Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jaypro

Surface Book Performance Base Interchangeability?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm looking at a local listing for a Surface Book, but the configuration seems odd.

The listing says the specs are

i5, 8gb ram, 256gb top

965m bottom

However, from my research it looks like this was never offered as a possible configuration.  As far as I can tell, the i5 model with dedicated gpu was only offered with the custom 940m

So I'm wondering, if the performance bases are interchangeable and the seller actually has mixed two surface books?  Or somehow managed to trick Windows into thinking the GPU is actually a 965M?  What does the 940m variant show up as in Windows, since they marketed it as 'Custom Nvidia GPU'.  How should I check if the actual performance base is indeed a 965m?  I believe the 965m base is thicker than the 940m, should i just take a ruler or is there an easy way to spot the physical difference?

Yes, they are interchangeable.

965M base has a visible bulge with a very noticeably larger vent: (edit, pic didn't work)

surface_book_i7_vents_rear-100692377-large.jpg

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL GPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

MY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz and pushing | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU HD 4600 (no heavy gaming on this rig!) | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" 2560x1080 Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

2017 Audi Q7 | iPhone Xs Max | Apple Watch Series 3 42mm | 2018 MacBook Pro 15" [i7/560X/16GB/256GB] | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | Xbox One [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | Sony WH-1000XM3 | Jaybird Freedom (x2) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]