Pixel-morphing technology can improve display resolutions by 200%

Goldman
4 minutes ago, Pheelo said:

Yeah, probably dual could transmit 12K 45HZ but with a lossy compression. But Displayport 1.4 "only" has 25.92 Gbit/s, two could have 51.84 Gbit/s in theory. But a 8K 60HZ stream already has 49.65 Gbit/s, I estimate 12K 45HZ to be around 90 Gbit/s. But of course, with compression you can make it down to 51.84 Gbit/s, but I believe that they will come up with something better than Displayport 1.4 for 12K, before it goes mainstream anyway.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

question: wouldnt this probably make lower res monitor cheaper?

i mean, if you dont need 3 subpixels for each pixel, the quantity of "subpixels" would cut by 3, am i right?

also, while "12k" is obviously not something we would want(right now), being able to use my 1080 monitor at 4k for example could be useful, even if that doesn't end up being my native resolution

That's quite nice. We can sure have super resolutions. 8K monitor is already a thing. Beyond no doubt. I remember 16K@240Hz mentioned by Raja to be true immersion in VR that you won't be able to tell a part from real-world. That will be glorious. Specially when games will also look life like too. Definitely graphics processing power is yet to come to that level though. And monitor cable for such super high bandwidth. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I see this technology being less useful for boosting us to 12k or other absurd resolutions, because after all, we still need systems to push that many pixels. If we are ever to see practical application of this method, it's going to be in drastically reducing the price of existing panels. If we can push 4k, for example, out of a panel that is basically just a glorified 1080p panel, then we can start seeing the prices of 4k panels drop to 1080p price points. More interestingly, 1080p boosted from shit resolution panels may become so cheap to purchase, that we'll just start throwing them on things for no apparent reason than just because they're gunna be like $50 for a 60fps 1080p panel. A whole new RGB style takeover of consumer electronics, but instead, covering everything with HD screens, lol.

14 hours ago, RuLeZ said:

Cool, cant wait for my 12k smartphone. Jk, I barely notice the difference from 720p to 1440p on a 5" device :P

*12k smart watch lol

5 hours ago, positivePXL said:

I see this technology being less useful for boosting us to 12k or other absurd resolutions, because after all, we still need systems to push that many pixels. If we are ever to see practical application of this method, it's going to be in drastically reducing the price of existing panels. If we can push 4k, for example, out of a panel that is basically just a glorified 1080p panel, then we can start seeing the prices of 4k panels drop to 1080p price points. More interestingly, 1080p boosted from shit resolution panels may become so cheap to purchase, that we'll just start throwing them on things for no apparent reason than just because they're gunna be like $50 for a 60fps 1080p panel. A whole new RGB style takeover of consumer electronics, but instead, covering everything with HD screens, lol.

Imagine computercases being made out entirely of full hd screens because they are so cheap lmao

Mighty Morphin Pixelators

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

19 hours ago, goldman said:

http://www.techspot.com/news/69516-pixel-morphing-technology-can-improve-display-resolutions-200.html

Sounds awesome, though i honestly don't think any manufacturer is gonna apply this to their current products, probably we'll start seeing "12k" monitors or something crazy like that sometime soon though(if i understood the article correctly lol)

If only that quote in your OP was three times the not-black text on black baground.