Still enjoying Andromeda at 4k?

lmao dude saw my post on the mass effect reddit. 

No I'm playing through the Witcher 3 again. Andromeda is stunning but its actually a terrible game aside from its looks. Not going to lie, when I made that post I actually was amazed at how it looked because it was the first game I saw in HDR and 4k maxed out on my new 1080ti. 

9 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

that is a very nice setup. The most I probably will ever be able to spend is about what a pair for Martin Logan Motion 15's cost which is about 2600$ here in Denmark....

Yep M50x's are bad, really bad. The M50s were my first "proper" headphone (I fell for the hype), but damn I regret buying them. They are just bad.

Wow. The motion 15s are $800 per pair in the US. 

I was tempted to ask where you got the Witcher 3 pictures on the wall.  However my only Reddit account is a prank joke account, so was out of character :D 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Just now, Kierax said:

I was tempted to ask where you got the Witcher 3 pictures on the wall.  However my only Reddit account is a prank joke account, so was out of character :D 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/466000859/framed-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-geralt-of?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=witcher 3 canvas&ref=sc_gallery_1&plkey=ecc2502ae98a873108b014724f7352551485c3a0:466000859

You can choose between 1-5 pieces of canvas. The 5 is $150 and the 1 is $50. There are a few other designs, but my fiance and I both consider the Witcher 3 to be the greatest game on the planet so it was an easy choice to get good old Geralt up there. 

2 minutes ago, NickTheMajin said:

Wow. The motion 15s are $800 per pair in the US. 

per speaker or for a set? I meant 2600$ for a set. Plus Denmark is generally very overpriced when it comes to audio gear

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

per speaker or for a set? I meant 2600$ for a set. Plus Denmark is generally very overpriced when it comes to audio gear

Set. https://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/models/bookshelf.php

I know this because the 15s are what I have been eyeing for my rears. The perfect size. Not too small so as to not keep up with my front stage, but not too big so as to look imposing. 

Just now, NickTheMajin said:

Set. https://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/models/bookshelf.php

I know this because the 15s are what I have been eyeing for my rears. The perfect size. Not too small so as to not keep up with my front stage, but not too big so as to look imposing. 

derp, I looked at an insanely overprice site, they are about 1340$ for a set here. I actually don't want big floor speakers, because I think they look out of place and ofc women generally don't like to have a big pair of speakers in the living room. So a nice good bookshelf speaker is what I like and want :D 

I am probably getting the 15s or a pair of Quad Z-2s, but that is a couple of years into the future.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

8 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

derp, I looked at an insanely overprice site, they are about 1340$ for a set here. I actually don't want big floor speakers, because I think they look out of place and ofc women generally don't like to have a big pair of speakers in the living room. So a nice good bookshelf speaker is what I like and want :D 

I am probably getting the 15s or a pair of Quad Z-2s, but that is a couple of years into the future.

I realized that my fiance was the right woman when she said she wanted a center channel electrostatic speaker for our setup :D

For what its worth, I went to an audio show awhile back where Martin Logan was showcasing their motion line and they had the small little Motion 4s in front of their entry level ESL panels and turned them on. Most in the audience thought the sound was coming out of the bigger panels. 

Definitely was not the best environment to test the speakers in, but a pretty good indication as to how Martin Logan handles their products. They don't release anything unless its at least great. Nothing cheap sounding. If it has a Martin Logan logo on it, you're sure its quality. I got to speak to a few of their employees there too that work in their HQ in Kansas and it was like talking to the brewers at a craft brewery. So much pride for their products. 

1 hour ago, NickTheMajin said:

I dont think you can get hi fi with headphones but that's just me. The only thing that fucking triggers me is when people call the god fucking awful ath m50s hi fi. Those are the headphones for the tech nerds who think they're better than the people who buy beats, when in reality they sound just as bad and aren't as comfortable. 

Sorry, but if you think the M50 sounds as bad as beats then your hearing must be damaged beyond repair. 

graphCompare.png.91a31a163e9ce7ae57797a327dcbdda4.png

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Sorry, but if you think the M50 sounds as bad as beats then your hearing must be damaged beyond repair. 

graphCompare.png.91a31a163e9ce7ae57797a327dcbdda4.png

We've found the m50 fanboy everyone!

Realistically, no. I've barely listened to either. I probably have about an hour total listening on a pair of Beats Studios and an hour on my ex girlfriends ATH m50s in total. Both sounded like crap, except the beats studios were more comfortable. The m50s felt like they were clamping down on the sides of my face and creating a strong uncomfortable suction seal. I would like to know which "Monster Beats by Dr. Dre" headphones those are though since there are massive differences between the Studio 1 and Studio 2s. For example, Tyll, a big guy over on headfi likes the Studio 2s and disdained the Studio 1s. 

Personally I have a pair of Sennheiser 800s and a pair of Bowers and Wilkins p7s depending on if I am at home or going out. Admittedly I rarely use the Sennheisers anymore. 

21 minutes ago, NickTheMajin said:

I realized that my fiance was the right woman when she said she wanted a center channel electrostatic speaker for our setup :D

For what its worth, I went to an audio show awhile back where Martin Logan was showcasing their motion line and they had the small little Motion 4s in front of their entry level ESL panels and turned them on. Most in the audience thought the sound was coming out of the bigger panels. 

