How to unpark CPU cores and is it safe?

Akolyte
Go to solution Solved by Akolyte,

Just unparked my cores! thanks guys!

I heard once that it was possible to unpark CPU cores and you could check them with recourse monitor, and I found parked cores! I use a core i7 3820 so I'm not sure if the parked cores are supposed to be parked cause they are just extra threads or what.  And if it is safe to unpark the cores or if they are like that for a reason.  Thanks, post-42942-0-69639700-1385093208_thumb.p

It is completely safe to unpark core :)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Just unparked my cores! thanks guys!

• 7 months later...

I too found parked cores. I have the Intel Core i7 4790 processor. If I make a restore point, and I have bad results, would doing a restore point undo the unparking if something should go wrong?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

There's a program that does it for you now:

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

Just download the program and follow the directions on the website. Pretty simple. 

Your way to late to the party sorry, I've completely built a completely different system already.  But thanks for your input. 

I too found parked cores. I have the Intel Core i7 4790 processor. If I make a restore point, and I have bad results, would doing a restore point undo the unparking if something should go wrong?

I guess, but.  Unparking shouldn't cause any issues.  It caused me issues because my system in general was unstable.  Unparking should not cause you problems, if it does I would expect it to be a hardware issue.

Ok, I have the software to do it, I just wanted to ask if it failed, would doing a restore "undo" the parking.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

Ok, I have the software to do it, I just wanted to ask if it failed, would doing a restore "undo" the parking.

System restore restores the registry, so yes.  It would.  But you could just undo it manually.  Unparking your cores wont cause Windows to not boot.  Dont worry.

Ok thank you! I'll try it and see if I can use all my cores, because this Intel Core i7 (model 4790) is really nice and it would be cool to use it all.