Apple Updates its Mac lineup: External GPU support, Kaby lake and a new iMac Pro

i missed any mention of the mac mini. the mac mini is the only mac I would want to buy. I was hoping they would bring out a proper PC instead of all this AIO stuff

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i missed any mention of the mac mini. the mac mini is the only mac I would want to buy. I was hoping they would bring out a proper PC instead of all this AIO stuff

I believe that the more tradition tower comes out next year. Depending on Apple's stance on upgradeability (more accurately, letting me chose if I want ECC and a Xeon, or if I want some Veangence LPX and a 7700K/7800K, etc.), price, initial hardware choice, and how they treat their competition, I might actually buy an Apple product next year so that I have a proper Unix based system as well as my lil i3 Ubuntu Alpha R1, and my custom Windows builds.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

35 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

I'll be getting this Mac since I won't have to worry about viruses,

That's not exactly true....Macs can/do get viruses too. 

31 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I'm also kind of sad there was no Mac Mini. Not that I would get one for myself as I have no use for one, but I'd seriously consider getting one for my mom (although new or old doesn't make much of a difference in that regard).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Dunno what's more hilarious, the hardcore Apple haters or the salty Apple fanboys that must religiously defend looool

9 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

A PC is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Workstation hardware means nothing if it cannot maintain its speeds due to throttling, I cant get plenty of thunderbolt ports on a pc, a 960 is just as fast and faster in most cases, Its not the best monitor you can buy. Cant argue about it being beautiful though

Yeah this has workstation hardware and a vega (bottom tier starting) GPU but that is not the top end hardware and you are already spending $5000. Meanwhile, even the PC built earlier in this thread can out perform this with a 1080ti for a grand less even though it was just a throw something together build and you could go cheaper from their. Starting price is just too much and I cannot imagine the cost of the top model.

How do you know that it throttles?

No, you can't get plenty of TB ports on Windows. As far as I've seen 2 seems to be the max and eGPU support is still very flaky

Show me a better monitor then? I don't know what could be better than 1 27", 5K, 10-bit, Wide P3 Gamut, 500 nit brightness

You start using workstation grade hardware like xeons, ecc, etc price will increase three folds

You guys still don't get the difference between consumer and workstation grade hardware amd you seem to be LTT fans. It's kinda stupid

6 hours ago, suits said:

I like how if you don't think these new iMacs are worth it it's because you're a childish Mac hater. I have my MacBook Pro sitting right next to me. 

That's what every Apple hater says these days now

6 hours ago, suits said:

I just think these iMacs are overpriced. Especially with adobe suite and other creation products now working as well or better on pc. I can't stand working on photoshop on my MacBook or iMac anymore because the pc version just works so much smoother. 

No it doesn't. Adobe products have been garbage on Windows and it still is (from experience). Can't speak about the Mac, but I do know that Final Cut is so much better. You probably have much higher spec'd Windows PC if you actually experience slow downs

6 hours ago, suits said:

I like macos a lot. I don't ever see myself switching from doing audio stuff on Mac. But apple just charges too much for hardware these days. 

The MBP is a bit overpriced, I agree. But the refreshed iMacs and iMac Pro are a pretty sweet deal if you actually realize what you get with it. Sure it's expensive, but it is not overpriced

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Macs do get malware infections but only a handful exists in the wild. I haven't heard of any computer viruses (malicious code that self replicates) in the wild on the Mac. Most I think are adware and Trojans just like that Mac Defender Trojan back in 2011. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Did they actually downgrade their most basic MacBook Pro model? I thought all Apple laptops started at 256 GB of storage since their refresh. Screenshot_20170606-091613.thumb.png.5d84f895ba814c360783d2dbd0231d7a.png

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

15 minutes ago, patrick3027 said:

Did they actually downgrade their most basic MacBook Pro model? I thought all Apple laptops started at 256 GB of storage since their refresh. Screenshot_20170606-091613.thumb.png.5d84f895ba814c360783d2dbd0231d7a.png

not really they just replaced their base model which had the old chasis and a 128gb ssd with the new chasis and the new SSD which is faster.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

The specs look really good, just not the price, but that's Apple for you.  I'm surprised they're giving support for external GPUs.

Being brutally honest, I'm wondering how it will handle thermals once it comes out.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

13 hours ago, ResidentRad said:

Okay understood, you're just gonna hate the Apple product no matter what.

You should care. The Studio has no USB-C and NO THUNDERBOLT 3. Its a dead weight for future upgrades or expandability. 

The iMac Pro is actually using WORKSTATION hardware, not consumer nonsense. I don't know how you can say the iMac Pro is overpriced. Start pricing out 5K monitors and SSDs and Vega cards and ECC memory and  10Gb NICs and everything else a pro would actually give a shit to use. I swear, you fanboys are something else

Sure its workstation hardware. But the thing is the average professional user that wants to do content creation (photographers, designers, editors, etc) wants displays without the glass to combat glare and then on top of that the iMac's 5K display supports something like 78% of the Adobe RGB spectrum? Good luck with that.