Definitely was not the best environment to test the speakers in, but a pretty good indication as to how Martin Logan handles their products. They don't release anything unless its at least great. Nothing cheap sounding. If it has a Martin Logan logo on it, you're sure its quality. I got to speak to a few of their employees there too that work in their HQ in Kansas and it was like talking to the brewers at a craft brewery. So much pride for their products. 

well that is nice to know, my own GF doesn't mind audio products as long as they look good and has a clean design to them.

Think I might go with some Motion 15's then, they don't cost too much and they have a nice clean design, but I should probably also upgrade my receiver to a better integrated amp or receiver.

As you can see my speaker setup isn't the best, a rather bad sub, okay speakers for the price and an okay receiver for the price, nothing special but gets the job done for now and looks nice.

But first I will upgrade my headphone setup, with a corda classic headphone amp and a pair of HD 800's, not HD800s (i like the older version the most), maybe later an RME ADI 2 pro. After that, I will start looking into my speaker setup, plus I need to move before it makes sense for me to buy sp expensive speakers.

6 minutes ago, NickTheMajin said:

SNIP 

I think they fixed the clamping force with M50x's, but the sound is the same. They sound good when you are new to this, but then you train your ears and try better headphones and you just start to notice everything the M50/x's does wrong. I would say their strongest point is prob the deep bass, the rest is just eh or bad. Plus the headband and pads wear down fast....

6 minutes ago, NickTheMajin said:

We've found the m50 fanboy everyone!

Nope, I don't even own a pair of M50s. I got a pair of AKG K702 that I absolutely love (despite their flaws).

I'm just stating facts. The M50s are objectively not bad in terms of sound quality. Sure they won't be as good as a 15000 dollar pair of speakers, but nobody in their right mind expects that either.

The Apple speaker seems a TAD overpriced, I must say. Since it's main competition, the Echo, is so much lower. For people that just want a wireless speaker and like Apple this would be an option.

On the topic of Hi-Fi stuff, I would never consider thousands of euros worth of audio equipment, I just stick to the level where things are good enough for me to never notice anything lacking. For me that's the Phillips Fidelio X2 right now. I just don't have the income for that sort of stuff, more than anything. If I had that cash it would go to a car or a home.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Marketing: We need the ultimate smart home assistant that can control everythng and sounds amazeing.

Engineer: You know, AI is hard and Siri hasn't made real progress for years. And a good speaker needs a lot of volume and can be expensive.

Marketing: But we are Apple, we can...

Engineer: ... we sell overpriced stuff and the people love it. Seriousely I don't know why.

Marketing: What can you offer me for 30$ production cost?

Engineer: A somewhat ok speaker and Siri with a bit additional knowledge of music.

Marketing: Ok, I take that, but we better sell it a wonderful speaker with a bit AI. Even the fanbodys will realize it is no so smart.

Engineer: Ok

.... now prove to me this conversation didn't happen

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

On 6/6/2017 at 3:44 PM, Dackzy said:

hah hi-fi my ass. At best this shit is going to be low mid-fi, but prob just going to be lo-fi.

Lofi is a type of music lol. Anyway, apple have made some pretty good sounding speakers on their products i.e iPhones and Macs. While I'm no apple fanby and have never owned one of their products I believe that it will sound pretty good. 349 dollars good? No, but still not awful like you're suggesting.

3 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

Lofi is a type of music lol. Anyway, apple have made some pretty good sounding speakers on their products i.e iPhones and Macs. While I'm no apple fanby and have never owned one of their products I believe that it will sound pretty good. 349 dollars good? No, but still not awful like you're suggesting.

well yeah, but here it means low fidelity, which means it isn't very detailed and the quality of the audio isn't that great. For the average Joe, It is by no means awful. Lo-fi is the entry level stuff that is often also cheap, you can go below that and then you meet the really awful stuff. I don't think there really is a term for the stuff below lo-fi.

Just now, Dackzy said:

well yeah, but here it means low fidelity, which means it isn't very detailed and the quality of the audio isn't that great. For the average Joe, It is by no means awful. Lo-fi is the entry level stuff that is often also cheap, you can go below that and then you meet the really awful stuff. I don't think there really is a term for the stuff below lo-fi.

There is a term beyond the crapiness of Lofi. We don't tend to speak about it as it's deeply offensive to any who respect audio. It's called Old Dell Laptop Speakers.

1 minute ago, IAR117 said:

There is a term beyond the crapiness of Lofi. We don't tend to speak about it as it's deeply offensive to any who respect audio. It's called Old Dell Laptop Speakers.

nice one! The audio world is filled with terms and a lot of terms are just there to piss off other people, like "warmfag" which means your gear has a warm sound and you enjoy that type of sound, but ofc as the internet goes you gotta make it sound offensive and it gotta be used as an offensive term.....

Just now, Dackzy said:

nice one! The audio world is filled with terms and a lot of terms are just there to piss off other people, like "warmfag" which means your gear has a warm sound and you enjoy that type of sound, but ofc as the internet goes you gotta make it sound offensive and it gotta be used as an offensive term.....

I dunno how I'm gonna use Crappy Old Dell Laptop Speakers as an insult, but hey I'll make it work :P

26 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

lmao lost it when i read that.