Ghetto-mounted GPU cooling

So my graphics card (Radeon 3870) runs pretty hot, and it normally takes manually adjusting fan settings in SpeedFan to keep it below 50. I was getting sick of this, so I went to see if I had a fan with a 3-4 pin connector anywhere. I didn't, but I did have a proprietary Dell 5-pin fan. So I just stuck it in my case, jumpered the red and black wires to 5V and GND on an Arduino respectively, wired a USB power cable for the Arduino through the back of the case, and put the panel back on. It already seems to be making a difference, but will this actually improve performance at all?

File 6-6-17, 5 31 13 pm.jpeg

Wont improve performance any, just help prevent it from thermal throttling which would impede it (Wouldn't do that until about 90c though). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

1 minute ago, rn8686 said:

Wont improve performance any, just help prevent it from thermal throttling which would impede it (Wouldn't do that until about 90c though). 

Ok, well, I guess that's worth it.

might bring temps down a small amount but thats about it, it wont be getting any additional preformance if its already staying at 50C

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016