Apple Updates its Mac lineup: External GPU support, Kaby lake and a new iMac Pro

Just now, TechGod said:

I'm sorry. Did you just say that pros don't care about ECC?

Depends on the profession at what capacity their operations are operating at.

Pixar will care significantly about ECC memory. The small groups of animators being published by Mondo Media, not so much.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Pixar will care significantly about ECC memory. The small groups of animators being published by Mondo Media, not so much.

Apple traditionally sells to Hollywood, don't they? At least their pro machines. That and ECC memory is useful for scientific analysis and computing. 

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

yup, my point also don't think Pixar is buying shitty i Macs that overheat doing a basic task. 

8 minutes ago, TechGod said:

I'm sorry. Did you just say that pros don't care about ECC?

LMAO!!!! Holy shit I'm dying over here

yes i did, for the most part, most consumers also don't care. 

Just now, TechGod said:

Apple traditionally sells to Hollywood, don't they? At least their pro machines. That and ECC memory is useful for scientific analysis and computing. 

yup, those Windows and linux based render farms are all sold by apple. 

1 minute ago, TechGod said:

Apple happens to own Pixar, which haven't had a commercial flop since they acquired them, so it's no wonder that Pixar is a group of Apple loyalists in the professional setting. And since they've not had a flop, other high profile studios are likely to try to replicate that by replicating as many things Pixar does.

As for scientific computing, ECC is seen as a must have, but OSX is not. I believe Linux is prevalent there, and they typically spec out machines to fit their exact needs very closely.

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

up, my point also don't think pixer is buying shitty i macs that overheat doing a basic task. 

Pixar uses iMacs as part of their productivity stack. They'd also use iPad Pros of it wasn't for the fact that that they cap out at just under 13", and there is no sufficient way to connect them to their render farms. So long as their render farms have the hardware for 99% of their work flow, they could use EA's servers potatoes for the clients.

Pixar's client systems are either exclusively Apple, or damn near.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Apple happens to own Pixar,

i forgot about that

edit- pixer is owned by Disney now. 

Edited by nerdslayer1

Makes me wonder what they're cooking up for the modular Mac Pro.

I'll stick to Hackintosh'ing because I don't need the stability and requirements a pro needs but this stuff is interesting to say to least. The space grey enclosure is really beautiful too. 

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Apple happens to own Pixar, which haven't had a commercial flop since they acquired them, so it's no wonder that Pixar is a group of Apple loyalists in the professional setting. And since they've not had a flop, other high profile studios are likely to try to replicate that by replicating as many things Pixar does.

As for scientific computing, ECC is seen as a must have, but OSX is not. I believe Linux is prevalent there, and they typically spec out machines to fit their exact needs very closely.

Pixar uses iMacs as part of their productivity stack. They'd also use iPad Pros of it wasn't for the fact that that they cap out at just under 13", and there is no sufficient way to connect them to their render farms. So long as their render farms have the hardware for 99% of their work flow, they could use EA's servers potatoes for the clients.

My point wasn't whether or not macOS was needed but rather that someone said that pros don't use ECC which is WRONG

Just now, TechGod said:

My point wasn't whether or not macOS was needed but rather that someone said that pros don't use ECC which is WRONG

I don't think any blanket statement for or against ECC can be made. Some use it and some don't. It's both naive and just flat out wrong to say that "pros use ECC" or that "pros don't use ECC". 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That isn't true. Steve Jobs helped create it but Pixar has been owned by Disney for years now.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

6 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

Should be interesting to see how they decide to price this...  Best guesses in USD? (Mine are below)

iMac Pro: >$3500

iMac 27: >$2500

iMac 21: >$2000

About the best thing that I can see is it appears the Pro will be one of the first systems released to the public with Vega...

Nope, the base 8 core model starts at $5000

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

it will depend on the task at hand, most pros don't use ECC.   

But why is it a bad thing that Apple included it? You people complain when Apple is underpowered then also complain if they go overkill. Make up your damn mind

Just now, TechGod said:

But why is it a bad thing that Apple included it? You people complain when Apple is underpowered then also complain if they go overkill. Make up your damn mind

how is ECC memory overkill? the iMac will thermal throttle, what's the point of having overkill specs if you are not able to use it? 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

how is ECC memory overkill? the iMac will thermal throttle, what's the point of having overkill specs if you are not able to use it? 

How are you sure it will thermal throttle?

6 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Remember, that just gets you an 8-core.

You can sell your arm, leg, kids and house for the 18-core. Also, that's one hell of an underclock on the Vega GPU in here if it only does 22 TFLOPs HP when the stock version AMD has themselves does 25 TFLOPs.

Gotta keep it from melting somehow lol

3 minutes ago, TechGod said:

only history and the laws of thermodynamic tell me it will. do you have any idea how much heat an 18 core Xeon can put out? also, a Vega GPU, putting such high end components in a thin body without proper cooling seems dumb to me. imac-pro-thermal-100724910-orig.gif.4d5878e2388c1587841da1c5720d6334.gif

6 minutes ago, TechGod said:

Understanding the space constraints Apple's working under, it's a given that there will either be thermal throttling, or they'll have to use a cooling system that introduces excessive noise (and maybe draw excessive amounts of power). The render of their new design helps reinforce that it will throttle, but we don't know how much yet. It'd be a shame if the Xeon octocore Apple chose ends up performing as/worse than a lower tier hexacore (or worse, quadcore) counterpart due exclusively due to thermal throttling.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Thread cleaned (kinda)

Please keep this on-topic and within the Community Standards;

no flame wars, so no more pcpartpicker list of Windows machine VS Apple's machine, all this does is derail the thread and we (mods) have to lock the thread and issue warnings.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

No NVIDIA GPUs for the new Macs ?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

it will depend on the task at hand, most pros don't use ECC.   

I wouldn't say that. It depends on the industry. But I don't think most professional users who want ECC are really going want AIOs or macOS anyway...

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

No NVIDIA GPUs for the new Macs ?

No gaming :(

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

The real problem is that AMD GPUs are not optimized for modern open source scientific computing. The most popular libraries, TensorFlow and Theano take advantage of cuda and AMD has no real response. That being said, I use a Macbook Pro and eGPU for prototyping, and it works really well. 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

I'll be getting this Mac since I won't have to worry about viruses, it'll sync up perfectly with the rest of my Apple products, and if anything goes wrong I can go to the GeniusBar. Have I mentioned that it just works?

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler