Intel Coffee Lake CPUs Delayed to 2018, 8th Gen Gets Kaby Lake Refresh This Year

Mr_Troll

Intels Desktop Roadmap Detailed, Core X Series, Coffe Lake and Gemini Lake

The company will be introducing three product families over the next four quarters. The first is the high-end Core X series which the company introduced last week and includes Skylake X and Kaby Lake X CPUs and the X299 Chipset. These will include four core Kaby Lake X i5 7640X and i7 7740X CPUs as well as the 12, 8 & 6 core i9 and i7 Skylake X 7920X, 7900X, 7820X and 7800X CPUs, whilst the 18, 16 and 14 core parts will see a delayed launch.

Intels Coffe Lake delayed to February 2018, 8th Gen CPUs to feature Refreshed Kaby Lake Parts

The second family of products from the company will be aimed towards the mainstream market and will feature Intel’s six core and quad-core Coffee Lake CPUs and Z370 chipset. Intel has reportedly postponed these 8th generation parts to February of next year. Earlier reports indicated that the company had been attempting to push the launch to the second half of this year. However, if this recent report regarding the company’s latest roadmap is anything to go by, the company will now be launching refreshed Kaby Lake parts this year instead and postponing Coffee Lake to 2018.

The new family will not be compatible with current LGA 1151 boards and will require a new revision of the LGA 1151 socket dubbed the V2. These processors will feature 6 core, 12 thread i7 parts and 4 core, 8 thread i5 parts. This represents a substantial step away from Intel tradition of sticking to four cores for this segment. These higher core count processors are now a necessity to compete with AMD’s Ryzen in the mainstream.

It’s important to note that only a partial number of Coffee Lake SKUs will be available at first. The majority of Coffee Lake parts and 300 series motherboards will follow later in Q1 2018. For its 8th generation processors the company is said to be introducing a Kaby Lake refresh instead of Coffee Lake this year. The new 15W Kaby Lake U parts will double the core count from 2 to 4 and are said to deliver up to 30% better performance for Ultrabooks. They will be available in time for the back to school season.  

Intel Gemini Lake 

The third family of products is based on Intel’s BGA Gemini Lake chips which will feature 2 to 4 cores on a frugal TDP of 10W. These parts will be targeted towards small form factor machines and low power designs and will all be fused into motherboards. These chips will likely be popular amongst OEMs and PC manufacturers for HTPCs and NUCs. If you’re a DIY builder you’ll want to stick to the socketed parts instead. Gemini Lake is now scheduled to debut at the end of the year.

More good news. Coffe Lake wont work on the 1151 socket. Yay. and whats the point of a kaby lake refresh?

Source: http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-delayed-2018-8th-gen-kaby-lake-refresh/

http://winfuture.de/news,97927.html

https://www.golem.de/news/cpu-roadmap-kaby-lake-r-im-september-2017-coffee-lake-im-februar-2018-1706-128176.html

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

They were actually previously moved up from Q2 2018 so I guess they are still technically 6 months ahead of schedule.

Please fix quotes for night mode.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

Gemini Lake should be 10 nm BGA parts. Coffee Lake was supposed to be on schedule as of Computex, though this does confirm why X299 got the Kaby Lake parts. They were never quite sure if they could stay on schedule with it. 

Bring on the "7740k is the BEST GAMING CPU!" articles! :)

Since this isn't directly from Intel I wont blame them for now, but it sounds just as confusing as the HEDT situation.

Is KL refresh as "8th gen" going to be on 1151v2 then? Or is that reserved for CL? I'm thinking, if the chipset is ready but CL isn't, then they could use KL refresh as a temporary measure to fill the new mobos and get them out earlier.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Well at least the mainstream is finally getting 6 core CPU's from the intel side, even if it is too-little, too-late... (also now theyre going to have a 6 core mainstream i7 compete against a 6 core extreme i7?)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

11 minutes ago, Mr_Troll said:

More good news. Coffe Lake wont work on the 1151 socket.

Probably they had to tweak the socket somehow to accommodate the 6-core parts.

11 minutes ago, Mr_Troll said:

Yay. and whats the point of a kaby lake refresh?

Maybe improve the TIM, like in Haswell? Or maybe simply a more recent nominal release date for its mainstream product, and perhaps more factory OC to present a larger per-core speed margin over the competition. A bit like RX4xx to RX5xx (and now I'm going to forum hell because I dared to mention a different product from a different brand to make my point! :P).

It can also be an opportunity to re-design their marketing (which exact SKU lineup to offer and how much to charge for it), have reviewers re-test their products, etc.

Well, I expected Intel to be hiding some secret weapon under their sleeves, ready to punch AMD Ryzen after AMD earned enough money to last till they release their next gen CPU, but apparently they are caught off-guard, stuck in "some parts are not ready" status like Vega.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Not surprising that it won't support the older socket. Look back. It's been two generations of compatibility for a long time.

7 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Probably they had to tweak the socket somehow to accommodate the 6-core parts.

Highly unlikely. 

9 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Well at least the mainstream is finally getting 6 core CPU's from the intel side, even if it is too-little, too-late... (also now theyre going to have a 6 core mainstream i7 compete against a 6 core extreme i7?)

Nah. There will always be those who just prefer Intel over AMD. They do tend to have much nicer motherboards. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm most interested in the quad core Kaby Lake U CPUs. Finally, we might get some decently performing ultrabooks.

Mr_Troll

that's... strangely appropriate for this.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

yet another generation of 0-5%? really and another motherboard socket z370 and more quad cores at the same price since a decade ago? duh

Just now, dizmo said:

Nah. There will always be those who just prefer Intel over AMD. They do tend to have much nicer motherboards. 

That they do. Intel still also is a clear winner in single thread performance. I just feel that most of the people who want 6+ cores will have just opted into ryzen by the time this launches.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Other issue with Coffee Lake is the 8700k or 8750k (whichever is the 6 core part) is going to be competing against the i7-7800x.  The 7800x should probably be better? Single Core looks to be flat or slightly above Kaby Lake as it is, it'll have more access to power from the higher TDP'd socket and cooling setups designed for a much beefier CPU.

It would also seem that Z370 and the 300 series chipsets will be roughly releasing at the same time.  It's been a rough couple of weeks for Intel.

Is someone at Intel having a stroke? Or have they been dominant so long they forgot how to think?

X299 vastly over priced.

X299 higher core count models announced but no where near ready and no specs, what was even the point other than one-upping AMD?

X299 being unsoldered.

Kaby Lake -X.

X299 being heavily feature gated.

X299 having physical unlock keys at a premium.

Coffee Lake delayed and leaving LGA1151.

A refresh of skylake refresh.

WTF?!

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Is someone at Intel having a stroke? Or have they been dominant so long they forgot how to think?

X299 vastly over priced.

X299 higher core count models announced but no where near ready and no specs, what was even the point other than one-upping AMD?

X299 being unsoldered.

Kaby Lake -X.

X299 being heavily feature gated and over priced.

X299 having physical unlock keys at a premium.

Coffee Lake delayed and leaving LGA1151.

A refresh of skylake refresh.

WTF?!

The new socket was known for a while among the rumor mill, so that isn't too surprising.

Improved 14 nm process will be bringing uplift of a fairly good portion to the Low-Power CPUs. Same thing happened with AMD in that space: some nutty increases in efficiency from the improved process.  

Why is Intel starting to look like Apple? Releasing new stuff that's actually exactly the same, but different, but still the same.

Also i think it's hilarious to see Intel, the company that ruled for years, suddenly starting to fail at pretty much everything even tho AMD Ryzen is the only thing that's actually available right now (yes more is on the way but that's not here yet).

1 new range of cpu's, more announced and bad news about Intel starts to appear everywhere O_o The playing field is changing! :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

14 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Other issue with Coffee Lake is the 8700k or 8750k (whichever is the 6 core part) is going to be competing against the i7-7800x.  The 7800x should probably be better? Single Core looks to be flat or slightly above Kaby Lake as it is, it'll have more access to power from the higher TDP'd socket and cooling setups designed for a much beefier CPU.

It would also seem that Z370 and the 300 series chipsets will be roughly releasing at the same time.  It's been a rough couple of weeks for Intel.

Unless the new 6c have the same amount of lanes as the x299 then they won't be a direct competitor but they will make kabylake x even more useless than it already is atm.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

49 minutes ago, porina said:

Since this isn't directly from Intel I wont blame them for now, but it sounds just as confusing as the HEDT situation.

Is KL refresh as "8th gen" going to be on 1151v2 then? Or is that reserved for CL? I'm thinking, if the chipset is ready but CL isn't, then they could use KL refresh as a temporary measure to fill the new mobos and get them out earlier.

There's nothing more confusing than the HEDT situation.

We'll likely figure out how to optimize all current software to fully benefit the simultaneous processing nature of quantum computing before anyone explains the full stupidity that is intel's redefinition of the HEDT.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Unless the new 6c have the same amount of lanes as the x299 then they won't be a direct competitor but they will make kabylake x even more useless than it already is atm.

The Coffee Lake part should have the normal 16 lanes off the CPU (plus however many sent to the chipset), but without the different cache architecture that the SK-X parts got.  CPU cost is going to be roughly similar, and I don't know of any "great" new feature they can toss on the Z370 chipset that's going to be really valuable. (DDR5 will be on Ice Lake, the 10 nm mainstream GPUs.)

34 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The Coffee Lake part should have the normal 16 lanes off the CPU (plus however many sent to the chipset), but without the different cache architecture that the SK-X parts got.  CPU cost is going to be roughly similar, and I don't know of any "great" new feature they can toss on the Z370 chipset that's going to be really valuable. (DDR5 will be on Ice Lake, the 10 nm mainstream GPUs.)

Yeah if it does have the normal 16 lanes then people who want to use a lot of nvme/m.2/pcie drives or multi gpu setups will still need to go to x299 either way so those 6 cores will still sell but yeah I really don't know what intel is going to put on z370 as a new feature... RGB IHS ?

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

23 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Yeah if it does have the normal 16 lanes then people who want to use a lot of nvme/m.2/pcie drives or multi gpu setups will still need to go to x299 either way so those 6 cores will still sell but yeah I really don't know what intel is going to put on z370 as a new feature... RGB ISH ?

RCG PCIe slots.  The next innovation in putting RGB in everything!

Only interested on Canon Lake 6c/12t i7

10nm has to be a significant update on performance, tired of skylake refreshes as well.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

41 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I don't know of any "great" new feature they can toss on the Z370 chipset that's going to be really valuable.

Thunderbolt maybe? I know it isn't new, but it is far from available as standard. Wasn't it recently reported Intel wanted to push it out more? 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, tom_w141 said:

(...)

WTF?!

I obviously have no insider information, but here goes my conjecture:

- Intel knew Zen was coming at roughly where it would land in IPC terms, probably before the rest of us starting to get the salt trucks etc.

- Intel conceived it's next iteration of consumer and HEDT platform more or less knowing it will compete with Zen, but without knowing the details on what products would AMD exactly offer based on it.

- As a consequence, Intel was probably planning to toss us a bone or two on top of their typical incremental upgrades to defend its market position.

- AMD's actual product lineup, especially the release of an HEDT platform after it seemed they would try to compete X99 with AM4 8-cores (recall all the marketing being based on 1800X vs 6900K back then), was the only actually disruptive information Intel got this year, and got them a bit puzzled.

- They've been revising their plans products not yet released around the clock to try and make sure they still make sense. I think their main problem is that they had all the flexibility to design when they lacked information, and they got all the information at a point in which they are not as flexible since most of the engineering work is done.

Based on that assumed situation, I'd expect Intel to just juggle around what it has in the near future, and come up with a more "Ryzen-ready" plan for the subsequent generations.

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

Also i think it's hilarious to see Intel, the company that ruled for years, suddenly starting to fail at pretty much everything even tho AMD Ryzen is the only thing that's actually available right now (yes more is on the way but that's not here yet).

1 new range of cpu's, more announced and bad news about Intel starts to appear everywhere O_o The playing field is changing! :D

I think this goes to prove how easy it is to play keyboard CEO and/or keyboard engineer compared to actually doing the job :P 

Just like people were calling names to AMD staff for Bulldozer, now we have another extremist wave claiming Intel is lazy, ignorant, mismanaged... I think it's useful to pause for a moment, sit back and think calmly about the ebb and flow of this industry. How no amount of R&D spending can guarantee a dramatic breakthrough, and how companies need to play with whatever cards they have. Sometimes, you get a losing hand and no skill will prevent defeat, but you can try to cut back the losses, then get ready for the next hand.

Intel went from 60% market share to more than 80% in less than 15 years. It doesn't matter that Ryzen is not better than the best they have, there is no way they are going to keep such a high market share against a less crippled competitor. They knew AMD was going to take a bite at the market from the moment they got confirmation of Zen's IPC. Now it's all marketing what each one has the best they can until any other significant innovation takes place. There surely will be some trial and error in the process.