UnRAID - NAS/CCTV Questions (Linux/Win)

Hey all,

I have been using an intel G3528 as the brain for my current NAS setup. Its connected to 2 sets of mirrored 3TB HGST Deskstar 7200rpm drives as well as a 128GB SSD Boot Disk and 128GB download disk (old and punished SSD). This is running Ubuntu 17.04 with access through samba shares.

I have been setting up a wired Cat6 LAN network in my house as well as beginning to buy a bunch of 4MP POE cameras to use for a CCTV setup with BlueIris. I will have at the minimum 3 CCTV cameras as of next week with an expansion to probably 6-7 in the future (my POE switch has 8 ports ;) ).

I have read that for a setup such as what I'm looking at I will most likely need to use a better CPU. My gaming system at present has a 4790K and my android build PC has a 5820K. I still run builds, probably not as much as I used to, but was thinking of maybe using my 4790K with UnRAID, splitting 1 core&thread to NAS duties and the other 3cores&threads to CCTV duties.

Will I be leaving myself short with NAS duties if i run this route?
Should I just throw my 5820K in the system instead?

If i setup UnRAID will I have to reformat all of my storage disks again?
I was thinking of picking up another drive and using another spare SSD i have lying around for CCTV cache and somewhat long term storage (Or am i missing something that I wont be able to confirgure?)
Should I pick up an add in NIC for dedicated LAN access to each VM?

Thanks all.

I mean I don't see why you have a android computer, unless it's very limited on resources, then I don't see why you couldn't use the 5820k, would be great imo.

The geek himself.

7 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

I mean I don't see why you have a android computer, unless it's very limited on resources, then I don't see why you couldn't use the 5820k, would be great imo.

Not an android computer... its a build computer for dev work

Id try your current cpu, there is a good chance that will be fine

32 minutes ago, Joshndroid said:

If i setup UnRAID will I have to reformat all of my storage disks again?

yea, but id stay away from unraid and use proxmox instead personally. Or ubuntu works just fine.

33 minutes ago, Joshndroid said:

I was thinking of picking up another drive and using another spare SSD i have lying around for CCTV cache and somewhat long term storage (Or am i missing something that I wont be able to confirgure?)

should work fine, ssd won't help much here. A hdd will be fine.

33 minutes ago, Joshndroid said:

Should I pick up an add in NIC for dedicated LAN access to each VM?

no use, the vswitch works fine. You don't need to be network limited(and even then deticated ports don't really help, id look at teaming or 10gbe instead.