SSDs continue to go down in price so its not really a concern when pricing out a machine. ECC memory? WHY? The average user, professional or not, will be just fine with standard ram. 10Gb NICs aren't exceptionally expensive either, not to mention that if they give a shit about using it, then they have majority of data stored on a network location, so SSDs aren't going to need to be at the massive capacities that the iMac Pro is touting.

Vega cards? No clue on pricing yet, but much like the video Linus did regarding the r9 in the iMac these cards get throttled quite often due to heat. The iMac has never been stellar at cooling. Do I think this new machine will do better at cooling due to the all solid state architecture and 2 fans? Yes. Will it be as good as a standalone card with its own cooling solution or a liquid solution? No way. 

My biggest problem with the iMac Pro is that its just this weird stopgap while Apple figures out the actual Mac Pro and its also horribly non-serviceable by the user. 

I don't think the studio is a good machine either.

2 hours ago, Paragon_X said:

not really they just replaced their base model which had the old chasis and a 128gb ssd with the new chasis and the new SSD which is faster.

Nope, I'm pretty sure the 2016 new chassis base model had a 256 GB SSD. Anandtech agrees. Screenshot_20170606-092613.thumb.png.a9590787f75ba73e975c574a3fc64b70.png

But hey, at least they had the courage to think different I guess. Less is more after all (except when pricing is concerned). 

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Well this is not a highly aggressive forum at all. Everybody chill.............., Or not.

2 hours ago, THeEmpire.01 said:

Well this is not a highly aggressive forum at all. Everybody chill.............., Or not.

THIS IS NOT A HIGHLY AGGRESSIVE FORUM!!!!!!!!!!1111111

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

6 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Dunno what's more hilarious, the hardcore Apple haters or the salty Apple fanboys that must religiously defend looool

Not exactly funny, just outright shocking, is that I'll defend the iMac Pro to an extent.

6 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Sure it's expensive, but it is not overpriced

It's overpriced, all AiO are. It's the tax people pay for AiO. For what you're getting on paper, it's not a huge offender.

6 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Understanding laws of thermodynamics, history, and understanding the size constraint AiO have. What we don't know is how hard it will throttle. If it just means taking 100MHz off of the stock clock at high load, no big deal. If the clockrate is halfed under light load, and the iMac Pro is outperformed using weaker parts of the same grade, then it's a huge deal and any Windows/Linux workstation with said lesser hardware is a better proposition if one doesn't explicitly need OSX.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'm also kind of sad there was no Mac Mini. Not that I would get one for myself as I have no use for one, but I'd seriously consider getting one for my mom (although new or old doesn't make much of a difference in that regard).

It was a joke... 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

Black mac looks great. Kind of like the old black macs but this time the whole thing is black or "space grey" even.

Pretty good looking spec too. That chassis is nuts. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

7 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Sure it's expensive, but it is not overpriced

It is overpriced, you are paying quite a bit more for the hardware you're getting.

7 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

The heatsink looks like it is slightly bigger than a Nvidia FE heatsink, but it has to cool a 140-200W CPU and a 200-250W GPU at the same time, there is no way that the CPU and the GPU will not thermal throttle.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, Jito463 said:

I wondered if you weren't joking when I read it, but there are still people who believe that.

If you don't want to get viruses just use Linux or something xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

10 hours ago, Drak3 said:

proper Unix based system

Just curious, in your opinion, how is OSX a proper Unix-based system? Proper compared to what?

1 minute ago, Masken said:

Just curious, in your opinion, how is OSX a proper Unix-based system? Proper compared to what?

It's POSIX UNIX certified OS, based on Darwin BSD.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

5 hours ago, patrick3027 said:

Nope, I'm pretty sure the 2016 new chassis base model had a 256 GB SSD. Anandtech agrees. Screenshot_20170606-092613.thumb.png.a9590787f75ba73e975c574a3fc64b70.png

But hey, at least they had the courage to think different I guess. Less is more after all (except when pricing is concerned). 

The 2016 model also started at $1499.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

20 hours ago, ResidentRad said:

The studio? Which doesn't use ECC memory? Which doesn't have USB-C ports? Which uses a weak GPU that is a joke for content creation? That Studio?

You realize that Professionals who are actually serious about drawing will not be buying an all in one? That Wacom still reigns supreme for dedicated drawing surfaces? The Studio is nice, don't get me wrong, but pros still blow several grand to get a dedicated tablet to draw on for a good reason. 

Honestly, calling the iMac Pro overpriced crap because it doesn't have a useless for desktop touchscreen? Really? You actually touch your desktop monitors? Your arms don't get fatigue from doing that?

Do you and people like you just like making shitposts about Apple over nothing?

Can I call it overpriced crap for having an 8 core Xeon and costing as much as a car?

1 hour ago, Valentyn said:

It's POSIX UNIX certified OS, based on Darwin BSD.

POSIX-certified, not POSIX UNIX certified. But sure, if that's what he thinks it is, I'm just curious what that tells him.

What does it tell you?